Reload this Page >

Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of Shipping four legged friends

Yosemite
The Springer has brain washed the Labrador into thinking its a Springer. The Lab is just about as Loopy as Springo, but unfortunately is not quite so graceful at full speed.
Great fun, but by now should realise that she just cannot go where the Springer goes.
My Springer is hyper, not unusual for her to end up on top of shed or something high, just to be king of the castle over the lab! I have never seen a dog being able to climb like her, if she can get a hold with a front nail then she manages to scramble up onto anything. :scared: Knowing these two there's a good chance they will sleep through most of the drama, though not sure how they will handle the quarantine kennels? I hope they just think they are on their very own special holidays
Originally Posted by YoSemite
yeah i'm a bit peeved at the cost but like you bri... it's all or nothing!

i told my dad abou taking the dogs and he just didn't understand why i was willing to spend all that money on a couple of dogs.... and this man has had dogs all his life! heartless begger hehehehe

I've had quotes from:

ParAir
Jets4Pets
Pet exports
Golden Arrow
Animal Airlines
James Cargo

and another couple i can't remember. there was 1 that came in cheaper than J4P but they sounded a bit dodgy and wanted me to do all the paperwork (which kinda defeats the purpose of paying someone to do it don't you think!). all quotes were for flying out around the 10th January - Edinburgh to Melbourne

they guy who's dealing with my quote is bryan email: bryan.love @jets4pets.com and i'll let you all know how i get on with them.

ginny: re your dogs boosters.... i was in a similar position back in may when i took my dogs for their boosters back in may... lepto is quite high in my area so vet contacted DEFRA who confirmed that we'd be better off getting it done since plan was to ship in january. because it was on the 6month border they went for the "get it done" vote.... had it been earlier they would have told us not to do it. i would defo speak to your vet about this one.

i did consider trying to pass my dogs off as seeing eye dogs or hearing dogs etc..... that way they could travel up top with me.... but my dogs, being typical spaniels, are total nutters so that would never work. worth a try if you've got a retriever or labrador tho eh!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

f
x
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

yeah spingers have a nasty habit of convincing other dogs that they can all be springers too..... secertly (between you and me) i think springers wrote the book on brainwashing people and are probably responsible for the majority of the worlds bizarre cults!!

Sister in laws dog also believes himself to be a spinger (altho only when he visits us) and is also not quite as graceful (or agile) going full tilt!

we have one springer (Bailey) who's a climber and jumper. from when she was just a wee nipper (literally) she's taken to sitting on our wide windowsills and has even been known to clear the sofa (and my dad's breakfast bar on one occassion) in 1 foul swoop....... agility classes for her in oz me thinks!

the pupster (who is now 7 months old) is a bouncer.... all the time just bounces everywhere.... no walking or running or anything like that - just bouncing. if i was disney inclined i should have called her tigger! (but we went for Brogan instead!)

i'm sure my 2 will come through everythink unscathed (they probably won't even notice!) - am just concered about any fence jumping abilities they may have! teehehehehe

f
x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

bri.thomson will become famous soon enough

Yes Springers have a lot to answer for.
I can remember the needle nippers when Brooke was a youngster and Boy was she a handful.
You definitely have the right idea, Springers in a household need to be paired.
I tend to find that Brooke is a climber rather than a 'jumper' so any fencing needs to be inclined toward the garden, then its not a problem.

I contacted jet4pets and although they didn't give me precise figures, his initial "thoughts" was that £5-600 cheaper per dog than what I was originally quoted after I had given him the general sizes and weights of the dogs, so I am waiting to get an official form from them to fill out and they said they would give me an itemised quote back from there.
They did say that quarantine space was sometimes quite tight so I would need to give them probably about 2 months notice!

At times it seems so much to do and so little time to fit it all in. The dogs are due their rabies and vaccinations again in January so I guess I will have to suss out the Lepo thing situation and take it from there.

So you are off quite soon?
Where do you intend to settle in Brisbane once you get down there? Do you already have an area in mind?
Good Luck
Bri.
yeah spingers have a nasty habit of convincing other dogs that they can all be springers too..... secertly (between you and me) i think springers wrote the book on brainwashing people and are probably responsible for the majority of the worlds bizarre cults!!

