Reload this Page >

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Old May 9th 2010, 8:30 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cost of living London vs Sydney

Originally Posted by bcworld
What are you suggesting!?
I think he is referring to the many people using the FX rate to show Australia in a bad light these days

Old May 9th 2010, 8:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What are you suggesting!?
Not sure

I thought that percentages being used, in some posts, might show things in a more favourable light.

But, of course, I may be wrong
Old May 9th 2010, 8:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think he is referring to the many people using the FX rate to show Australia in a bad light these days
Getting a bit desperate are you?

Where has your alter ego (allgoode) gone?.....do you work in shifts?
Old May 9th 2010, 8:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Getting a bit desperate are you?

Where has your alter ego (allgoode) gone?.....do you work in shifts?
desperate ? No... just having a laugh at... it all...

You really think that 'allgoode' is my alter ego ? so, using your words... Getting a bit desperate are you?

Old May 22nd 2010, 6:34 pm
Ozbound

Ista will become famous soon enoughIsta will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sushimania
On average, would you say the cost of living (food, clothes, petrol, restaurants; etc.) is cheaper in Sydney in comparison to London? Anything that might be more expensive in Sydney? Thank you.
Hiya, I was talking to my friend about this who's been living in Sydney now for about three yrs, moved there from London. He says he finds Sydney is generally better value for money though anyone who thinks it's miles cheaper than London is going to be disappointed.

I've been keeping an eye on rental prices and they're expensive in both places; the main difference I can see is that you can live really close to the centre of Sydney and pay a relatively 'reasonable' rent...the equivalent of which wouldn't stretch to pretty much anywhere in Zone 1 in London. I live in Zone 2 but am able to look at places within walking distance of the centre of Sydney which Id never be able to do here in London.

Also my friend didn't notice a difference in the price of groceries but I guess it depends on where you were shopping when you were here in London - if you did take advantage of the really low-price stuff (ie. Asda) etc that's around then you might notice that there is no equivalent 'really cheap' places in Sydney. However, if you usually go to the higher-end supermarkets like Waitrose or Marks, you probably won't. Personally, I find this whole low cost grocery thing is stupid because, yeah, you can go to Aldi and get some really cheap stuff but it's not going to be great value is it! I'd prefer to pay a bit more for something better value but, again, everyone is different. I guess its just important to remember that price isn't everything.

I think internet/TV does seem more expensive but there does seem to be quite a lot of choice and you can get faster connections than I can get here in London (and I live right near Canary Wharf!).

London really isn't cheap - I've been here for 8 yrs and your money doesn't get you very far when you're buying drinks in the city or eating out. And you mentioned (or was it someone else?) that you lived in Kensington - which is pretty much one of the most expensive parts of an expensive city, you'll probably notice Sydney is cheaper! Everyone's experience is going to vary hugely though so I think it's up to the individual to see how things work for themselves.

Hope this helps!
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:30 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
And it's only going to get more expensive. The cost of electricity is about to triple apparently...
I hope so
Old May 23rd 2010, 12:55 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I thought comparisons based on the exchange rate were considered moot around these parts? Can we get those as a percentage of something else...average hourly wage, price of a kilo of King Edwards...summink like that?
Isn't there something like a McDonalds burger index? I think there should be a Starbucks index - I was shocked at the price of a soy latte in Singapore the other week

I've never lived in London but I think Sydney is an expensive place to live. I can dust off my accounts (again) if anybody wants them.
Old May 23rd 2010, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

I lived in Wimbledon for three years and find that Sydney is more expensive in some aspects and others not so much.

Restaurant costs really depend on where you are. In some areas you can get a great brekky for $9 where some charge $15. Trains, Buses, and Ferries cost as little as $41 for the week. Rent is a bit more complex. You can get a cheap place in the centre of town for the same price as one out west. Difference is the number of bedrooms and quality. At $400 a week in North Sydney you'll get a craphole whereas out west you could be in a new build with a pool.

Main annoyance for me is this ridiculous "viewings only on Saturdays" business. When you're limited on time in a short term rental this can really mess up you're plans as you have to wait a whole week before you can view places again.
Old May 23rd 2010, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 77hil
I lived in Wimbledon for three years and find that Sydney is more expensive in some aspects and others not so much.

Restaurant costs really depend on where you are. In some areas you can get a great brekky for $9 where some charge $15. Trains, Buses, and Ferries cost as little as $41 for the week. Rent is a bit more complex. You can get a cheap place in the centre of town for the same price as one out west. Difference is the number of bedrooms and quality. At $400 a week in North Sydney you'll get a craphole whereas out west you could be in a new build with a pool.

Main annoyance for me is this ridiculous "viewings only on Saturdays" business. When you're limited on time in a short term rental this can really mess up you're plans as you have to wait a whole week before you can view places again.
I find public transport, buying weekly/monthly tickets far cheaper in Melbourne and Sydney than in London.

It's actually almost too cheap! And I get a good reliable service for that, despite complaints from some users on other lines.
Old May 23rd 2010, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I find public transport, buying weekly/monthly tickets far cheaper in Melbourne and Sydney than in London.

It's actually almost too cheap! And I get a good reliable service for that, despite complaints from some users on other lines.
It is very good value, especially with the new My Zone tickets!
Old May 23rd 2010, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 77hil
It is very good value, especially with the new My Zone tickets!
The My Zone tickets are a pain for me, I now have to pay an extra $6 (17%) a week for a ticket that provides me with access to transport (train) I don't want to use and don't have anyway where I live.
Old May 23rd 2010, 10:06 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

The new structure means my weekly ticket of $25 is back to what it was before the last rise; that's for a ten minute journey into the CBD.

When we move next month I'll be travelling about half the distance and paying more than twice as much - bloody airport line.