Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in queensland

Cost of living in queensland

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

physiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant future
Default Cost of living in queensland

Hi all

Just wondering if there was anyone already in Queensland after emigrating, who could give a reasonable idea of cost of living for a family of 4 as an example. It would be nicwe to get a breakdown of costs including schools, insurance, food, petrol, just to get an idea of general cost of living. It could help those of us going over to set a reasonable budget, esp if work is not an immediate entity.

Many thanks
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 9:40 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in queensland

Originally Posted by physiomitch
Hi all

Just wondering if there was anyone already in Queensland after emigrating, who could give a reasonable idea of cost of living for a family of 4 as an example. It would be nicwe to get a breakdown of costs including schools, insurance, food, petrol, just to get an idea of general cost of living. It could help those of us going over to set a reasonable budget, esp if work is not an immediate entity.

Many thanks
School - state schools are free. However expect to spend say $1000-2000 per child per year on uniform, books, stationery, trips and various "donations". Private I'll leave someone else to answer.

Home contents insurance - I think I pay about $50/month
Private medical Insurance - I don;t bother but say $150-200/month for family of 4
Rent - My 4bed, 2 bath, double garage, pool, in nice suburb about $2400/month - mortgage for the same house would be around $4000.
Energy (electric only - have no gas) - $150/month
Phone + Internet (fast)+ Foxtel (sky) - $210/month
Mobile - depends, say $50 cap/month each would suffice
Car insurance - hmmm, about $500-800 year depending on car
Petrol - I would say $50/week - clearly depends on a lot of things
Food/Groceries - family of 4 should be OK on say $250+ /week
Buses - I travel about 5km to work on public transport - $100/month
Water - not sure, I pay it but I rent, maybe $100/quarter tops
Rates -don't know, I don;t pay directly as I rent
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 1:50 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
School - state schools are free. However expect to spend say $1000-2000 per child per year on uniform, books, stationery, trips and various "donations". Private I'll leave someone else to answer.

Private medical Insurance - I don;t bother but say $150-200/month for family of 4
Rent - My 4bed, 2 bath, double garage, pool, in nice suburb about $2400/month - mortgage for the same house would be around $4000.
Energy (electric only - have no gas) - $150/month
Mobile - depends, say $50 cap/month each would suffice
Car insurance - hmmm, about $500-800 year depending on car
Petrol - I would say $50/week - clearly depends on a lot of things
Food/Groceries - family of 4 should be OK on say $250+ /week
Buses - I travel about 5km to work on public transport - $100/month
Water - not sure, I pay it but I rent, maybe $100/quarter tops
Rates -don't know, I don;t pay directly as I rent
Most of these seem reasonable to me apart from:

You're being ROBBED!!! $60 gets you a 120GB Naked ADSL2+ plan these days and $5 gets all the calls you could possibly want... - so thats $65 a month... BUT you have Foxtel.

Foxtel is widely regarded as a rip-off, costs a fortune is riddled with ads and cross-promotions. Save your money and spend it on an HTPC instead (and use that cheap internet connection to get good stuff to watch whenever you like)

BTW:

Rates: $400/qtr
House+Contents Insurance: $100pm
Private Medical: $150pm (high level cover 4 people)
Electricity: $400-$800 /qtr depending on time of year and use of air-con!
Car Rego (tax): $600/yr
Speeding fines: $200/yr (might as well budget for them they're damn near impossible to avoid!)
School fees: vary from $200/yr (public) to $16K/yr (private high school)

Also dont forget when considering motoring costs - the costs of buying a vehicle will come as a shock. A car that might struggle to sell for 900GBP in UK could easily sell for $8K+ here. There are cars under $4k - but they'll be very uncomfortable 20yr old wrecks that wouldnt be allowed on the road in a sane world.

Last edited by DadAgain; Feb 23rd 2010 at 1:53 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Catholic private school: $5,000 - $10,000 per year tuition
Protestant or non-denominational private school: $8,000 - $17,000 per year tuition.

Sundry expenses are roughly the same as at state schools, though there are optional clubs/activities that can be quite expensive (e.g. horse dressage).

(Figures based on an informal survey of Brisbane school options within 10 km of CBD.)
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:50 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I have Fox with IQ (which is suprisingly useful) delivered by cable. Given that cable is fast, I use that for my internet, so am tied into bigpond. Then makes sense to stay with Hellstra for fixed line (which becomes free effectively on the $210 pack)

So for $210 I get:

Fox IQ Platinum (inlcudes 2 free Box Office Movies) including all sports and movies etc

T'internet over cable. 25GB/month (then slowed) with some sort of 30MBPS speed (allegedly)

Full landline cost included (probably excludes intnl calls)

I have had this only one month so cant be absolutley sure on what is in or out of the package. WOuld love something cheaper, but not to lose cable internet speed.

