Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Cost of living London vs Sydney

Old May 6th 2010, 1:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cost of living London vs Sydney

Originally Posted by Sushimania
On average, would you say the cost of living (food, clothes, petrol, restaurants; etc.) is cheaper in Sydney in comparison to London? Anything that might be more expensive in Sydney? Thank you.
It really does depend on what you spend your money on.

Some people may say that everything is more expensive.... however, are they right, are they being serious... ?

Petrol is cheaper
Restaurants ? How much is a steak dinner in a London restaurant now ?
Fresh Fruit and Veg may be cheaper, depending where you buy it.
If people buy in Woolworths and Coles, then yes it will be more expensive, unless of course you normally buy yours in Harrods.

At a guess, many things will be more expensive to begin with, until you learn the ropes.

Old May 6th 2010, 1:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
I checked out the figures for last year and the average was about $57K so I don't know where you got those figures from or how accurate they are.
Australian Bureau of Statistics http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/[email protected]/mf/6302.0/

May 2009 Average Male Full time total earnings: $1,346.90
x 52 = $70,038.80

Where did you get your figure ? How accurate is it ?

A News of The World article quoted this in Dec 2009
“Britain’s average salary is £21,320 before tax and national insurance“.
But the UK government figure was $27k so I compared like to like.
Maybe your $57k is comparable to the NOTW £21k ?

ABS Annual figures
May-2004 $1,060.10 = $55,125.20
May-2005 $1,131.50 = $58,838.00
May-2006 $1,157.70 = $60,200.40
May-2007 $1,217.80 = $63,325.60
May-2008 $1,272.00 = $66,144.00
May-2009 $1,346.90 = $70,038.80

Old May 6th 2010, 1:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Eating out in Sydney

Starter:
Garlic Prawns $13.95
5 marinated Tiger prawns pan-fried with crushed garlic, served on a bed of Cajun rice, and finished with a white wine cream sauce.

followed by:
Main:
Rib and Steak Combo $29.95
We combine a flame-grilled sirloin steak and a small rack of baby back ribs smothered with hickory smoked BBQ sauce to give you the best of both worlds. Served on Cajun rice with Fries and salad.

and for desert:
Banana Split $8.50
An old 50’s favourite served with crushed nuts, cream & ice cream, and garnished with a chocolate wafer. Add your choice of topping - chocolate, strawberry or caramel. An oldie but a goodie!

Total $52.40 or 3.9% of the gross weekly adult average full time wage.

Old May 6th 2010, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough

Overall,I thought it was more expensive--particularly housing.Increased salary didn't compensate.
Old May 6th 2010, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Sushimania will become famous soon enoughSushimania will become famous soon enough

Thank you so much for your answers. We have a little place in Kensington and was hoping to get something with a bit more space. Do cars tend to be more expensive as well in Australia?
Old May 6th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough

Yes second hand cars are quite a bit more expensive.New ones evenmore so--though petrol is cheaper.Cars tend to last longer because of lack of salt etc on roads in winter---be careful what you buy.There is no MOT etc and old bangers;wrecks etc abound.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:08 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Sushimania
Thank you so much for your answers. We have a little place in Kensington and was hoping to get something with a bit more space. Do cars tend to be more expensive as well in Australia?
New cars have often been cheaper, but do not depreciate as much, consequently the used ones end up being more expensive. FX rates though may change all perspectives, if you are buying with £'s.

Price example:
New Hyundai Getz S Hatchback 5dr 1.4i $12,990 drive away.

PS: Never pay RRP for anything... eg: Above car is $18,313 RRP.

Old May 6th 2010, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by wilf70
There is no MOT etc and old bangers;wrecks etc abound.
There is an annual safety inspection, but it isn't called an MOT.

Most vehicles more than five years old must pass an annual safety inspection.
No safety inspection notice = no registration.

Old May 6th 2010, 11:15 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
New cars have often been cheaper, but do not depreciate as much, consequently the used ones end up being more expensive. FX rates though may change all perspectives, if you are buying with £'s.

Price example:
New Hyundai Getz S Hatchback 5dr 1.4i $12,990 drive away.

PS: Never pay RRP for anything... eg: Above car is $18,313 RRP.
Who'd want to buy a piece of rubbish such as a Hyundai? If you want to buy a decent car such as an Audi or BMW that are very common in the UK, expect to pay double in Australia. Even Toyota, Honda and Mazda are far more expensive in Oz.
Old May 6th 2010, 11:29 pm
ABCDiamond

Who'd want to buy a piece of rubbish such as a Hyundai? If you want to buy a decent car such as an Audi or BMW that are very common in the UK, expect to pay double in Australia. Even Toyota, Honda and Mazda are far more expensive in Oz.
Many people buy Hyundai, however, lets look at the Toyota for you then...

New Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr 1.8i $20,990 Drive Away Price.
How does that one compare to the UK price ?

European cars will of course be more expensive in Australia, just as Australian cars are probably more expensive in the UK.

Top selling cars:
The best selling passenger cars in Queensland, from figures released in September 2009, were:

1 Toyota Corolla
2 Mazda 3
3 Holden Commodore
4 Ford Falcon
5 Toyota Hilux 4×4
6 Mitsubishi Lancer
7 Hyundai Getz
8 Nissan Navara 4×4
9 Toyota Hilux 4×2
10 Hyundai i30
3 Toyota's in the top ten, and 2 Hyundia's

From Hyundia NSW, May 2009 Hyundai moves up to 5th best selling brand

Old May 6th 2010, 11:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
The biggest problem here is housing. It's very expensive indeed for property in nice, desirable suburbs.
Sure, but unless things have changed very recently, rent/buying in London ain't exactly cheap either.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Many people buy Hyundai, however, lets look at the Toyota for you then...

New Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr 1.8i $20,990 Drive Away Price.
I don't know where you got that price from. From Toyota.com.au drive away price for Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr is $26,892. Same car in UK £14,455 ($24,222 AUD).
Old May 7th 2010, 12:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Sure, but unless things have changed very recently, rent/buying in London ain't exactly cheap either.
What I was paying in London is pretty much the same as what I am paying now for a similar property in Melbourne.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you got that price from. From Toyota.com.au drive away price for Toyota Corolla Ascent Sedan 4dr is $26,892. Same car in UK £14,455 ($24,222 AUD).
I checked, and the VW Jetta that I have ordered is cheaper here than in the UK. Surprisingly the Aussie model has a better spec than the UK model.
Old May 7th 2010, 12:29 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

The biggest cost of cars is their depreciation in value in their early years - a higher cost than fuel, service, repairs, insurance and taxes for all most all owners.

UK:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-depreciation-calculator/

Aus:
http://www.redbook.com.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.