cost of living

Old Nov 10th 2003, 10:27 pm
Badge

My mate who is a family man says that he hardly spends a cent that he doesn't need to and seems well off - well he is. But then he doesn't have expensive tastes- but he does have a nice home.

Coming from London where I earn 30k I think I will be better off in Australia as the things l like doing don't cost so much or are free.

I think its the middle - high income earners in the Uk who bought their homes say 5+ years ago that will think Australia is expensive.

also we will be dual income at some point which neither of us has had before.

Badge

Old Nov 11th 2003, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi Tracey

We have manged to do the morgage free thing but only because we bought what we could afford, we could have had a mortage and had a superdooper house but we knew our earning capabilities were limited and just didn't want to be in the position of worrying about the morgage as well as everything else.

Even so, we are not as well off as we were in Uk due to my job being much lower paid. Saying that we have enough to do what we want and enjoy life here without going over board. It depends on how you live your life and what your expectations are.

Good luck with it all
Diane
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

The agent from the employment agency that sorted my wifes job prior to coming out here told us that moving to NZ would financially be a step back 2 years. We were prepared to accept that but our standard of living does not make us feel we have taken that step back.

Rob
Old Nov 11th 2003, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

You can't quantify immaterial things in a monetary way... Once you adjust and kow where to go for what you'll be fine. It's more basic out here in a very positive way...
Old Nov 11th 2003, 7:44 pm
Goodpubmisser

I have found that generally the overall cost of living in Australia is less than England.

However in terms if you will be better off as an individual this depends on such factors as what you do for a living, where you live etc.

You can have a very good standard of living in a country town in Australia if you can find a decent job. The only decent jobs in this case however tend to be for Nurses, Doctors, Dentists etc. Also depending on how you feel about it, I could never live in a country town in Australia as it would be a slow death.

If you are say a shop worker, you are very much better off in Australia than in England. If you are a Surgeon, you are generally better off in England. Lower skilled jobs in Australia generally pay more than the UK and higher skilled less.

Although the overall cost of living is less than England, this is rapidly changing. 10 years ago the difference was more dramatic. I found 10 years ago that the following things were cheaper in Australia:

Unprocessed food, eg meat, vegetables.
Petrol (the longer distances that you drive however tends to cancel this advantage).
Eating out at night.

Things that I found a lot more expensive:
Processed foods such as cakes
Shoes
Books
Beer
Labour generally, eg getting in a plumber

Things have changed now with the introduction of the GST but the above I think is still generally true, just less of a price difference.

If you move to one of the smaller cities such as Perth or Adelaide you might well find that you have to take a lower job than you would have in England.

Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:49 pm
Badge

If you are say a shop worker, you are very much better off in Australia than in England. If you are a Surgeon, you are generally better off in England. Lower skilled jobs in Australia generally pay more than the UK and higher skilled less.

Good point - there is someone on this foum who works in a shop , yet is able to rent a 2 bed house with yard in a nice suburb - who could do that in the UK?

I think some professions are overpaid.

Badge

Old Nov 12th 2003, 12:00 am
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

At least in Oz you won't get so depressed about the footy scores!

My hubby is also a Villa fan and is worried about missing the weekly disappointment when (if) we move to NZ - I can't wait though!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 7:22 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pollster

Yup, you and me both!

No footie on a Saturday... no sulking when they lose (again!)

Yipppppeee... Life will be the richer for it.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by badgersmount

Good point - there is someone on this foum who works in a shop , yet is able to rent a 2 bed house with yard in a nice suburb - who could do that in the UK?

I think some professions are overpaid.

Badge

According to sundays paper the poorest workers in OZ were (National averages) pre tax.

Hairdressers 528
food prep workers 543
Horticultural workers 564
Cleaners 605
Shop assistants 619

Best paid

Doctors 1574
Miners and construction workers 1237
computing professionals 1188
Building and engineering professionals 1163

The numbers after the profession is my lazy way of typing the dollars they earn.

Some reference to the working hours include Doctors 42.5 hours
Police 39.4 hours
Miners 44.6 hours

Speaking of work I had better do some
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

Presumably, per week?
Old Nov 12th 2003, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TraceyW
Hi Pollster

Yup, you and me both!

No footie on a Saturday... no sulking when they lose (again!)

Yipppppeee... Life will be the richer for it.
You are joking aren't you? You wait until they start going to bed at 9pm on a Sat evening and setting the alarm for 2am to get up and watch the live broadcast on TV!!!

(then there's the constant text message bleeps thru the night as UK mates start sending the various footy scores!!)
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:12 am
Account Closed

Please tell me you are jesting??!!!!

Is that what your chappie does? Personally I would absolutely, completely and utterly agree with you should you wish to use those reasons as grounds for a divorce!!!!

Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TraceyW

Please tell me you are jesting??!!!!

Is that what your chappie does? Personally I would absolutely, completely and utterly agree with you should you wish to use those reasons as grounds for a divorce!!!!

A Pom and his football aren't easily parted

One weeknd we went for a **romantic** break to Phillip Island. Lovely old cottage, 4-poster bed, NO TV IN ROOM (hurrah). What happens? Hubby stays up in lounge room to watch Liverpool at midnight, comes to bed at 2am. Grrrr!

Oh it's been a nightmare this emigration lark, he is so homesick for football!!

I wish you all the very best...and if you ever feel like you need a good anti-football moan, you know where I am

p.s. if you manage to wean him off footy, please tell me the secret of your success!
Old Nov 12th 2003, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Hi HP

I usually use sex as emotional blackmail!!!

Not always successfull....depends on who they're playing!!!!!

Whereabouts are you based? Do you like it? Apart from the footy thing.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Tracey
lol

We're in Melbourne - been here about 18 months but we're coming home next month to have a baby (I wonder if that was down to football bribery!!), due in March. We've had our highs and lows here but essentially had a great time (as we've seen and done so much) - but we are still undecided where we want our long-term future. (Lack of family and experience with babies was our driving factor for going back now, but Oz visas till 2007 so who knows. Prob wouldn't come back to Melbourne tho.)

Where are you headed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.