Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of new builds in Melbourne comaped to UK

Cost of new builds in Melbourne comaped to UK

Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:45 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of
Default Cost of new builds in Melbourne comaped to UK

I’ve been trawling around www.realestate.com.au for properties in Melbourne and I’m completely stunned by just how cheap new homes appear to be compared to the UK. I’m also amazed to see just how huge some of these houses are.

I did a search for 4-bed, 2-garage properties in the Lyndhurst area in the $400,000-$500,000 price range and found loads of properties that would cost at least this much (and probably a lot more) in Pounds back in the UK.

Is housing just that much cheaper in Melbourne or am I missing something fundamental? It almost looks too good to be true (from my perspective).

- CDM
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of new builds in Melbourne comaped to UK

There are some stunning houses in Lyndhurst at the moment and for approx $400 you can get a 2 storey on a 900sq block with 4 double bedrooms, 3 lounges, a home theatre room, office and a double garage. You can find out more about Lyndhurst here: http://tinyurl.com/6meurv You may also want to look at the new marriot Water Development, people actually camped out to buy a plot of land here. http://www.marriottwaters.com.au/index.php
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:58 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

How long is it likely to last before everything is sold? We're looking at 6 months at least before we get there.

- CDM
Old Jul 9th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Not to sure they tend to Sell in Land Stages, looking at the map they have on their site it looks like there will be 8 Stages and they have released all these now. I think they will still have some available in 6 months but maybe no waterfront ones or other prime positions. You could always wait for a couple of years and buy the display houses when they come up

Where ever you are building in Australia you definately get more for your money.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 5:23 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

I wonder if these type of houses are those that some have referred to as McMansions?

Either way, it looks like we can get twice as much house with half as much money compared to here in the UK.

- CDM
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:15 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDM
I’ve been trawling around www.realestate.com.au for properties in Melbourne and I’m completely stunned by just how cheap new homes appear to be compared to the UK. I’m also amazed to see just how huge some of these houses are.

I did a search for 4-bed, 2-garage properties in the Lyndhurst area in the $400,000-$500,000 price range and found loads of properties that would cost at least this much (and probably a lot more) in Pounds back in the UK.

Is housing just that much cheaper in Melbourne or am I missing something fundamental? It almost looks too good to be true (from my perspective).

- CDM
You pay for what you get

Remember base price ++++ for "oh thats an extra", "oh and that too"
Old Jul 9th 2008, 7:16 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
There are some stunning houses in Lyndhurst at the moment and for approx $400 you can get a 2 storey on a 900sq block with 4 double bedrooms, 3 lounges, a home theatre room, office and a double garage. You can find out more about Lyndhurst here: http://tinyurl.com/6meurv You may also want to look at the new marriot Water Development, people actually camped out to buy a plot of land here. http://www.marriottwaters.com.au/index.php
Yes the issue is where that block is
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I can tell you from current experience that the cost of building a properly built permanent home (as opposed to a McMansion) in Australia is probably on a par with the UK.

Buzzy
Old Jul 10th 2008, 6:44 am
CDM
BE Enthusiast

In what way are shoddily houses built? Where is the difference in quality and what are the things to look for?

- CDM
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CDM
In what way are shoddily houses built? Where is the difference in quality and what are the things to look for?

- CDM

People assume that big building companies must be shoddy because they are cheap. There may be some dodgy companies but mostly they are very good or they wouldn't be in business. For example, Metricon is very popular and their designs are great and they wouldn't be the successful company they are if they were building rubbish. The reason they are cheaper than having an individual builder build your house is because they have huge buying power and are able to source materials much cheaper. The disadvantage of a these builders is that if you want to change the design in any way it costs more than the advertised price.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CDM

- CDM
Houses in Oz are not well insulated and don't have double glazing but then it's not as cold as the UK
Old Jul 10th 2008, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
Houses in Oz are not well insulated and don't have double glazing but then it's not as cold as the UK

Today it is
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jond
Today it is
LOL Yes I must agree I am sat here with 2 jumpers on.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:13 am
Has left the building

Originally Posted by melbournegirl
they wouldn't be the successful company they are if they were building rubbish.
Barretts
Old Jul 10th 2008, 8:18 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Barretts
My sister lives in a Barratt house and she loves it dearly! Not everyone can afford perfection.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.