Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of iiving comparison 2016

Cost of iiving comparison 2016

Old Feb 6th 2016, 10:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of iiving comparison 2016

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Not completely true...my soon to be SiL industrial electrician is Fifo'ing to Onslow WA 6K a week !

I'm really looking forward to seeing what toys he puts in my Daughters newly bought house in Torquay. Got my fingers crossed for easy access to a nice boat
Is London a market dominated by mining and Fifo?

Find a comparable occupation, finance, software, etc and look at the high end and it will almost certainly pay more in London.
Old Feb 6th 2016, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Is London a market dominated by mining and Fifo?

Find a comparable occupation, finance, software, etc and look at the high end and it will almost certainly pay more in London.

That may be true.... however the Majority of the population are far better served by the Aus employment systems.

Barwork and all hospitality work pays a hell of lot more in Aus than the UK. It's a completely different ball game here. The incomes are far more evenly spread in Aus amongst most of the working population. The low end pays far more in Aus than the low end in the UK.

I've seen Expats on these boards talking about getting Au Pairs like they had back in the UK, balk at the idea of having to pay them 21 bucks per hour as per the Aus minimum wage.

They do have Industrial electricians in London you know
Old Feb 7th 2016, 12:12 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

That may be true.... however the Majority of the population are far better served by the Aus employment systems.

Barwork and all hospitality work pays a hell of lot more in Aus than the UK. It's a completely different ball game here. The incomes are far more evenly spread in Aus amongst most of the working population. The low end pays far more in Aus than the low end in the UK.

I've seen Expats on these boards talking about getting Au Pairs like they had back in the UK, balk at the idea of having to pay them 21 bucks per hour as per the Aus minimum wage.

They do have Industrial electricians in London you know
I was thinking just the other day how true this egalatarian thing is. When I used to go to a typical party or gathering in London it wasn't unusual for there to be a 10-fold difference in what people were earning (say less than £20,000 to £200,000+). That just wouldn't happen here - you'd be lucky if there was one person earning two or three times as much as someone else.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DC10
I was thinking just the other day how true this egalatarian thing is. When I used to go to a typical party or gathering in London it wasn't unusual for there to be a 10-fold difference in what people were earning (say less than £20,000 to £200,000+). That just wouldn't happen here - you'd be lucky if there was one person earning two or three times as much as someone else.
People tend to scoff at Egalitarian Australia, and for other, good reasons, (they tend to conflate it with class or snobbery), but there is something in the notion that many Australians share the life of others..

There is some truth in that the plumber hangs around with the lawyer or shares same interests...blah blah egalitarian is social values, interests and attitudes, not just education, class or money..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Feb 7th 2016 at 2:35 am.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That may be true.... however the Majority of the population are far better served by the Aus employment systems. Barwork and all hospitality work pays a hell of lot more in Aus than the UK. It's a completely different ball game here. The incomes are far more evenly spread in Aus amongst most of the working population. The low end pays far more in Aus than the low end in the UK. I've seen Expats on these boards talking about getting Au Pairs like they had back in the UK, balk at the idea of having to pay them 21 bucks per hour as per the Aus minimum wage. They do have Industrial electricians in London you know
Australia is also heading in the same direction as the UK or US that the rich are getting richer and there are other problems. If the minimum wage is too high, how are you supposed to compete? Unless salaries drop, there will be plenty of job losses in Australia and this will also affect the housing market.

You need to find the balance.