Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of private schools v state schools in Sunshine Coast/ SE Queensland?

Cost of private schools v state schools in Sunshine Coast/ SE Queensland?

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice
Default Cost of private schools v state schools in Sunshine Coast/ SE Queensland?

Hi all,

My family and i are hoping to move to Sunshine Coast (maybe a little further south) on a student visa and the cost of government school fees are $10,000per year.

I have been looking on the websites of some of the schools that are in those areas and it seems that a private education may be cheaper.

Some of the fees are classed as international fees, but on other sites it doesn't mention this, so i am not sure if i should take their fees as international students fees or not.

I just wanted to know if any of you have put your children into private schools in the above areas, and what fees did you pay?

Also do any of you have any reccommendations on schools?
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of private schools v state schools in Sunshine Coast/ SE Queensland?

Are you sure that you will have to pay international student fees in govt schools? You may find that if you are going to pay tax then you may not have to - check with them anyway.

Private schools generally charge a standard fee regardless of whether a child is an international student or not and they can range from as little as $3K pa through to $15+K all depending on the school. I dont know the Sunshine Coast schools but expect there will be the same range as there is everywhere else.

Meanwhile I suggest contacting the Qld department of education to check that they actually would sting you for fees! This is what they say on their website

The school-aged dependants of permanent resident, business skills, provisional and temporary resident visa holders are generally able to access mainstream schooling without the need to pay tuition fees. Persons who are intending to travel to Queensland with school-aged dependants are advised to contact Education Queensland International to check whether tuition fees will be required. Contact - [email protected]
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Bradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really niceBradburns is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of private schools v state schools in Sunshine Coast/ SE Queensland?

Originally Posted by quoll
Are you sure that you will have to pay international student fees in govt schools? You may find that if you are going to pay tax then you may not have to - check with them anyway.

Private schools generally charge a standard fee regardless of whether a child is an international student or not and they can range from as little as $3K pa through to $15+K all depending on the school. I dont know the Sunshine Coast schools but expect there will be the same range as there is everywhere else.

Meanwhile I suggest contacting the Qld department of education to check that they actually would sting you for fees! This is what they say on their website

The school-aged dependants of permanent resident, business skills, provisional and temporary resident visa holders are generally able to access mainstream schooling without the need to pay tuition fees. Persons who are intending to travel to Queensland with school-aged dependants are advised to contact Education Queensland International to check whether tuition fees will be required. Contact - [email protected]

Thanks for that info. quoll, I have just emailed them, i'll just have to wait for a response now.

Thanks again
Old Feb 4th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Bit further south, but we have our kids in private education in SE QLD. 3 out of the 4 are currently in, 4th is too young, but we are paying $10,000 for the 3 per year. Plus obviously uniforms. But all excursions are included as are their books and pens and pencils and stuff.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
Bit further south, but we have our kids in private education in SE QLD. 3 out of the 4 are currently in, 4th is too young, but we are paying $10,000 for the 3 per year. Plus obviously uniforms. But all excursions are included as are their books and pens and pencils and stuff.
Hi Yolandacharm,

Thanks for your reply, $10,000 for 3 children, WOW !!!!

I am so glad i asked the question now. The government state schools are asking $10,000 per year for 1 child and that goes up for junior school age, what a rip off. I was totally prepared to pay this for my daughter, but when you know that you're being ripped off, it's not too nice.

Where in SE Queensland are you, and what are the schools called?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is interesting (not for you of course!) may I ask what visa you are coming on? Are you coming as students yourself? If so, I do understand that the govt will also charge your children international fees. You had best look at systemic Catholic schools - they are the lowest charging.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Wow that is interesting (not for you of course!) may I ask what visa you are coming on? Are you coming as students yourself? If so, I do understand that the govt will also charge your children international fees. You had best look at systemic Catholic schools - they are the lowest charging.
Cheers quoll,

Yes we are coming on a student visa, and are already paying $22,500 for hubbys course, so any reduction in the price of schooling for our daughter is greatly welcomed.

Do you know whether or not you have to be catholic to attend these schools?

And also, do have any names of any of the schools?
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not on the Sunshine Coast but there is a list of non govt schools here

AFAIK you dont have to be Catholic but of course it helps! (in our schools here anyway and I would imagine they are much the same).

I should have read your original post more carefully, sorry, of course you said you were coming on a student visa - that sounds a very expensive option! Good luck with it!
Old Feb 4th 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

yolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond reputeyolandacharm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Hi Yolandacharm,

Thanks for your reply, $10,000 for 3 children, WOW !!!!

I am so glad i asked the question now. The government state schools are asking $10,000 per year for 1 child and that goes up for junior school age, what a rip off. I was totally prepared to pay this for my daughter, but when you know that you're being ripped off, it's not too nice.

Where in SE Queensland are you, and what are the schools called?

The school our kids go to is Kings Christian College. They also have an international school attached. We are here on a permanent residency visa. and i have to say as for the school it is awesome, they have done more the kids in a year, that the UK did in 3! You can check it out on the net. We live in Reedy Creek, about 5 minutes from the school.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks quoll and yolandacharm,

quoll:-

I've just written down the names of the schools in yhe areas i want and am about to look to see if they've got websites and if they have then i'll have a gander.

yolandacharm:-

I am going to look at the school now and see exactly where Reedy creek is.

Thanks again
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by yolandacharm
The school our kids go to is Kings Christian College. They also have an international school attached. We are here on a permanent residency visa. and i have to say as for the school it is awesome, they have done more the kids in a year, that the UK did in 3! You can check it out on the net. We live in Reedy Creek, about 5 minutes from the school.
Hi again yolandacharm,

Just been on the Kings College website and couldn't believe the differences in prices, first i looked at fees: $944 per year for your first child, and next i looked at the international section, and for me to send my daughter it says: primary, 1st child costs $14,880.

Would this price hike be because we are coming on a student visa? If so, it's sooooo unfair.

I know this is cheeky, but could you ask at the school if this is correct, seems a bit steep to me.

Lisa
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bradburns
Hi again yolandacharm,

Just been on the Kings College website and couldn't believe the differences in prices, first i looked at fees: $944 per year for your first child, and next i looked at the international section, and for me to send my daughter it says: primary, 1st child costs $14,880.

Would this price hike be because we are coming on a student visa? If so, it's sooooo unfair.

I know this is cheeky, but could you ask at the school if this is correct, seems a bit steep to me.

Lisa
May well be because of the student visa, i know they charge higher for that. But yes, i will phone and check.
Are you putting just your daughter into primary? and is there just one child? How old is your daughter? PM if you would rather give the details privately and i will see what i can find out for you.