Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:39 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It actually moves around a bit, between 2 and 3 dollars to the £. And with the very weak £, the strong Australian dollars go a long way these days.
We transferred some money to the UK today, and got 0.4771 with Tranzfers. Should really have done it a few weeks ago.

I do believe that it will be a long time before we see 3 dollars to the pound, due to the UK's "quantitative easing".... I think it'll bounce around between 0.51 and 0.39 for a good couple of years at least. (that's $1.95 and $2.55 if your looking at it the other way round. )
Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:45 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by asprilla
I think it'll bounce around between 0.51 and 0.39 for a good couple of years at least. (that's $1.95 and $2.55 if your looking at it the other way round. )
For some reason I still can't get my head around the pence to the dollar rate, I still work in the $ to the £ rate.

Old Jun 24th 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

And where is your workplace ? You must have a very sensible grandad

Yep, only 2.7% unemployed in this area, and mansions that students can afford
as opposed to the great swathes of retiress
Where's your closest Uni?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:06 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason I still can't get my head around the pence to the dollar rate, I still work in the $ to the £ rate.

It took me about 2yrs to stop converting everything back to pounds when I first arrived here. Haven't looked back since.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
as opposed to the great swathes of retiress
Where's your closest Uni?
You had better tell me your area so we can see a proper comparison, rather than your unverified statements...

Old Jun 24th 2009, 6:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. Weird isn't it. They say 0.48 on the news and I simply can't do the maths or visual it in any way.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 7:24 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla

It took me about 2yrs to stop converting everything back to pounds when I first arrived here. Haven't looked back since.
I take it you haven't visited the UK since?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

General thoughts on shops and clothes...someone was talking about clothes the other day..

Not normally much of a shopper..

I found and used our local Tasman Meat supplier the other day.

I got pork sausages at 4.99 a kilo. Porterhouse at 21 odd.
Chump Chops at 8.99 a kilo.There you go.

Also have been looking at clothes- haven't bought any new ones for ages. Bought a pair of black RM Williams for work $340 - whew - but they will last me for 5 years plus. These boots are the best shoes I have ever worn. This is my second pair.

Also had a look at the winter sales in the CBD - that's a rarity for me... You can get a good quality winter jacket for $100, a designer polo for $50. I found one decent work short that had the correct cut which was $130!!
Business shirts are an issue here and I haven't got the time to look in many places. There are but you pay well over $100. Having said that, the UK equivalent is about the same, to be honest, apart from high end M&S...

A decent jumper was also $130, down from $200..exy - but good. Might need to chat to the Minister of Finance on that one - I want to make sure she gets something she likes too..

I've come to the conclusion I need to buy well, take the cost on the chin but have the gear last 10 years easily.

Some of the best clothing shops where you get what you pay for, but with quality, are the ones that sell sort of 'airport clothes' meets American, but not boutique or fashionable - the sort of stuff that never goes out of fashion infact. Biggest Brit whinge - no concept of middle of the road: Next, allegedly, unless you look at the likes of Colarado - I'm guessing.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Biggest Brit whinge - no concept of middle of the road: Next, allegedly, unless you look at the likes of Colarado - I'm guessing.
My missus is a Pom, and she reckons it's gone completely downhill in the last 5 years, so it's not worth buying anymore. I have to admit, it does look rather cheap & nasty, but she assures me it was good gear in its day.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:28 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
My missus is a Pom....
Surely your 'missus' is a fine English lady of class and breeding... not some strange multi-seeded fruit.

...I could of course be wrong and see is indeed a fruit.
Old Jun 24th 2009, 10:41 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Surely your 'missus' is a fine English lady of class and breeding... not some strange multi-seeded fruit.

Or you could just be Pompous?
Old Jun 24th 2009, 11:27 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Well she does go very red sometimes. Does that count?

Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Well she does go very red sometimes. Does that count?

Stop hitting her!

And stop drinking Stella!
Old Jun 24th 2009, 12:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Cost of living - $50k or $200k??

Originally Posted by Deancm
Stop hitting her!

And stop drinking Stella!
It's a natural look; our daughter has it too:

Old Jun 24th 2009, 1:33 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

We have no Aldi in SA

Our costs are as follows per week;
Mobile phones x 2 $ 30
Rent 3x2 house; $420
Water $ 3.22
Gas $ 7.50
Electric $ 70.00
Home phone $ 10.00
Dog licence $ 0.80
Petrol $ 0.00 company car
Contents insurance$ 7.40
Shopping... well that's a difficult one really, I reckon on spending around $160 on a supermarket shop, which is then supplemented by market trips etc through the week.

I reckon we spend $3200 per month on the everything. But we don't have car expenses. So they'll need to be taken into consideration...

It' no wonder I'm feeling poor! Must find cheaper place to live!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.