Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is the cost of Living Comparable?

Is the cost of Living Comparable?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond reputeDicko has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is the cost of Living Comparable?

Hi Everyone,
I keep reading about differing views, about cost of living and would like some clarification is it dearer, cheaper or about the same.

I would be interested in hearing from people already over there or people who have returned because of all the checking I have done I think it looks comparable,
E.G We are a family of 5 and spend approx £100 week on shopping over here would it work out about the same. :scared:

Thanks in advance for the views, and anyone with approximate monthly spends would be appreciated.

D,K,J,B,J
Old Feb 13th 2005, 1:38 pm

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Is the cost of Living Comparable?

I think it all depends on whether you are comparing apples and pears.

The cost of living in Oz is less than the UK.
The wages in Oz are less than the UK. (You have to look out for this one.)
The cost of a lifestyle (e.g. surfing, sailing, flying ...) in Oz is less than the UK.
The cost of conspicuous consumption (e.g. driving BMWs & Mercedes) is MORE in Oz than in the UK.
The cost of living PLUS the cost of having a lifestyle CAN BE MORE in Oz than the JUST the cost of living in the UK. (This is the one that you have to look out for.)

Regards
Alistair

Last edited by kirsty&al; Feb 13th 2005 at 1:42 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 5:00 pm
Banned

jumpship is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I think it all depends on whether you are comparing apples and pears.

The cost of living in Oz is less than the UK.
The wages in Oz are less than the UK. (You have to look out for this one.)
The cost of a lifestyle (e.g. surfing, sailing, flying ...) in Oz is less than the UK.
The cost of conspicuous consumption (e.g. driving BMWs & Mercedes) is MORE in Oz than in the UK.
The cost of living PLUS the cost of having a lifestyle CAN BE MORE in Oz than the JUST the cost of living in the UK. (This is the one that you have to look out for.)

Regards
Alistair
Thank you for this information.
JS
Old Feb 17th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

TheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of lightTheColebecks is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dicko
Hi Everyone,
I keep reading about differing views, about cost of living and would like some clarification is it dearer, cheaper or about the same.

I would be interested in hearing from people already over there or people who have returned because of all the checking I have done I think it looks comparable,
E.G We are a family of 5 and spend approx £100 week on shopping over here would it work out about the same. :scared:

Thanks in advance for the views, and anyone with approximate monthly spends would be appreciated.

D,K,J,B,J
Hi

Thanks for link to here that you posted following my question here ... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284658 - we have the same family size (5)

I thought the link here http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278297 that someone posted on my thread was very useful.

Regs
Kari