Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of making the move

Cost of making the move

Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:00 pm
Banned

neil32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of making the move

Just wondering if anyone can share their cost of moving from UK to Oz (melbourne in particular) or tell me if I'm on track with my figures.

At time of moving we would be a family of 4, shipping 1 container, plus we would have to do an activation visa trip. So below is what I have so far as the bare minimum amount.

£5,000 visa state sponsor
£6,000 activation trip Flights and the rest 2-3 weeks
£3,000 shipping 1 container
£3,200 flights out when we make to one way flight
£12,000 3 months wage to cover until jobs are secure

£29,200 total
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of making the move

Originally Posted by neil32
Which visa?
I think you will be lucky to get a 20ft container shipped at that price.
Depends how long it takes to find jobs. Some people find a job pretty quickly, others find it can take 6 months or more. It also depends if either of you need to get any local qualifications.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 4:55 pm
Banned

Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa

I got back quotes of £3000 shipping, will need to look at quote again

Just put 3 months down as a min understand this could take a week or months, these are my bare min costs
Old Oct 8th 2013, 9:58 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Skilled - Nominated (subclass 190) visa

I got back quotes of £3000 shipping, will need to look at quote again

Just put 3 months down as a min understand this could take a week or months, these are my bare min costs
Depends when you plan to arrive as Dec to beginning of Feb will be holiday season and harder to find jobs as bosses are on summer holidays.

Does that 3 month £ include rental bond, car shopping and possible kids starting schools? For schools you need to budget for book orders, uniforms etc, we spend give or take $300+ per primary kid just to get them ready for first day every year, $1000 for high school kid minimum, all in public schools. That doesn't include all the incursions, excursions, swimming, school photos etc..

For rental it's usually 4weeks bond and 2 weeks in advanced rent.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teza
For rental it's usually 4weeks bond and 2 weeks in advanced rent.
In Melbourne it's normally 1 month bond + 1 month in advance, on a 12 month tenancy.
Old Oct 8th 2013, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Remember that amount doesn't include medicals and police checks.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 12:40 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering if anyone can share their cost of moving from UK to Oz (melbourne in particular) or tell me if I'm on track with my figures.

At time of moving we would be a family of 4, shipping 1 container, plus we would have to do an activation visa trip. So below is what I have so far as the bare minimum amount.

£29,200 total
Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Remember that amount doesn't include medicals and police checks.
The visa cost now depends on the number of people included in the application. If you are a single person, not using an agent, the visa cost is $3520 - or around 2000GBP. Additional applicants over 18 are $1760, and under 18's $880. So assuming 2 adults, 2 children - total cost is $7040 or around 4200GBP with todays rates. And medicals and police checks are on top of that, plus any fees required by the state for sponsorship.

We didn't make a validation trip, but flights for 2 of us one way were just under 2k direct, container was 4k and it took 5 months to secure employment.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

Buying cars? They are really quite expensive.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

£29,200 total
I think that you might be light but not a million miles off either.

Your visa costs are probably about £1-2k short if you include medicals and skills assessment cost.

The validation trip seems light too, wouldn't the flights alone cost best part of £6k? I would think you need more like £8-10k for this. Of course you might just decide to go for it? That is activate the visa on your initial move?

A 20ft container would be about £4-4.5k, you would only get a partial container for £3k I reckon.

The final estimate is hard to judge, you might need more but hopefully need less if you are lucky with jobs.
Old Oct 9th 2013, 4:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
Buying cars? They are really quite expensive.
2nd hand - yes
New - no
Old Oct 9th 2013, 7:59 pm
Banned

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I think I will need to add a good few more £££'s to my figures maybe looking more at £35k with a £5k emergency fund.

I would have funds for cars already so I have not included that, The 3 months wage money is to cover cost of living and for kids starting school.

I realise that I may have high outgoing initially but just looking for some rough figures, as always in life you usually always spend more than you try to budget for.