Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Power Tools

Cost of Power Tools

Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Cost of Power Tools

Packing up all my Tools ready to head out to Victoria (when the house eventually sells) and was on the verge of replacing some well worn our Battery & mains powered drills and a couple of other power tools - anyone any idea how the costs of these compare in Oz or any pointers to price comparison type websites? Wondering if I should hang fie until I get out there.

Cheers

Mike H

Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:13 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Cost of Power Tools

Originally Posted by Mike H
Packing up all my Tools ready to head out to Victoria (when the house eventually sells) and was on the verge of replacing some well worn our Battery & mains powered drills and a couple of other power tools - anyone any idea how the costs of these compare in Oz or any pointers to price comparison type websites? Wondering if I should hang fie until I get out there.

Cheers

Mike H

As far as I can tell, they're a bit cheaper in the UK - though you will have the hassle of changing the plugs over when you arrive Down Under.

My advice is to visit your local tool shop and stock up.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jul 8th 2006 at 10:15 am.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Matt & Jay will become famous soon enoughMatt & Jay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of Power Tools

Cheers

Mike H

mate the power tools are just as cheap here as in the uk so get them here then if you have any warrenty issues you can sort it out here.

matt
Old Jul 8th 2006, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt & Jay
mate the power tools are just as cheap here as in the uk so get them here then if you have any warrenty issues you can sort it out here.

matt
I would possibly say they are cheaper here than the UK. You can get a cheap drill from Bunnings for $30 and top of the range Makita 18v cordless drills are under $500.
Old Jul 8th 2006, 12:59 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Mike H

Save your cash and buy new ones here. Less hassle, new warranty, easy to return if repairs are necessary.
Take a look at places like:
Trade Tools Direct
Transquip Direct
Deals Direct
For some price guidelines. Remember cash will usually get you a discount here so prepare to haggle a bit.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Save your cash and buy new ones here. Less hassle, new warranty, easy to return if repairs are necessary.
Take a look at places like:
Trade Tools Direct
Transquip Direct
Deals Direct
For some price guidelines. Remember cash will usually get you a discount here so prepare to haggle a bit.
I love the Makita tools - expensive but good. They do a good DIYers power drill for $120. Made in England!!

GMC Ryobi - B&D blue/green, Makita - Dewalt seems the pecking order in the drill world.

Some people treat the GMC as a weekend rent, buy it, wreck it - claim on warranty - they do come with good warranties.

They've been selling a thicknesser (200 bucks) in Bunnings which has been selling like hotcakes and is well regarded.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 7:40 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

What most of the tradies do here is get their stuff from Bunnings and but cheap models. Many of the cheaper models are sort of cornering the market with their offer to replace tools within two years if they bust.....no questions asked. Certainly a lot of the guys that worked on our house had cheaper tools, and they gave this as the reason, basically guarantees you buy one drill/saw etc and have it for life.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:14 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
I love the Makita tools - expensive but good. They do a good DIYers power drill for $120. Made in England!!

GMC Ryobi - B&D blue/green, Makita - Dewalt seems the pecking order in the drill world.

Some people treat the GMC as a weekend rent, buy it, wreck it - claim on warranty - they do come with good warranties.

They've been selling a thicknesser (200 bucks) in Bunnings which has been selling like hotcakes and is well regarded.
The drill we use to mix our glue cost $30 bucks from The Warehouse we've had it for 2 1/2 yrs and it's only let us down once when the cord broke it cost more to buy a new cord and have it fitted than a new drill so we bought a new drill same model same price. Dad fixed the old one with a spare cord from something he found while scabbing down the tip. We now have the old one and a new spare . The $400 buck professional mixer lasted less than 6 months
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:18 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
The drill we use to mix our glue cost $30 bucks from The Warehouse we've had it for 2 1/2 yrs and it's only let us down once when the cord broke it cost more to buy a new cord and have it fitted than a new drill so we bought a new drill same model same price. Dad fixed the old one with a spare cord from something he found while scabbing down the tip. We now have the old one and a new spare . The $400 buck professional mixer lasted less than 6 months
Knew a chippy who bought a $500+ Dewalt 18v cordless drill, fired it up for the first time and low and behold, it didn't work. Got it replaced, and had no more trouble.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

there is a guy on ebay who exports power tools to australia from the usa corded tools are no good to you because of the power feeds but his cordless dewalt stuff is really cheap if you are prepared to wait about 8 days for delivery these are a few of things ive had sent to the uk recently

dewalt 18 v trim saw naked (no batts or charger) £42

dewalt 18v nailers full kit (2 batts) £240

dewaly 14.4v xrp driver drill full kit £88

dewalt 18v jigsaw naked £120

dewalt 18v hanging light £18

dewalt 18v batts £65 for 2, 2.4 amp

its all brand new and ive had no problems with them
his name on ebay is"" wakedr ""

he lists on the oz and uk version of ebay

Last edited by rodandhayley; Jul 9th 2006 at 11:01 am.
Old Jul 9th 2006, 1:18 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

I'm a plumber and left most of my tools in uk.......i've brought equiverlent here on the goldcoast and if anything there cheaper.....

all the best plum....
Old Jul 9th 2006, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Knew a chippy who bought a $500+ Dewalt 18v cordless drill, fired it up for the first time and low and behold, it didn't work. Got it replaced, and had no more trouble.
My neighbour has the 12v dewalt. I looked at him and thought, "not powerful enough, surely"? I tried it to use to drill big holes for my workbench, and it barely managed.

He's got it though because he can charge it off his 12v car battery in the bush.

Switched on bloke.