Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:38 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

I know its sad, but I do always like these "we spend x on groceries" threads.

We live in Brisbane CBD and I don't think we spend more than $100 or $120 tops per week on food for two adults and one small toddler. We shop around and eat pretty well. (no life of luxury though, I'll admit). We do all our own cooking.

So when I read about 2adults 2 teens spending $400 a week, straightaway I think - that's twice as much as we spend.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Which is great if you don't mind shopping in Aldi and then having to go on to Woolies or Coles to get all the other stuff you need that Aldi didn't have in.
The other alternative, is not to go in Woolworths or Coles at all. Although being so close, it is pretty easy.

However, I do need to go to Woolworths for some things, Toilet Rolls and Strawberry Liquorice being the main two importants things, for me

Funny thing is, I shop at Woolworths more than I realise, or at least I SPEND at Woolworths more than I realise...
31% ALDI
46% Woolworths
23% Other

Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:07 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
I've seen so many figures - but the one that really scared me was Dean's figure of $200,000 p.a. to live a "comfortable life" for a family with 2 kids in Melbourne.

I have a fair idea of how much a house is going to cost me to rent or buy; education; medical; entertainment...etc.

Am just trying to get an idea of our basic living costs -would be great if some of you could share your average bills for:

Food+Groceries (family of 4)

Utilities (water; rates; insurance; gas; electricity)- say a 4 bed, without a pool

Internet

Mobile Phone

Reg+Ins+petrol - a mid sized salon

Tia
I am surely one of the most sceptical (and intelligent) posters on here.With 2 school age kids you can earn "buttons" and centrelink will make it up to a liveable wage if you are carefull and sensible about your outgoings..
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:09 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla

We live in Brisbane CBD and I don't think we spend more than $100 or $120 tops per week on food for two adults and one small toddler. We shop around and eat pretty well. (no life of luxury though, I'll admit). We do all our own cooking.

So when I read about 2adults 2 teens spending $400 a week, straightaway I think - that's twice as much as we spend.
Not a clue how you manage it to be honest. I simply cannot see how we could halve our weekly food shop.... I suppose buying only the one jar of Beluga would be a start but I feel that's just too harsh a cutback.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:29 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
So do I...

Old Jun 19th 2009, 1:33 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by copa
my groceries rarely top $120 per week for a family of 5. We eat really well.
What do you buy, a big bag of rice that will last a month?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:07 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
And what do you do? Dine out at Dominos every night?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
And what do you do? Dine out at Dominos every night?
What are you implying? That Dominos is too expensive for you?

I personally wouldn't touch Dominos with a 10ft barge pole. Rubbish food. Maybe you need to stop eating it and reduce your waistline...
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:35 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe you need to stop eating it and reduce your waistline...

ouch.. that was a bit below the belt.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
ouch.. that was a bit below the belt.
Actually hanging over the belt.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I more or less stoped buying bread a few months back.I was sick of buying it,eating half of it and then throwing it because it went mouldy.Now I make soda bread every three days and eveyone eats it.We buy our alcohol at my mates Dan Murphy,veggies at Wanneroo market and the rest at Woolies. No readymade meals.All this saves a bit.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:04 am
Just Joined

Inventra.Roo is an unknown quantity at this point

I shop sensibly, plan my food and my shopping and usually spend about $150 a week on essentials and do a big shop once every couple of months where I will buy all my meat.

I freeze a lot, including bread, as we don't use bread quickly enough to keep it in the pantry.

Where ever you are, shopping can be expensive or cheap, just depends on how much effort you put into it. Quick fixes as always going to cost you...as that is the idea....

And if you are in VIC/SA, you fruit and veggies are going to cost more, we are in a drought you know! Don't like it, grow your own!

...it is swings and roundabouts, there must be other reasons you are living here than the cost of food, do they not offset the fact that your broccoli is 20% more than you are used to paying?
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

Our family of four spend $300 per week at least, Australia is an expensive place for food/ clothes etc, been out here 6 years and still get shocked at the cost of living.

My parents come over every Christmas from the UK and can't believe how much we pay for food, so for those about to come over be ready to shop in supermarkets that are 10 years behind those in the uk but about 10 years in front for their pricing and check those sell by dates before you buy fresh meat etc.

Saw a report the other day and Australia has seen the highest rise in food prices over the last 5 years over any other developed nation.

So be prepared to have beans on toast now and again when you move over.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DibDob
We use 1 loaf of bread a fortnight and 2 litres of milk a week, what the hell r u doing with your bread and milk lol

2 teenagers on those portions would starve. Youd be in child welfare

Dont forget basic nutritional requirements for a teen is 3/4 serves of milk,yog or cheese and 5 - 11 serves of grains ie bread pasta EACH a DAY.

Your talking what 2 teens could easily eat in a day.

We easily use 3/4 litres of milk a day and cheapest grain bread ( dont eat white, it has little nutritional value ) is around $3.

$40 a week on milk and bread is nothing if you have teens. We spend more than that, partner is a builder, everyone in our house is skinnny too Just active, growing and hungry
Old Jun 19th 2009, 3:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
cheapest grain bread is around $3.
$1.40 at our local Fruit and Veg shop, and it lasts longer than the ALDI one which is even cheaper.

I like fresh soft bread, but we don't eat much, so we tend to buy a loaf every other day, and throw out what's left of the old one when we buy the new fresh one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.