Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost Of Living in OZ etc.....

Cost Of Living in OZ etc.....

Old Sep 22nd 2008, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

brindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant futurebrindy has a brilliant future
Default Cost Of Living in OZ etc.....

Considering Emmigrating to OZ, however have not been over to have a look yet. Will want to be on the 'East Coast'.
Any Areas people would recommend which are not too hot and good for dogs.
Thinking Victoria, not sure about QLD as been told it gets very humid and very touristy????
Do things cost more in OZ than the UK? We have no kids, hope to have no mortgage and hope to both work.

Any Advice Please..
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost Of Living in OZ etc.....

Originally Posted by brindy
Considering Emmigrating to OZ, however have not been over to have a look yet. Will want to be on the 'East Coast'.
Thinking Victoria, not sure about QLD as been told it gets very humid and very touristy????
Do things cost more in OZ than the UK? We have no kids, hope to have no mortgage and hope to both work.

Any Advice Please..
your best bet is to do a search for "cost of living" in australia, there have been numerous posts on areas, prices, mortgages - which is probably why you havent had any replies. best of luck wherever you go!
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Gusto is an unknown quantity at this point

Any Advice Please..
A friend sent me this when I was looking to move to Sydney, and it gave me a pretty good idea of things, may be worth checking out. http://www.yourlocalprice.com

cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2008, 11:41 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Any Advice Please..
By the East Coast, your referring to an area several times the length of the UK - its quite big

As to Queensland being touristy, sure we have some tourist spots like Fraser, Whitsundays, Gold Coast (Surfers) and themeparks. But remember as a state we are nearly six times larger than the entire UK. You dont have to pick the one single tourist hot spot in an area that big to live lol. I doubt you would want to live next door to Alton Towers in the UK, I don't think there would be need to want to live nextdoor to Seaworld.

Our climate is certainly not too hot. Brisbane for example is usually around the 25 - 28 with some occasional peaks beyond that. Its not a drama and makes for a sub tropical climate which is why people usually want to move to Australia in the first place.

The dog will adapt quicker to the climate than you will and be fine wherever you live.

People have some idea that Queensland is 40+ degrees much of the year. I wish it was since I was freezing my nuts off over winter in the early mornings. But then the poor buggers in Victoria were colder lol.

With no mortgage, a sub tropical life style and easy access to some of the best beaches, hinterlands and for that ability to do some tourist things if you want you would be very hard pressed to go past QLD in my opinion.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:12 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
With no mortgage, a sub tropical life style and easy access to some of the best beaches, hinterlands and for that ability to do some tourist things if you want you would be very hard pressed to go past QLD in my opinion.
I think Northern NSW tops SE Qld. If you can find work in the hinterland around Byron - Bangalow, Mullum, that sort of area - live mortgage free, then you can really enjoy the good life without all the crass concrete jungles that SE Qld excels at. The scenery around there is simply stunning.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:24 pm
ABCDiamond

Any Advice Please..
Bayside part of SE QLD
Not too hot, not very touristy, and quite a few ALDI stores to keep the competition in check

No Mortgage and No Kids = Why work

Do things cost more in OZ than the UK? I haven't a clue now.

But here's some of this weeks shopping, for my area (does not apply in WA)

$0.99 Tinned Pineapple Pieces 440gm
$2.19 Milk whole cream 2 litres
$3.99 Fish Fingers (40) 1kg
$4.49 Potatoes 4kg
$1.09 Bread Sliced white 700gm
$0.99 Turkish Delight chocolate bar 50gm
$1.79 Frozen Baby peas 500gm
$0.79 Tomatoes Roma 800gm
$0.79 Pears fresh Packam 1kg
$2.59 Eggs 1 dozen 700gm
$1.49 Pineapple Juice 850ml
$3.89 Yoghurt Strawberry 1kg
$4.99 Breakfast Cereal Honey nut 850gm
$2.69 Croissants Frozen 4 pack
$3.99 Vanilla Cones 4 pack
$3.99 Ice Cream 4 litres

Butchers
Chicken Breast Fillets $6.99 kg
Rump Steak budget $5.99
Rump Steak MSA quality $9.99 kg
Prawns medium cooked $6.99 kg
Atlantic Salmon $13.99 kg
Sausages budget $1.99 kg
Sausages "Award winning" $7.99 kg
Leg of Lamb at $6.97 kg

Drink
Jacobs Creek Chardonnay Pinot Noir $8.99
Jacobs Creek Reserve 2006 Shiraz $13.99
Half Mile Creek Chardonnay $6.99 1 ltr bottle

Many of these prices will be higher in some other shops, (Especially in Victoria from what I have heard), but I prefer the better prices, especially for the same things!

Do things cost more in OZ than the UK?

Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:58 pm
Suncream, I need suncream

northerner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond reputenortherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think Northern NSW tops SE Qld.
Absolutely! - don't be tempted to stray across the border, stick to northern NSW!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Bayside part of SE QLD
Not too hot, not very touristy, and quite a few ALDI stores to keep the competition in check

$4.49 Potatoes 4kg
$2.59 Eggs 1 dozen 700gm
$3.99 Ice Cream 4 litres

Butchers
Rump Steak budget $5.99
Sausages budget $1.99 kg
Leg of Lamb at $6.97 kg

Drink

Many of these prices will be higher in some other shops, (Especially in Victoria from what I have heard), but I prefer the better prices, especially for the same things!

Wow....those chicken breast are cheap. I only eat chicken breast and the cheapest I can buy it is around the $12 dollar mark so that's ace! [without skin on]

To answer the question re cost of living: I think food is relatively expensive but if you shop around you can get great value for money. I've learned not to waste food like I did in UK and tend to cook from scratch, so buy spices rather than ready made sauces. That makes for much nicer tasting dishes.

In summary - difficult to match like-4-like UK /Aus. It's just different kind of food shopping and if you shop around like ABC, the bargains are there
Old Sep 27th 2008, 2:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Any Advice Please..
COL is similar to the UK - maybe slightly less here.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of
Thumbs down Re: Cost Of Living in OZ etc.....

bet you wouldnt want to live in country wa then jurien bay 3 hour drive from perth.local iga prices:

milk 2 litre $3.69[
bread $2.70
scotch fillet steak $29 kg
chicken fillets $16.99 kg
been back to uk in june for 6 weeks holiday. food prices are comparable or cheaper than i pay,toiletries cheaper etc in uk.
just thought i would put in my 2 bobs worth lol
audrey

QUOTE=ABCDiamond;6821880]Bayside part of SE QLD

$4.49 Potatoes 4kg
$2.59 Eggs 1 dozen 700gm
$3.99 Ice Cream 4 litres

Butchers
Rump Steak budget $5.99
Sausages budget $1.99 kg
Leg of Lamb at $6.97 kg

Drink

Do things cost more in OZ than the UK?[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 27th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
bet you wouldnt want to live in country wa then jurien bay 3 hour drive from perth.local iga prices:

milk 2 litre $3.69[
bread $2.70
scotch fillet steak $29 kg
chicken fillets $16.99 kg
been back to uk in june for 6 weeks holiday. food prices are comparable or cheaper than i pay,toiletries cheaper etc in uk.
just thought i would put in my 2 bobs worth lol
audrey

QUOTE=ABCDiamond;6821880]Bayside part of SE QLD

$4.49 Potatoes 4kg
$2.59 Eggs 1 dozen 700gm
$3.99 Ice Cream 4 litres

Butchers
Rump Steak budget $5.99
Sausages budget $1.99 kg
Leg of Lamb at $6.97 kg

Drink

[/QUOTE]
hi ;just back from supermarket ,get this

scotch fillet is now $33.99 kg
eggs (12) $8
oranges large bag $7 kg

girls none 0f you can complain about the prices of food where you are
audrey
Old Sep 27th 2008, 11:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by aasmith1957

eggs (12) $8
oranges large bag $7 kg

audrey
I knew there was a reason I never went to WA No wonder some people say it is expensive in Australia, even though they mean 'WA'

Actually it can be expensive in other areas as well, but your prices are beyond reason.

We just collected about 10kg of oranges from our tree today, but sometimes I think about getting rid of the tree, as oranges are so cheap. However, they are a bit pricey this week $1.99 kg !! Umm, OK still cheaper than WA

Old Sep 27th 2008, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I knew there was a reason I never went to WA No wonder some people say it is expensive in Australia, even though they mean 'WA'

Actually it can be expensive in other areas as well, but your prices are beyond reason.

We just collected about 10kg of oranges from our tree today, but sometimes I think about getting rid of the tree, as oranges are so cheap. However, they are a bit pricey this week $1.99 kg !! Umm, OK still cheaper than WA
think the price hike is to do with the long weekend and schools off for 2 weeks.this is a fishing village beautiful,nothing to do except fishing,swimming etc.when we get the out of townies the prices get jacked up.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 4:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

eggs (12) $8
oranges large bag $7 kg

audrey[/quote]

Those prices are much more like ours than ABCD's.

Fillet steak is $30 - $40 / Kg here, sausages (good ones admittedly) $14 / Kg.

Things in "Country" Australia can be several times the city prices because of the lack of competition and price gouging.
Old Sep 28th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Bayside part of SE QLD

$4.49 Potatoes 4kg
$2.59 Eggs 1 dozen 700gm
$3.99 Ice Cream 4 litres

Butchers
Rump Steak budget $5.99
Sausages budget $1.99 kg
Leg of Lamb at $6.97 kg

Drink

Jeez, where do you shop? I'm in Brisbane too and my prices are nothing like that!

Chicken breast usually $11-14 per kilo (depending if it's on special, more if it's free range)
Salmon $26-$30 per kilo
Steak is about the same as salmon
Gourmet sausages - about $6 for 6
Lamb cutlets - about $15 for 8
Prawns medium cooked $15-$20 per kilo, larger prawns cost up to $30 per kilo
Dozen eggs usually at least $5, more if we get the free range ones which we usually do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.