cost of living

Old Nov 12th 2003, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
A Pom and his football aren't easily parted

One weeknd we went for a **romantic** break to Phillip Island. Lovely old cottage, 4-poster bed, NO TV IN ROOM (hurrah). What happens? Hubby stays up in lounge room to watch Liverpool at midnight, comes to bed at 2am. Grrrr!

Oh it's been a nightmare this emigration lark, he is so homesick for football!!

I wish you all the very best...and if you ever feel like you need a good anti-football moan, you know where I am

p.s. if you manage to wean him off footy, please tell me the secret of your success!
Great to hear UK soccer is up and running in Oz, that's a load of my mind..not sure about the missus...she's asleep so I won't go ask her !

Harking back to a much earlier posts , my personal opinion is that you are on a hiding to nothing if you rely on average salary/mortgage/food/exchange rates to work out whether you will be better off or can survive in Oz.

Everyone's set of circumstances is different and if yours is at such borderline that you are relying on a favourable fx rate to make your decision, I would suggest that it is not right for you. You do not need anyone else to tell you that you need to be financially secure for the 1st few months on Oz, and relying on fx rates is not the way to go.

But if you think that you have the cash to make the move and be secure, I believe the majority of the benefits of living in Oz cannot be measured in monetary terms, its a lifestyle thing - as said so many times on other threads
Old Nov 12th 2003, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Once you get hooked up to cable you'll be laughing on the sport front.

SBS show a game live on saturday, so do ESPN. then you get a full repeat Sunday afternoon.
During the winter you can watch wall to wall rugby league as well. Not to mention AFL on terrestrial. Friday night footie.

If its sport you've come to get away from forget it. If your hubbies aer anything like me they'll start getting hooked on the local sports and teams. I've now managed to find a useless team to support in all codes (with the possible exception of the Swans). I can managed to get depressed about sporting results 3 times in one weekend.

Another thing about Aus TV is that they can reeeallly stretch a sports broadcast. I think the Melbourne Cup coverage ran for 10 hours, likewise the GP.

I LOVE IT
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by RichS
Once you get hooked up to cable you'll be laughing on the sport front.

SBS show a game live on saturday, so do ESPN. then you get a full repeat Sunday afternoon.
During the winter you can watch wall to wall rugby league as well. Not to mention AFL on terrestrial. Friday night footie.

If its sport you've come to get away from forget it. If your hubbies aer anything like me they'll start getting hooked on the local sports and teams. I've now managed to find a useless team to support in all codes (with the possible exception of the Swans). I can managed to get depressed about sporting results 3 times in one weekend.

Another thing about Aus TV is that they can reeeallly stretch a sports broadcast. I think the Melbourne Cup coverage ran for 10 hours, likewise the GP.

I LOVE IT
we get 5 live Premiership games a week (1 on SBS and 4 on Foxtel). then's there 's the 6 hrs of footy (soccer) on SBS on a Sun afternoon. Then the live Champions League games in the early hours (was 5am but will now be 7am). And all the CL repeats later in the evenings. Oh and Premiership review show, Premiership highlights show.......no escape...none whatsoever!!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:23 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

no escape...none whatsoever!!
Allow me to introduce you to the concept of the 'off' button....

WADR, I didn't come halfway around the world to watch TV.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
WADR, I didn't come halfway around the world to watch TV.
actually, it's about the only thing the TV goes on for. And fortunately, the late night TV is only worth staying up for if it's Liverpool (which is about once a month). Phew!!

What's WADR?
Old Nov 12th 2003, 1:45 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

actually, it's about the only thing the TV goes on for. And fortunately, the late night TV is only worth staying up for if it's Liverpool (which is about once a month). Phew!!

What's WADR?
With All Due Respect.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:28 pm
Goodpubmisser

Originally posted by WheelsOfSteel
Presumably, per week?
Would be per week.

Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

hi, i'm married to a mad villa fan and have been reading with interest. alan is doing all the stuff mentioned, alarm has been on at 6am etc. etc. alan is just so angry that b'ham city are on so often!
we had austar installed just for the sport......
the tv is pretty poor even with austar tho' after the uk. got lots of boxes of videos we never had time to watch before so maybe we will plough through them soon!
our big didital tv needed no "surgery" here but our other two tv's needed adjusting, cost 55 dollars each by the way.
karen
tracey, where are you headed? we are from birmingham, been here since september.
Old Nov 13th 2003, 7:55 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

we get 5 live Premiership games a week (1 on SBS and 4 on Foxtel). then's there 's the 6 hrs of footy (soccer) on SBS on a Sun afternoon. Then the live Champions League games in the early hours (was 5am but will now be 7am). And all the CL repeats later in the evenings. Oh and Premiership review show, Premiership highlights show.......no escape...none whatsoever!!
I'm sending my application withdrawal off to DIMIA straight away <G>

Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:04 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karenvirginia
hi, i'm married to a mad villa fan and have been reading with interest. alan is doing all the stuff mentioned, alarm has been on at 6am etc. etc. alan is just so angry that b'ham city are on so often!
we had austar installed just for the sport......
the tv is pretty poor even with austar tho' after the uk. got lots of boxes of videos we never had time to watch before so maybe we will plough through them soon!
our big didital tv needed no "surgery" here but our other two tv's needed adjusting, cost 55 dollars each by the way.
karen
tracey, where are you headed? we are from birmingham, been here since september.
Hi there

Probably Perth but totally open to suggestions at the moment. Could be anywhere......as long as he can get Villa highlights!!

Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:12 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys - you have really put me on a downer - leaving the Villa behind was one of the few things I am NOT concerned about.

Now it seems I am going to have to cope with even more bloody footy on the telly than I do now!

Mind you, if it is the middle of the night or early in the morning at least I won't have to sit through it as well.

And if it isn't footy it is golf - and we might be going to New Plymouth where - as hubby reported gleefully the other night when he was supposed to be looking for house rental availability on the net - there are more golf courses per head than anywhere else in the country!!

and we are going for a better lifestyle where we can spend more time together!!!
Old Nov 13th 2003, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

good news on the football front then eh lads ?

i like baseball and ice hockey too tho and now knowing about the footy i'll miss the others

Paul
Old Jan 4th 2004, 4:01 am

mayten is an unknown quantity at this point

from what i,ve read on some threads it seems to be influenced by your occupation, there seems to be a ceiling to what someone in a certain professsion can earn including the building trade.
i,m an electrician and everyone seems to say that $45000 is a standard wage to expect,which in comparison to the uk is low.
Old Jan 4th 2004, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

It all varies doesnt as we have found on here before. I work in ashop but am casual so get no holidays and no sick and have to cover al the crap hours and i get $16.04 a hr , but the other permanent girls who do a 40 hr week and more get $13 an hr , which we got in england , around 5 pound isnt it . Yesterday the shop temperature was 36 and it was awful i have to say , aircon just packed up , and they say it wont be fixed this year , no spare budget On the whole we amble through , there will be no holidays abroad for us sadly , dont have the spending power , which we seemed to have in the UK. But we do as someone else said seem to get through each week , we didnt do much in the UK and do seem to do more here , so it all evens out i say.
People say you will need money and i have to agree it makes life a little easier , noy always happier but easier , as we know with coming over with hardly nothing , but we have got through 15 months and will continue going
Joanne
Old Jan 4th 2004, 3:58 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

If you look at The Economist magazine's GDP/capita measure but using PPP (Purchasing Power Parity, ie what your money actually buys you in each country), then Australia does very well compared to the UK.

If you can afford to be mortgage-free, it will really make a huge difference to your money worries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.