Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Schooling in QLD

Cost of Schooling in QLD

Old Nov 6th 2003, 12:04 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about
Default Cost of Schooling in QLD

I am going over to Brisbane on a temp 457ie, does anyone know if you have to pay for schooling on a temp visa, i am led to believe it varies stat by state.
The child is aged 9, can't afford private unless it's tax deductable or unless it sorts her hormones out. Just the wife then.
Old Nov 6th 2003, 3:32 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Well anyone know?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

GazzaGeorgie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DavidT
Well anyone know?
Sorry dont know - but were going on a 457 too if you found out please let me know, which part of QLD ?
Old Nov 6th 2003, 4:44 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Well anyone know?
There should be earlier posts on this
NSW = YES
QLD = NO

actually not sure is there is another state than NSW that charges? But I am sure on these two, as the rules stand now of course!

Have fun
Old Nov 6th 2003, 5:02 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Schooling in QLD

I am going over to Brisbane on a temp 457ie, does anyone know if you have to pay for schooling on a temp visa, i am led to believe it varies stat by state.
The child is aged 9, can't afford private unless it's tax deductable or unless it sorts her hormones out. Just the wife then.
But for your money in NSW - we get information kit on schoolies week!!!

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/leavin..._kit/index.php

OK at nine it might be a bit young! But something to look forward to?

Cheers
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Due to arrive in Brisbane in January.
In answer to your question following a phonecall with Queensland Education International, I have been informed that if you are on a 457 visa, public schooling does not cost you anything.
However what I have yet to find out is why there are so many private schools. Is the state education system so bad that people are prepared to fork out up to $6000 a year on private schools.
Anybody know?
Old Nov 7th 2003, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Sharpy67
Due to arrive in Brisbane in January.
In answer to your question following a phonecall with Queensland Education International, I have been informed that if you are on a 457 visa, public schooling does not cost you anything.
However what I have yet to find out is why there are so many private schools. Is the state education system so bad that people are prepared to fork out up to $6000 a year on private schools.
Anybody know?
In a word Snobbery. Many people have found state schools here that they are perfectly happy with. Once you get to an area, its easy to find out which schools are in demand even the Real Estates know because many have a Zone you have to live in.
Private schools have their place, they can push kids more than State schools, but many are really only going for the bizzare looking uniforms which say "I'm paying". Why else would kids be out wearing them at 8.pm at night. Plus people here like their kids to be with the same class of person like those who can pay. The big diff in education is that kids seem to learn a lot more a lot earlier in the UK. If you do a search there are dozens of posts about schools here just type in state schools or something and see what comes up.

Like anywhere you will find good and bad in State and Private. Which area are you going to, if you know that theres probably someone on here who may know about 'good' schools in that area. Its more word of mouth here, they dont publish stats like the UK.
Old Nov 7th 2003, 11:07 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally posted by dotty
Plus people here like their kids to be with the same class of person like those who can pay.
And in my opinion, if money and success (financially) is what you want for your kids, the "whats your daddy do" part of a private school can be extremely benifical.

Both my wife, and my cousin went to private schools. My cousin went to Kings college in Canterbury, and my wife went to Annesly in Adelaide. Both are expensive, posh schools.

Now, the standard of education the both received, in my opinon, differs very little from mine. The real difference comes with all of the opportunities that they, and thier friends have/had. All of my wifes friends are loaded, and she spent her childhood attending skiing parties (for birthdays and such), and going out for nice meals with her friends parents etc. My wife got into the school on a scholorship i might add. She is not from a well off family (dad was a plumber back then), and contrary to what some may think she says noone ever thought anything of that (no micky taking etc).

My cousin has had lots of incredible opportunties from his time at his school. Too many for me to write, but the latest was a gap year working as a kind of stockbrokers assistant in Sydney. This was fully paid for by the company "employing" him (friends dads company), and he reckons it was a 12 month fully paid for holiday.

I am not saying private schools are the be all and end all, but the way that society works (not what, but who you know) this point alone can be a very large pro. This is probably expecially the case in oz.....

Last edited by PeteY; Nov 7th 2003 at 11:36 pm.