Sister in laws dog also believes himself to be a spinger (altho only when he visits us) and is also not quite as graceful (or agile) going full tilt!

we have one springer (Bailey) who's a climber and jumper. from when she was just a wee nipper (literally) she's taken to sitting on our wide windowsills and has even been known to clear the sofa (and my dad's breakfast bar on one occassion) in 1 foul swoop....... agility classes for her in oz me thinks!

the pupster (who is now 7 months old) is a bouncer.... all the time just bounces everywhere.... no walking or running or anything like that - just bouncing. if i was disney inclined i should have called her tigger! (but we went for Brogan instead!)

i'm sure my 2 will come through everythink unscathed (they probably won't even notice!) - am just concered about any fence jumping abilities they may have! teehehehehe

f
x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

yeah J4P said i should give them as much notice as possible for melbourne quaratine. I know from the folk on the ground that it does book up quite quickly.

and tell me about having so much to do with no time....my head is just spinning!!! i finish my full time job next week. I work as a residential social worker - only do 10 days a month full time cos it's live in position (2 days on 4 days off) and I've still had hardly any time to get stuff done.... fair play to all of you who have fulltime mon - fri 9 - 5 jobs whilst trying to sort all this out... i don't know how you do it! Plan is to fly out early-mid jan and that should give me enough time to find a rental before term starts near the end of feb.

as for where i'm planning to settle in brisvegas...... anywhere that'll have me and the dogs! I'm gonna take the first decent house that comes along even if i'm not sure of the area and that'll give me at least 6 months to find somewhere i really like.

springers do need to be in a pair, or at the very least with another (mad) dog. my 2 are practically identical - it's getting to the stage where i really have to look at them to tell them apart!

people told me about the 2 dog rule but whilst i only had bailey i didn't believe them.... now that brogan has come along i can totally see where there coming from. Was very concerned about hauling bailey on her own all the way to australia and putting her through quaratine by herself which is why i got brogan before we moved. a very expensive choice but it's been worth it so far! g-d i think this is more difficult than having kids you know!!!

now as for fencing..... i'm thinking a 6ft fence inclined towards the house should just about do it for my 2!! i'll let you know how i go! hehehehe

f
x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:41 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

f
x
Oh my god, I totally agree about Springers, I have a 2 year old male ESS flying out next week (we are already here - wanted time to settle in a bit) and the friends who are looking after him said that he never stops - think they are in need of a holiday when Fudge goes.

I agree that ESS need to be paired up and we are planning on getting a boxer (just the same madness as ESS) when Fudge has settled in - we are hoping the heat may calm him down but very much doubt that Saying that we wouldnt change him for the world.

Anyway he costs £1,800 with Golden Arrows - who I can recommend for their excellent service (tell you more when he arrives) but up to now they have been brilliant !!

Manders x
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

you can get friends too look after your springer..... he must be well trained! hehehehe

let me know how he gets on with the heat - i'll be interested to see how mine cope with that. Have a friend who lives in rural QLD who has a 1/2 full bath round the back of her house.... her dogs (3 rotties) all go for a paddle in there when the heat gets a bit much for them.

hey mandy lets meet up and take the dogs for a run once mine arrive..... anyone else in Brisvegas area is welcome to join....

f
x
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:42 am

Mandy&Stu is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah cant believe I got a friend to look after Fudge - saying that she is a dog trainer and also lives at a horse-riding school so plenty of fields, she just said that she cant believe that the other dogs walk round any puddles but fudge dives straight in and manages to find one even on dry days !! Oh and hes not liver/white now he's liver/black he gets picked up on saturday from Golden Arrows so cant wait to start the countdown

When does your dog arrive ? What area you in ? Yeah THEY could take us for a run !!!

Manders x

you can get friends too look after your springer..... he must be well trained! hehehehe

let me know how he gets on with the heat - i'll be interested to see how mine cope with that. Have a friend who lives in rural QLD who has a 1/2 full bath round the back of her house.... her dogs (3 rotties) all go for a paddle in there when the heat gets a bit much for them.

hey mandy lets meet up and take the dogs for a run once mine arrive..... anyone else in Brisvegas area is welcome to join....

f
x
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

my dogs haven't left yet........ infact neither have I... i'm still stuck in scotland (altho thankfull it's been quite warm today with a high of 6c!!!!)

plan is for us to arrive min jan (ish) and the dogs to follow a month or so later.

in a mad related story... i bathed the big dog the other day cos she'd got herself covered in an unknown substance (i think it could have been pen!!) then took her outside for a quick run where she found some lovely dry soil to roll in.... back in bath for her then! what a muppet!

f
x