Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of University in Aus

Cost of University in Aus

Old Apr 14th 2003, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Cost of University in Aus

Thinking ahead for when my 12 year old goes to Uni - yes he is already keen!

I picked up a brochure at the Emigration Fair on Queensland's Uni's and it stated that courses for undergraduates cost between $14 000 - $28 000 dollars p.a.

Are there any bursaries or grants towards the costs or do parents / students have to foot all of the bill?

I know they have the system where you can borrow the money and the student pays it back out of their wages when they earn above a certain amount.

Sounds a bit pricey compared to the < £2000 p.a fees we get over here.

Has anyone got a child at Uni or know any further info about this?

Thanks - think I will start saving up anyway!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 11:12 pm
Perthguy1

Default Re: Cost of University in Aus

Originally posted by tinaj
Thinking ahead for when my 12 year old goes to Uni - yes he is already keen!

I picked up a brochure at the Emigration Fair on Queensland's Uni's and it stated that courses for undergraduates cost between $14 000 - $28 000 dollars p.a.

Are there any bursaries or grants towards the costs or do parents / students have to foot all of the bill?

I know they have the system where you can borrow the money and the student pays it back out of their wages when they earn above a certain amount.

Sounds a bit pricey compared to the < £2000 p.a fees we get over here.

Has anyone got a child at Uni or know any further info about this?

Thanks - think I will start saving up anyway!

You have the option to pay up front per year, or part payment, or HECS( which means that you don't pay anything until the student gets a job and starts to earn a certain amount, then they pay it back at a percentage of their wage).

http://www.hecs.gov.au/

Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Stan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant futureStan J has a brilliant future

Remember there will be a difference between student fees for an overseas student compared to a permanent resident.

A quick look at the UQ website suggested an example of yearly fees of $4,700 per year see http://www.uq.edu.au/study/index.html?id=7986 on top of that would be any Tuition fees plus Living Expenses

That to me looks about the same as your two thousand pound.
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:49 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Stan J
Remember there will be a difference between student fees for an overseas student compared to a permanent resident.

A quick look at the UQ website suggested an example of yearly fees of $4,700 per year see http://www.uq.edu.au/study/index.html?id=7986 on top of that would be any Tuition fees plus Living Expenses

Flippin' 'eck, should be only for citizens. I'll talk to me member!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Stan J

Thanks Stan, It does sound more realistic!

I guess they just handed out the brochure to prospective migrants without thinking that we will pay resident fees and not oversea fees.

Phew, as I have 3 children this is a bit of a relief!!

Old Apr 16th 2003, 3:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Having been throught the UNI thing, can I make a couple of points. Uni fees go in 3 bands depending on the course, highest band is just under 6 grand, 4.5 for the lowest. This does not include books etc, allow a thousand for the first year.

Accommodation in UNi rooms are about $186 a week. This is often necessary, UNI places are quite limited, places like Brisbane have higher entry requirements and thousands of kids competing for 15-200 places in each course. Often then kids have to go to Universities further off, many of my kids friends ended up with offers in Northren Qld about 15 hours drive away, or Toowomba, 3/4 hours drive so living in is probably going to be part of the real cost. From memory it cost us about $14,000 a year in real terms despite the fees only being 5 grand. Private Uni is another alternative the fees you suggested are correct but often the course can be done in say 3 years instead of 4. Sunshine coast has a UNi, although the courses are very limited to Arts business type and I was told only 10% of the applicants got places last year. Fees can be deferred and paid back by the kids when they start work but accomodation must all be paid up front. Depending on what the kids want to study, distance education is possible for some if they cant get a Uni place. Hope that helps D
Old Apr 16th 2003, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by dotty
Having been throught the UNI thing, can I make a couple of points. Uni fees go in 3 bands depending on the course, highest band is just under 6 grand, 4.5 for the lowest. This does not include books etc, allow a thousand for the first year.

Accommodation in UNi rooms are about $186 a week. This is often necessary, UNI places are quite limited, places like Brisbane have higher entry requirements and thousands of kids competing for 15-200 places in each course. Often then kids have to go to Universities further off, many of my kids friends ended up with offers in Northren Qld about 15 hours drive away, or Toowomba, 3/4 hours drive so living in is probably going to be part of the real cost. From memory it cost us about $14,000 a year in real terms despite the fees only being 5 grand. Private Uni is another alternative the fees you suggested are correct but often the course can be done in say 3 years instead of 4. Sunshine coast has a UNi, although the courses are very limited to Arts business type and I was told only 10% of the applicants got places last year. Fees can be deferred and paid back by the kids when they start work but accomodation must all be paid up front. Depending on what the kids want to study, distance education is possible for some if they cant get a Uni place. Hope that helps D
Thanks Dotty,

The fees and costs etc sound quite similar to over here then.
I can imagine it must be hard to get into certain UNis, will have to make sure he studies hard or earns a lot of money to live in!!

What is a private Uni ?!!
Do you just hand over the money and they give you a degree!