Originally Posted by DadAgain

You're being ROBBED!!! $60 gets you a 120GB Naked ADSL2+ plan these days and $5 gets all the calls you could possibly want... - so thats $65 a month... BUT you have Foxtel.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:30 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DadAgain

You're being ROBBED!!! $60 gets you a 120GB Naked ADSL2+ plan these days and $5 gets all the calls you could possibly want... - so thats $65 a month...
Yeah how many Mbps? Someone arriving from the UK will be wanting more like 20Mbps (I see BT are selling 40Mbps at £19.99), yet a lot of the reasonably priced packages here are somewhere around the 2Mbps.
Therefore it takes 10x longer to download music files etc...
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

physiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant futurephysiomitch has a brilliant future

In the words of the formidable Steve Irwin..."CRICKEY MATE!"...I really did not know what to expect from my question, but this has surpassed my expectations. Many thanks to all of you so far, I hope this will also assist others going over to get a better idea of costs there. I always realised it would take hard work anyway, but working in the sunshine beats working in the rain/snow.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

Regards
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

I'm very tech savvy so I'll let you in on a good place to look at plans.

www.whirlpool.net.au

check out those forums and specifically 'broadband choice'

Cheap end of the scale there is exetel / TPG for internet, and more expensive iinet / Internode who are very good. BIGPOND / OPTUS IS NOT WORTH GETTING unless you -have- to get cable or nothing.

You'd be after ADSL2+ connection, ask on whirlpool if you have a specific budget and requirements.

For VOIP to make cheap cheap phone calls around Australia and UK and world wide, try www.pennytel.com (cheapest) or www.mynetfone.com.au (cheap but very good quality) and as a bonus i'll let you know of their deals for whirlpool members which is www.mynetfone.com.au/whirlpool which are slightly better than there normal offerings.

As for non INTERNET related stuff I have no idea.

But yeah, www.staticice.com.au has cheap prices for computer parts and you can try www.msy.com.au / www.umart.com.au / www.gamedude.com.au (GD is slightly dodgy imho, but quite cheap... Umart/MSY are your best bet for CHEAP pc stuff.)

Harvey norman and the big shops etc are rip offs, except for laptop sometimes!! They can have laptops with cash back offers for a few hundred bucks that cannot be matched.

Cheers!

LASTLY!!! If you are going to get a home telephone line and you are going to use VOIP to make your outgoing calls, then dont pay standard line rental. Go onto telstra homeline budget, it's a bit cheaper line rental wise and you can save a bit each month. http://www.telstra.com.au/homephone/...ne_budget.html
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

School - state schools are free. $60 a week for a catholic school, $245 for a higher level one - plus trips, building funds etc
Private medical Insurance - $289 per month
Rent - My 3bed, 2 bath, double garage, pool, in nice suburb about $2000mortgage for the same house would be around $3000
Energy (electric only - have no gas) - $200/month
Mobile - depends, say $99 cap/month each would suffice
landline: $70 per month
Car insurance - hmmm, $60 per month for a 2000 honda, $95 per month for a brand new hilux sr5
Petrol - I wont even answer this one as we are unusual
Food/Groceries - family of 4 $400 plus frequent small shops per week (my kids eat!)
Rates -$2400 per year

Extras
pool cleaning $50 a fortnight
Ironing $50 a week
Childrens activities (swimming, gym etc) $17 per lesson approx
childrens clothes cost more here

WAGES
carpenter $35 self employed per hour/$27 approx on payroll
programmer - $80 -110k
contract tester $70 per hour ($100 test manager)
admin - $30k (lower levels), $50k mid range
child care worker $13-17 ph
Cleaner/admin/supermarket $20 per hour
Electrician $35 ph on payroll - $60ph hour contract

You can go to this site to calculate your take home pay
http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcal...ndard_hire.asp

Heres a budget calculator
http://www.commbank.com.au/Tools/budgetplannercalc.asp
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again, just keeps getting better. Any ideas on mobile internet with dongle, compared to land line?

Cheers
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 8:47 am
Just Joined

hakkajai is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jayr;8366149]School - state schools are free. However expect to spend say $1000-2000 per child per year on uniform, books, stationery, trips and various "donations". Private I'll leave someone else to answer.

Hi jayr,
The mortgage figures that you have supplied,i take it that there are based on a 100% loan from the banks with no deposit.

cheers
john
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=hakkajai;8367159]
Hi jayr,
The mortgage figures that you have supplied,i take it that there are based on a 100% loan from the banks with no deposit.

cheers
john
Hi - not in nice suburbs, more like 66% - that is a mortgage of 410k. Mind you that is fixed at 7% so maybe reduce that by about $400 to current

go to realestate.com.au - find the house of your dreams, check out the mortgage calculator
Odyssey
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

hakkajai is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=odyssey;8367189]
Originally Posted by hakkajai

Hi - not in nice suburbs, more like 66% - that is a mortgage of 410k. Mind you that is fixed at 7% so maybe reduce that by about $400 to current

Odyssey
Thanks, the cost of cars is a SHOCKER.

cheers
John
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

It is but they are in better condition - I thought about this and I reckon its because they dont rust in the same way. With new cars remember to add on stamp duty etc if it doesnt say "on road"

I think new cars are cheaper here. Furniture and household goods are more expensive. People will come online with offers saying "you can get a bed room suite for $500 what do you mean more expensive?" but believe me, I shop. Quality costs much more here and things like food, kids clothes, books, furniture does make a dent in your budget!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by physiomitch
Thanks again, just keeps getting better. Any ideas on mobile internet with dongle, compared to land line?

Cheers
It's pretty crappy.
If you use MSN messenger or the like you'll notice it may drop off a few times per night. Your download speed and quota will also be much lower.

If you dont really care about it being a bit more unstable / slow than a land line and have a laptop and possibly would use the net from other places other than home, then it's OK.

In terms of providers maybe Virgin mobile.. or check whirlpool and see what people say. http://www.virginmobile.com.au/broad...ile-broadband/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.