Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Costs involved with running a car in Australia

Costs involved with running a car in Australia

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

DBJA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Costs involved with running a car in Australia

Hi All, are the costs of owning a car the same in Australia as in the UK. IE Car tax, MOT, Insurance. Im struggling to find an answer.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 10:14 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Costs involved with running a car in Australia

Hi,

We pay;

Registration (a bit like car tax I suppose) - I pay ~$600 per year in Brisbane for a 4 cylinder car
Insurance - you can get different types (comprehensive, third party) and it does seem to differ a little State to State. I have fully comprehensive insurance and pay ~$500 per year (no claims, >25 years of age)
MOT - no MOT, once the car is deemed 'Roadworthy' at the time of sale (either new or when sold between owners second hand) there is no ongoing need for an annual check.
Licensing - Drivers Licence is a bit dearer than the UK (I think?) I just renewed for 5 years for $165.

I also have road assistance (like AA) through RACQ for ~$100 per year and get my car serviced regularly (depends what needs to be done ~$200 per year)

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Western Australia and have a new car.

My annual registration fee is about $700 a year and that includes third-party insurance.

For top-plan comprehensive insurance, I pay $50 per month, and that is with one accident last year that caused my other car to be written off (a storm knocked over a tree onto the highway right after a big sweeping bend in the road - I didn't see it until I had already hit it). My wife has an older car with no accidents and pays $20 per month.

I had RAC insurance and they wrote off the car and paid my claim in full within one week of the accident. Go with them when you come.

I drive about 5,000 km every month and get the car serviced frequently, at between $100-$200 each time.

Tyres run about $130 each for a mid-level (Taiwanese) brand. Chinese low-level tyres run about $100 each and American high-level tyres are about $200 each.

Drivers' licence was about the same as the earlier poster said, I don't remember exactly but I did it for 5 years and that fee seems about what I paid.

I came here with a Middle Eastern licence as I had been there for several years - in Western Australia I had 90 days to convert it but had to do both the theory and practical tests again. My wife came with an Italian licence and just had to do the theory test. There was a cost but I can't remember how much. Less than $100 for each I am thinking. I think (but could be wrong) that with a UK licence you will just have to do the theory one again. Note that an "International Licence" is not actually a licence, it is just a translation of your existing licence.

Petrol where I live is currently $1.30/litre but that is much higher than it's been recently.

If you come I do recommend you have a car, regardless of where you live. Public transport is not as comprehensive as it is in the UK.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 1:06 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

In NSW, Rego ( road tax ) is $ 400-$600 per year, Compulsory 3rd party only insurance $400-$600 per year, Comprehensive Insurance $500 to $1000 per year, annual pink slip ( MOT ) is about $35 plus any repairs that need doing. Petrol is about $1.45 per litre this week. All the states have a different setup - none of them agree on anything.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 6:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
My annual registration fee is about $700 a year and that includes third-party insurance.
Worth noting that compulsory third party insurance paid alongside rego does not having the same meaning as it does in the UK. CTP covers you for personal injury you cause to other drivers, but not damage to their vehicles.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 8:47 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Worth noting that compulsory third party insurance paid alongside rego does not having the same meaning as it does in the UK. CTP covers you for personal injury you cause to other drivers, but not damage to their vehicles.
Yep. I had to brake suddenly while doing 100km per hour, when a truck in front of me lost its load. The vehicle behind me crashed into and under mine, $10,000 damage to my vehicle. The driver only had CTP so incurred a huge debt.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks to all of you for your comments. Were looking to move to South Australia, Adelaide area.

Just to confirm from everyone's comments:

Car Tax = Annual Registration @ around $600 a year

MOT = Pink slip roadworthy certificate and costs around $35 a year before repairs. But only applies in some states

Comprehensive insurance is $500 - $1000

Breakdown is $100 - $200

Drivers licence has to be renewed regularly?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 7:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/driving...s-and-licences
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
In NSW, Rego ( road tax ) is $ 400-$600 per year, Compulsory 3rd party only insurance $400-$600 per year, Comprehensive Insurance $500 to $1000 per year, annual pink slip ( MOT ) is about $35 plus any repairs that need doing. Petrol is about $1.45 per litre this week. All the states have a different setup - none of them agree on anything.
I just renewed our compulsory 3rd party and it was more like $700- $800 which was a bit of a shock compared to previous years. There appears to be some new thanks for coming levy on it now worth about $200. The name of it escapes me.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DBJA
Thanks to all of you for your comments. Were looking to move to South Australia, Adelaide area.

Just to confirm from everyone's comments:

Car Tax = Annual Registration @ around $600 a year

MOT = Pink slip roadworthy certificate and costs around $35 a year before repairs. But only applies in some states

Comprehensive insurance is $500 - $1000

Breakdown is $100 - $200

Drivers licence has to be renewed regularly?
Pink slip is only if your car is of a certain age.

CTP in Qld, NSW and ACT. About $700- $800

We don't bother with breakdown
Old Jan 24th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In Adelaide I just renewed my rego and insurance for my three year old VW golf. Rego was $719. Insurance $730. No choice with rego but you can get cheaper insurance, just not as good ( always read the small print). Just had a log book service at $280. RAA recovery basic was $97.

Petrol prices are up and down here. Today 95 was $1.29 last week it was $1.43!

Most petrol stations quote the basic 91 unleaded price on signs but the mark up for 95 or 98 seems to vary a lot and you have to pull up to the pump to know for sure. Thankfully I don't use a lot of fuel so not really an issue and still feels cheap compared to UK to fill the tank.
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

WA diesel Tiguan
License + Third Party + Motor Injury Insurance(Catastrophic Injuries Support Scheme) $770
Comprehensive Insurance - $212
Service every 20,000Km - $240
Roadside assist - $120
Fuel varies $1 to $1.35 /Ltr ( 4.9ltr per 100kms )
Old Jan 28th 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben
WA diesel Tiguan
License + Third Party + Motor Injury Insurance(Catastrophic Injuries Support Scheme) $770
Comprehensive Insurance - $212
Service every 20,000Km - $240
Roadside assist - $120
Fuel varies $1 to $1.35 /Ltr ( 4.9ltr per 100kms )
That comp insurance is cheap!
Old Jan 28th 2017, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
That comp insurance is cheap!
AAMI online discount plus vari excess $150 (standard $550 = $700 )

never pay a renewal always go back online as the discount for years held doesnt equal their online discount !
Old Jan 29th 2017, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replys