Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of new Embassy

Cost of new Embassy

Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:07 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of new Embassy

Its just been announced that the cost of the new Australian Embassy in Iraq is going to cost 30 Million dollars..more that 3 times estimated costs..

The reason is due to security costs (not even going down the "it was a lot more secure before we bombed it" argument)

Am I the only one thinking..why bother building one? I cant imagine many Aussie tourists in Iraq in the next few months..
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:10 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of new Embassy

Originally Posted by sloake
Its just been announced that the cost of the new Australian Embassy in Iraq is going to cost 30 Million dollars..more that 3 times estimated costs..

The reason is due to security costs (not even going down the "it was a lot more secure before we bombed it" argument)

Am I the only one thinking..why bother building one? I cant imagine many Aussie tourists in Iraq in the next few months..

whats up with the old one? did it get bombed during the war? (sorry, i stick my head in the sand when the word 'war' flicks up on the news.)
suppose there are still many aussies working in iraq, and they need an embassy.

30 million dollars is....um.....£12million? suppose they have uk builders doing it then...................
Old Feb 16th 2005, 12:13 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
whats up with the old one? did it get bombed during the war? (sorry, i stick my head in the sand when the word 'war' flicks up on the news.)
suppose there are still many aussies working in iraq, and they need an embassy.

30 million dollars is....um.....£12million? suppose they have uk builders doing it then...................
The last one was outside the Green Zone (Safe..mmm)

It got bombed..which according to Mr Howard was not an attack on the Aussies.. it was just a random attack on an embassy..(again..mmmm)
Old Feb 16th 2005, 1:15 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sloake
The last one was outside the Green Zone (Safe..mmm)

It got bombed..which according to Mr Howard was not an attack on the Aussies.. it was just a random attack on an embassy..(again..mmmm)
Embassy's are more to do with setting up trade than they are to do with tourists nowadays. That and spying also of course