Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

costs involved in move to aus

costs involved in move to aus

Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Sas1985kia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: costs involved in move to aus

Oh dear, starting to think it going to put of out reach :-( don't think there's anyway we will be able to save up that kind of money :-(
Old Sep 16th 2014, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

Childcare may be $100 a day in WA. My daughter in Sydney's eastern suburbs pays $140 a day and the other daughter pays $110 in the southern suburbs. They do get up to $150 a week back. As a result nearly all my friends have ended up minding the grandkids one or two days a week to help out and we also have to help out when the kids cannot go because of illness.
People with kids who currently have family backup need to think long and hard about moving countries and being without it.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, how much is child care in London or surrounding London commutable areas? I have never checked. Is there a govt rebate?
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

My grandson was born in London and started childcare in West Hampstead before they returned to Oz. I cannot recall what they paid but it was at least as much as Sydney. They did not get any rebate but they were on Highly Skilled Visas so perhaps if they had PR they may have.
The strongest reason that bought them home was the difficulty when he got sick as they have no relatives in the UK (my grandson is proudly a 9th generation Aussie, descended from a convict who arrived in 1792!!) We are so happy to have them home even though it involves a fair bit of work by us!
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

So a quick search finds me looking at somewhere between 150-250 quiddies a week. And there are tax credits and the like but as usual my friendly accountant wasn't on hand to drawl through the tax dribble to figure it all out.

Childcare Costs Help - Money Saving Expert
Old Sep 16th 2014, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rachelanna
My grandson was born in London and started childcare in West Hampstead before they returned to Oz. I cannot recall what they paid but it was at least as much as Sydney. They did not get any rebate but they were on Highly Skilled Visas so perhaps if they had PR they may have.
The strongest reason that bought them home was the difficulty when he got sick as they have no relatives in the UK (my grandson is proudly a 9th generation Aussie, descended from a convict who arrived in 1792!!) We are so happy to have them home even though it involves a fair bit of work by us!
Yeah well I live between Sydney and London and we have no grandparents in either place. All have retired to the peaceful life away from the big smokes. Makes for great, free holidays though. Its childcare all the way for us.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:10 am
Just Joined

I imagine childcare in London would be ridiculously high! We live in Liverpool! It costs is £30 a day at a childminder for my youngest daughter! My 3 yr old has 15hours a week free in preschool (as all 3 year olds have in the uk) she goes 8.30-11-30 daily and we can pay £10 for her to stay until 3.30 which is very cheap. I obviously work shifts as a nurse but my husband is a postman and finishes at 2pm daily so can pick kids up. To be honest the prospect of moving is looking further and further from possible! I think I had in my head it would be much easier than the reality!
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It aint cheap. I think we spent $30k. Though we did not do it on the cheap and I took full advantage of the company moving allowance.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:45 am
Just Joined

Is there no such thing as relocation packages anymore?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sas1985kia
Is there no such thing as relocation packages anymore?
Yes. I referred to mine as a moving allowance. It was a relocation package but the nightmare HR person kept the package so well hidden I refer to it as an allowance.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 2:06 am
Just Joined

Was that as a nurse?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was that as a nurse?
No way
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:07 am
Just Joined

Oh lol
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

I imagine childcare in London would be ridiculously high! We live in Liverpool! It costs is £30 a day at a childminder for my youngest daughter! My 3 yr old has 15hours a week free in preschool (as all 3 year olds have in the uk) she goes 8.30-11-30 daily and we can pay £10 for her to stay until 3.30 which is very cheap. I obviously work shifts as a nurse but my husband is a postman and finishes at 2pm daily so can pick kids up. To be honest the prospect of moving is looking further and further from possible! I think I had in my head it would be much easier than the reality!
I am honestly not trying to be deliberately negative but if you decide it is all too hard for factual reasons you will be more content.
If you use a childminder, ie nanny, in Sydney, the cost is about $25 an hour and at this stage there is no government rebate at all. In NSW, school is only free from roughly five years of age up and all preschools involve fees.When kids start school parents provide a picnic type lunch or send money to purchase food if there is a canteen. Most schools require parents to provide a large range of items and pay for any optional activities.
Also, Dental care is not included in Medibank and most people end up paying quite a lot out of pocket for healthcare.
Perhaps you are already aware that Australia Post are seriously looking at cutting down to three deliveries a week so there is unlikely to be work available there for a long time.
Our provision of social welfare falls between that of Europe and the US and the current government is very determined to cut it down further.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

My daughter paid 95 pounds a day in London, without rebates as not a resident, but she says that was expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.