Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cost of shipping etc?

cost of shipping etc?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:33 pm
patrickgoldsmith

patrickgoldsmith is on a distinguished road
Cool cost of shipping etc?

Hi there, we have decided to apply after churning it over for years basically,and we will after a bit of work for the tra have enough points we are trying without an agent to keep the costs down but blowing a few quid ona 2 week hol on the sushine coast (where we hope to settle) sometime this year. I seem to ask the most boring questions while some of you peeps are on here providing light relief!! but trying to add up approx what i will start out with i will prob be asking about ass costs for some time as they arise.
We are prob shipping basic furniture +my tools for jewellery (the tools are about five items no bigger than 3ft square and some hand tools small drills etc
should we take washing machine advised against fridge!.
So another boring question,
can you guys give examples of shipping costs please??
tried to dress this one up
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:59 pm
Barbie chef extrordinaire

PhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the roughPhillN01 is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: cost of shipping etc?

Hi there

I had a quote from FOX removals a few weeks back for £3000
that was for a 20" container them to pack and wrap. ship it storage for 1 month, £4500 if you want a 40" this will take all your bit bobs and a car.

Hope this helps

Nigel P
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:02 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Default Re: cost of shipping etc?

Originally Posted by PhillN01
Hi there

that was for a 20" container them to pack and wrap. ship it storage for 1 month, £4500 if you want a 40" this will take all your bit bobs and a car.

Hope this helps

Nigel P
Thanks Nigel v helpful
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:17 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by PhillN01
Hi there

Hope this helps

Nigel P
What are you taking nigel arebitish t.vs and electrical goods o.k to take
Cheers mate
Patrick
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:28 pm
Living the Dream

RockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant futureRockHopper has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by patrickgoldsmith
What are you taking nigel arebitish t.vs and electrical goods o.k to take
Cheers mate
Patrick
We are moving from Swindon to Canberra, the quotes we have had seem to be in the region of £3800 to £4300 for a sole use 20ft container. The Cuft is between 620 and 700, remember that they charge for the whole container but also on the wrapping and packing.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 10:36 pm
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pat

We went to Sandown a few weeks ago to get (amongst other things) some shippers to come over and quote. Whilst we dont have any quotes yet, although most seemed to state that the cost of a 20ft container would be between 3 to 3.5k, that includes VAT is door to door service, but does not include the cost of insurance. There are ways in which you can reduce the cost, one in particular is to share a container. Apparently they take a 40ft container and simply have a false wall seperating the two different shipments.

When we get something more definitive I will PM you.

Cheers, Gary

Hi there, we have decided to apply after churning it over for years basically,and we will after a bit of work for the tra have enough points we are trying without an agent to keep the costs down but blowing a few quid ona 2 week hol on the sushine coast (where we hope to settle) sometime this year. I seem to ask the most boring questions while some of you peeps are on here providing light relief!! but trying to add up approx what i will start out with i will prob be asking about ass costs for some time as they arise.
We are prob shipping basic furniture +my tools for jewellery (the tools are about five items no bigger than 3ft square and some hand tools small drills etc
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:25 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by RockHopper
We are moving from Swindon to Canberra, the quotes we have had seem to be in the region of £3800 to £4300 for a sole use 20ft container. The Cuft is between 620 and 700, remember that they charge for the whole container but also on the wrapping and packing.
thanks
Patrick
Old Mar 28th 2005, 11:26 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Pat

We went to Sandown a few weeks ago to get (amongst other things) some shippers to come over and quote. Whilst we dont have any quotes yet, although most seemed to state that the cost of a 20ft container would be between 3 to 3.5k, that includes VAT is door to door service, but does not include the cost of insurance. There are ways in which you can reduce the cost, one in particular is to share a container. Apparently they take a 40ft container and simply have a false wall seperating the two different shipments.

When we get something more definitive I will PM you.

Cheers, Gary
Thanks Gary
Patrick
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:12 am
Just Joined

axl rose is on a distinguished road

I am just looking into this and am amazed how much it costs.

As we are renting our UK home I am thinking instead of just taking the basics i.e. clothes and bits-n-bobs and renting furnished accommodation out in Brisbane. I thought we could get it over on excess baggage instead but not sure how much this costs - any ideas? The trouble with this however is getting it to the airport and carrying it generally!

Also, does anyone know what furnished does and does not include?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Judes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really niceJudes2308 is just really nice

Not sure about Brisbane, but we're heading to Melbourne in October and have been advised that over 95% of houses are rented unfurnished. This came as a bit of a shock to us as we're also just renting out our house in the UK so will have to leave most of the furnishings. I think only the very basics are included, maybe not even your white goods.

But relying on excess baggage may prove costly. We've managed to get 35kg each but have read on various threads that if you go over they can charge you as much as £25 per kg excess.

We're got a contact in the freight forwarding business so are waiting for him to give us a quote for part of a container, and then we'll weight up the cost of taking a few things or just starting from scratch.

Judy
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by axl rose
I am just looking into this and am amazed how much it costs.

As we are renting our UK home I am thinking instead of just taking the basics i.e. clothes and bits-n-bobs and renting furnished accommodation out in Brisbane. I thought we could get it over on excess baggage instead but not sure how much this costs - any ideas? The trouble with this however is getting it to the airport and carrying it generally!

Also, does anyone know what furnished does and does not include?
You will struggle to find furnished accommodation in Brisbane. Most Estate agents let out unfurnished places (around $200 - $400 per week). They only thing it will contain is a fitted kitchen, oven, dish washer. Fridge and Washing machine are not normally provided.

There are furnished apartments, but they tend to be on the pricey side. Usually executive type lets (around $600 per week).

We bought a lot of our stuff second hand and at auctions just to get started, and it has been no where near the cost of shipping stuff out!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
We are paying £3300 plus approx £250 insurance with PSS, they are not the cheapest quote but they seemed the most professional when they came round and I also coundn't find a bad post about them on here.

Go on then, you know your going to find someone who had an absolute nightmare with them now
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi there
We are paying £3300 plus approx £250 insurance with PSS, they are not the cheapest quote but they seemed the most professional when they came round and I also coundn't find a bad post about them on here.

Go on then, you know your going to find someone who had an absolute nightmare with them now
We had an estimator come around from Excess International who quoted £2500 for 550 cubic feet from Surrey to Brisbane in a shared container. PLUS 3% of the value for insurance. This included 1 month free storage in the UK before shipping.

PSS quoted (I filled in an online form) 430 cubic feet @ £1973 plus insurance of 2.5% of the value. I may get them over for a proper estimate...

Dicko, for what volume was that quote?

If you fly via the USA you get to carry 2 pieces of baggage, as opposed to 1 via Asia. That should mean 64kg max per person!

If anyone has heard any bad reviews about Excess International/Excess Baggage please let me know. I have googled them and found nothing, which I guess if good???

Last edited by Briz-chick; Apr 1st 2005 at 8:35 pm. Reason: To add another question
Old Apr 1st 2005, 8:49 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

We just shipped ourselves - hired the container, packed it ourselves, etc , £1500 +/- to brisbane. No insurance though. But what're the odds hey? (our ship still 3 days from port ! )
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:01 pm
patrickgoldsmith

Originally Posted by spalen
We just shipped ourselves - hired the container, packed it ourselves, etc , £1500 +/- to brisbane. No insurance though. But what're the odds hey? (our ship still 3 days from port ! )
what did you fit into the container and was it trouble free?
Hope you love it!!
Best of luck and thanks for the info
Patrick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.