Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of sydney rentals

cost of sydney rentals

Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:53 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Default cost of sydney rentals

Id like to gauge the cost of rentals in sydney area - how much are you paying for your rental and where are you based?-Ive been told rentals in bondi are extortionate, exactly how bad is the rental situation over east? cheers for any input you have chaps
Old Apr 11th 2006, 2:19 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of sydney rentals

Don't know about South of the harbour but we were paying $720pw for an apartment in Manly a year ago.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 2:32 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't know about South of the harbour but we were paying $720pw for an apartment in Manly a year ago.
Holy cow wolman! Must have been some apartment?

We had friends payng $600 in Manly for an ok 2br unit with shared pool and LUG, just up from the wharf and we thought that was steep.
We've had 3 diff rentals (Kirribilli, Queenscliff and Avalon) and paid $350-450pw for 2 bedders with views, or in the case of Av a nice garden.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:03 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

We pay $360 pw for a 2 bed house (no parking) in Rozelle. It was a bit of a bargain, we were considering paying $500 to get a 2 bd house in the area but then found this place. It's probably due a bit of a paint etc but we've never been fussed about having a brand new / full of modern things type of place. Found it through SMH.

Previous place in Bondi Junction was $400pw (they wanted $410, but we negotiated - I don't think that would happen in the current market) for a 2 bed unit in a 70s block, communal gardens but no pool or gym, but it had a DLUG (double lock-up garage). I ended up really hating it there due to the poor construction of the units (shoddy 70s jobs, lots of them in Bondi) which meant you could hear the neighbours and it was freezing in winter and even in summer, it was too cold to sit on the balcony as it was in constant shade. Again, found it via SMH.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Id like to gauge the cost of rentals in sydney area - how much are you paying for your rental and where are you based?-Ive been told rentals in bondi are extortionate, exactly how bad is the rental situation over east? cheers for any input you have chaps
My cousin's renting in Prymont, $480/week, a very basic 1-2 bed terrace unit in a heritage area. Rents for nearby newer apartments are $700+/week.

Mrs JTL
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

Sattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really niceSattman is just really nice

We're moving into a large 3 bed / 2 bathroom house in Matraville for $550 a week. Found it through a justlisted.com.au alert on the Thursday, inspection on Saturday.

No local rail links, 40-45 minute bus ride from CBD. Walking distance to Maroubra beach, ANZAC range. Malabar beach and Long Bay Correctional Centre :scared:
Attached Thumbnails cost of sydney rentals-our-house.jpg  

Last edited by Sattman; Apr 11th 2006 at 4:03 am.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I am paying $405pw 2 bedroom top floor unit in cremorne with excellent views over the harbour
Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

We have a largish 2br apartment (needs some work) opposite Coogee Beach, with views, that we rent out for $380.

If it was in better condition we'd get an extra $40 a week for it.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 4:56 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

wow, i feel like i have a bargin. we pay $250 a week for a three bedroom brick house with a huge garden. then again we live in st clair which is about an hour from the city on the train.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 6:44 am
Just Joined

Jellyface is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just been through the joyful process of finding a rental - we were looking for a modern 1-bed, Eastern Suburbs.

We went to around 15-20 places over 2 weeks. Looked at Bondi Junction - saw one too small and noisy at 390pw. Just missed out on one in the Tiffany building at 450pw. Paddington area - between 350pw and 400pw for a 1-bed unit. We saw quite a few units that were really grotty - torn up carpets, ingrained dirt in the furniture. It seems that some landlords/agents are not fussy about what they show..

We ended up in a small, modern place at 450pw in Elizabeth Bay - no parking, bay view, concierge, pool, gym, steam room - 5 mins walk to Kings X Station.

Bondi doesn't seem overpriced to me. No train connection if you are on the beach (lots of buses though or you can get one just to Bondi Jctn to take the train into town).

Not sure where you are from, Squeezzii, and how the Sydney rental market compares to your place. We moved from the UK; here is how we found our place & some of this may be helpful for you to ascertain what you can get with the budget you had in mind:

1. Look at Domain.com.au, realestate.com.au, justlisted.com.au - including pics & rents
2. Wednesday & Saturday are the big viewing days - go with a weeks rent, references from your last landlords, passport photocopies, job reference letter
3. Be prepared for between 2-10 other people at the viewing - I came from work, was wearing a suit and I'm sure I got preference over some of the other people in casual clothes in putting the offer in on the apartment we took.
4. Our limited experience of real estate agents in Australia give the impression that they are, if its possible, less charming than in the UK. They dont return calls, they arent bothered if you pitch up to a viewing or not - they generally know that they will rent the place quickly so be persistent.
5. We missed out on 2 places because someone had already taken it before the official viewing - when I kept pestering for an early private viewing, there were still 2 other couples there with us...

Best of luck,
JF
Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:24 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hiya we are in Glenwood which is in the hills district takes hubby an hour in rush hour traffic to get Gladesville and takes me around an hour to get into the city via train we are in a 4 bed house no pool or aircon(but have seen some properties around here cheaper with air con) but nice size if you have a family and we are paying $380 a week. Both hubby and i have cars and the proximity to the m2 and m7 is good in the uk we lived right by the m6 so living here is the same as when we were in the uk only nicer. We are in this area because of the proximity to the motorways as hubby works all over NSW. Am happy to say i don't have to go into the city very often as i stay at home with my son but have found plenty of things for us to do during the day.

poshrice
Attached Thumbnails cost of sydney rentals-our-house-car-03-2006.jpg  
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:03 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Paying $180pw for a 2 bed unit in Marrickville....
Old Apr 11th 2006, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

dani is an unknown quantity at this point

Moved to Bondi last July. Looked at a few 2br units varying prices $275-$450 pwk. Viewed one A.M. $350 with lug, balcony and internal laundry, saw another P.M. with none of the above, they wanted $360 negotiated to $300. Rent has just gone up $20 pwk, not bad for the area, 10min walk to the Junction and 20min to the beach, no fee on street parking. It also depends which time of the year you are hoping to start renting, if back-packer time forget it prices go way up.
Dani
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:21 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

wow theres some food for thought! thanks a mill everyone!
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

we are paying $340 per week for 2 bed unit with internal laundry, parking under building, pool, balcony, no air con but fans. We are in Mona Vale, 1 min from the beach. Takes an hour to get to city in peak time on the bus. I really love it here but may move towards the city after 6 months or so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.