Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Housing definitely on the up!

Cost of Housing definitely on the up!

Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough
Default Cost of Housing definitely on the up!

Just did a quick calculation over the past 30 years of average yearly salaries compared to median house prices and here are the results:

The figure represents the cost of a house compared to the annual salary, so for 1975 the average house was 2.9 times the average salary, if you could get a mortgage for 3.5 times your salary you'd have no problems. But now in 2005.... well.

1975 2.9
1980 2.6
1985 3.0
1990 4.0
1995 4.3
2000 4.1
2001 4.1
2002 4.5
2003 5.2
2005 7.2

How will our kids afford housing in the future!

Phil
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:57 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Cost of Housing definitely on the up!

Originally Posted by Phil-UK
Just did a quick calculation over the past 30 years of average yearly salaries compared to median house prices and here are the results:

The figure represents the cost of a house compared to the annual salary, so for 1975 the average house was 2.9 times the average salary, if you could get a mortgage for 3.5 times your salary you'd have no problems. But now in 2005.... well.

1975 2.9
1980 2.6
1985 3.0
1990 4.0
1995 4.3
2000 4.1
2001 4.1
2002 4.5
2003 5.2
2005 7.2

Phil
They will borrow from us!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:34 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of Housing definitely on the up!

1975 2.9
1980 2.6
1985 3.0
1990 4.0
1995 4.3
2000 4.1
2001 4.1
2002 4.5
2003 5.2
2005 7.2

Phil
Its known as mortgaging our future. They've already used up the tax they take from the money we earn. So we have rely on the next generation to earn money to pay taxes to pay our pensions.

Now they rely on us to pay for our kids to afford a house.

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Its like the governments have got a great big credit card, borrow now, next generation pay later.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

mercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the roughmercador is a jewel in the rough

2005 7.2
This line explains why many people on this forum can't sell their house for what they think it is 'worth'.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Back in the 70's when I was a child most women didn't work after having kids (certainly I don't remeber any of my friends mums working until their youngest child was at least 14) but now my friends have kids most the women want to return to work (and they don't need to for the money) that means that the average houshold for my generation compared to my parents generation has 2 average incomes rather than 1.

Also I remember my parents opening a building society account when I was a baby so I would have a record with them which would help me get a mortgage, now you don't need to have an account with your mortgage provider. It would also be interesting to compare mortgage interest rates over the period as that cuold make a big difference on the cost of servicing a mortgage.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:00 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

to take one statistic can be misleading -
Another stat being that as interest rates are much lower than, say, 15yrs ago the proportion of a persons salary paying out for the mortgage is lower (if not the same).
But then you have other stats showing more people are living by themselves thus more housing needed for all the single dwellers, having affect on price.
Then you have the average age people buying their first property increasing - many reasons for this - higher cost of housing, wider credit card use & debts, university debts increasing.

It was a stat like the one you stated but for our area saying that it was one of the highest in the country and there was bound to be a crash - not much increase, but certainly no crash. It did surprise me that we had first time buyers looking at our place, wondering how they could afford it. Well actually one couldn't, we rejected her offers, but don't worry we have SSTC to some one else.
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:12 pm
Finding a way out........

uktruckie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by walaj
to take one statistic can be misleading -
I used to study Statistics and loved it.

I remember being told there are statistics and there are damn lies.

All companies use stats in different ways, mostly to show the good not the bad.

I'm glad to know the housing market is going up, our house is been on the market for a couple of months and not much interst.

Will try another estate agent next year
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Are these figures based on UK or Aus prices?
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uktruckie

I remember being told there are statistics and there are damn lies.
I think the saying is there are "lies, damn lies and statistics" and I would certainly agree you can prove anything you want to show with statistics you just have to use the right statistics .
Old Nov 17th 2005, 3:58 pm
Finding a way out........

uktruckie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spottydog
I think the saying is there are "lies, damn lies and statistics" and I would certainly agree you can prove anything you want to show with statistics you just have to use the right statistics .
Your right..............thanks "lies, damn lies and statistics"
Old Nov 17th 2005, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uktruckie
I failed stats twice - just couldn't get my head around it

Last edited by Shellfish; Nov 17th 2005 at 11:24 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by manxfamily
Are these figures based on UK or Aus prices?
Most of these stats were taken from ABC Diamonds excellent website and are for Oz house prices. ABC provides on his website the median house price and on another link the average annual salaries, I just worked out the figures based on those two figures.
Old Nov 18th 2005, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

That means they'll never leave home...............................ARRRGH!
Old Nov 18th 2005, 10:41 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I failed stats twice - just couldn't get my head around it
Yeah but what's the probability of that?