Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Old May 7th 2010, 12:39 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living London vs Sydney

Originally Posted by Deancm
I don't know where you got that price from. From Toyota.com.au drive away price for Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr is $26,892. Same car in UK £14,455 ($24,222 AUD).
Some From $19,562** advertised:
http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcar...oyota/Corolla/

** Price provided by the dealer. You should always confirm the single figure price with the dealer of the actual vehicle. [Interpretation: "If you think you can get it for that price, think again. Our sales people are so good they'll swallow you whole.]
Old May 7th 2010, 12:43 am
ABCDiamond

I don't know where you got that price from. From Toyota.com.au drive away price for Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr is $26,892. Same car in UK £14,455 ($24,222 AUD).
My price was from a dealer, actual price to buy one, not the manufacturers RRP.
You are looking at the RRP. I checked the RRP in QLD and it is $25,024 drive away. So you can get about $4,000 discount from a dealer.

How much is the normal UK drive away price after any discounts ?

The same principal applies as the Hyundai that I mentioned earlier

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Price example:
New Hyundai Getz S Hatchback 5dr 1.4i $12,990 drive away.

PS: Never pay RRP for anything... eg: Above car is $18,313 RRP.
In fact, remember, discounting applies for almost everything you buy. If you don't negotiate a price, you will pay too much. This applies to TV's, Washing machines, Furniture, etc.

UK Price comparisons are now changing with the FX rate, your UK £14,455 was $23,128 last week, it is now $24,388 as the £ recovers.

Old May 7th 2010, 12:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Some From $19,562** advertised:
http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcar...oyota/Corolla/

** Price provided by the dealer. You should always confirm the single figure price with the dealer of the actual vehicle. [Interpretation: "If you think you can get it for that price, think again. Our sales people are so good they'll swallow you whole.]
That price is the RRP before taxes, insurance and registration.

My experience with dealers is that they can be worn down on price, quite considerably.

Old May 7th 2010, 12:48 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I checked, and the VW Jetta that I have ordered is cheaper here than in the UK. Surprisingly the Aussie model has a better spec than the UK model.
Jetta TDI 6 speed DSG in Aus $39,547.30, in the UK £22,145 ($37,283). Prices from VW's UK and Aus websites.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Going back to the original question. We found Sydney very expensive, though we find Perth more expesive again. This is something we have been looking at a lot on behalf of a friend who is intending to move out here. In the UK he earns 25k sterling and leads a reasonable lifestyle. He, to have the same lifestyle he will need to earn at least $75k - a major difference.

We find eating out in Sydney to be about the same as London in both quality and price, but in Perth the quality is poor but the price is high.

Housing in Sydney we found expesive and comparable to London. The prices in Perth are as bad, which is appaling as Perth certainly isnt London Sydney or New York.

Day to day bills we find VERY expesive especially telephone and internet - the later is a joke
Old May 7th 2010, 12:52 am
Account Closed

My price was from a dealer, actual price to buy one, not the manufacturers RRP.
You are looking at the RRP. I checked the RRP in QLD and it is $25,024 drive away. So you can get about $4,000 discount from a dealer.

How much is the normal UK drive away price after any discounts ?
Working on dealer costs can be a bit misleading because every dealer is different and as different dealers manage their prices/deals differently. Price also changes depending on location. You could get similar dealer discounts in the UK.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:57 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Jetta TDI 6 speed DSG in Aus $39,547.30, in the UK £22,145 ($37,283). Prices from VW's UK and Aus websites.
Is this at $35,990 comparable?:
http://www.carshowroom.com.au/newcar...n/Jetta/JZ010A
Old May 7th 2010, 12:58 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that this is for the 125kW? To get the same spec as the Aus. model you would need to add the better multimedia system, climate control and a few other bits. Anyway we are talking $2k here and haggling with the dealer (in either country) will get you a better deal. I found all the VW dealers here in Perth ready to offer big discounts - aa I'm sure you would get in the UK.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Going back to the original question. We found Sydney very expensive, though we find Perth more expesive again. This is something we have been looking at a lot on behalf of a friend who is intending to move out here. In the UK he earns 25k sterling and leads a reasonable lifestyle. He, to have the same lifestyle he will need to earn at least $75k - a major difference.

We find eating out in Sydney to be about the same as London in both quality and price, but in Perth the quality is poor but the price is high.

Housing in Sydney we found expesive and comparable to London. The prices in Perth are as bad, which is appaling as Perth certainly isnt London Sydney or New York.

Day to day bills we find VERY expesive especially telephone and internet - the later is a joke
I agree with this 100%.

The only thing I have found cheaper here is petrol. Everything else is a rip off. Compared to London Sydney was definitely more expensive... Canberra is just the same as Sydney, if not more.

Bills are more expensive, the weekly shopping is more expensive, and the internet and phone is just ridiculous, even more ridiculous when you consider there is a limit on it and the speed is crap!

You earn enough to live here. But I found I had much more money left over living over there than I do here.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

Two examples of prices in the UK, with RRP and actual discounted price:

Auris Hatchback 1.6 VVTi TR 5d £15,140 £13,100 13.5% discount
Auris Hatchback 1.4 VVTi T2 5d £12,945 £11,660 9.9% discount

The Toyota Auris is the Corolla replacement. I am not sure if the above prices included registration or not.

I wasn't able to find a direct Corolla Ascent 1.8 comparison.

Old May 7th 2010, 1:00 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AllGoode
It's a bit misleading as that is not the OTR price. I'm getting the next model up from this one.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by canadaeh
and the internet and phone is just ridiculous, even more ridiculous when you consider there is a limit on it and the speed is crap!
24Mb/s speed is crap ??
$99.95 pm for unlimited ADSL2, including phone line rental. OK it may be pricey, but no limit and a good speed.

What speed do you get in the UK now ?

UK average speed is 5.59 Mb/s
Australia average speed is 5.40 Mb/s

Old May 7th 2010, 1:10 am
ABCDiamond

Working on dealer costs can be a bit misleading because every dealer is different and as different dealers manage their prices/deals differently. Price also changes depending on location. You could get similar dealer discounts in the UK.
Working on RRP is even worse, as very few people pay that price.

Working on the prices that people actually end up paying gives a much better real idea.

The important point though is that this gets the message across that prices are negotiable, and NOT to rely on RRP's.

Old May 7th 2010, 1:13 am
Account Closed

24Mb/s speed is crap ??
$99.95 pm for unlimited ADSL2, including phone line rental. OK it may be pricey, but no limit and a good speed.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...us-300x208.png
There are still a lot of people in regional Australia on dial-up. I wonder if that's taken into account in those averages. In the UK I was getting c20mb/s.
Old May 7th 2010, 1:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

24Mb/s speed is crap ??

http://www.abcdiamond.com/australia/...us-300x208.png
I am very happy with my internet connection. iinet have just increased the cap again - it's basically double what it was 6 months ago for the same money. Even I, as a serial downloader, will struggle to use 160Gb/month! Anyway, as has been discussed before, dowloads caps are in place because of capacity issues across the pacific - a problem that the UK does not have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.