Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Housing compared to wages

Cost of Housing compared to wages

Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:02 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Cost of Housing compared to wages

November 2009 figures from ABS, for Tasmania.

Average loan size for New First home buyer Mortgages = $189,800
Adult Male Total Weekly Gross Earnings = $59,608 per year.

Mortgage to Wage multiple = 3.18 for Tasmania or 2.22 if a partner is also working part time (50% of full time income)

Northern Territory is the other extreme with 3.31 or 4.63 multiples.

Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of Housing compared to wages

Meanwhile in the parallel universe of Melbourne, houses tend to be around the $500,000 mark and I'd say that the mean wage isn't that much different from that in Tasmania.

A pokey (sorry cosy using agentspeak) 1 bed flat on the outskirts around $200,000
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:23 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's pretty low for Australia. I wonder what they are buying?

I've been looking at what I can get with a $250k mortgage (+44k deposit = $294k) around Adelaide South for a family of 4 in a good area, and I've yet to be impressed (i.e. everything we have looked at needed a lot of money thrown at it before we'd be happy - like replacing the 20yr old kitchen ).

We are now holding off, and saving all we can so we can afford somewhere that is similar to the cheap rental we are in (or near as good as the house we left in the UK) - crazy .

Of course, house prices are still increasing at a phenomenal rate here (around 20% annually!!) and though I'm earning way more than $2 for every £1 I was earning in the UK (and I thought I was well paid there ), I now realise I need to be earning a lot more! .

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 13th 2010 at 12:29 am.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:36 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Mortgage to Wage multiple = 3.18 for Tasmania or 2.22 if a partner is also working part time (50% of full time income)

Does the average first home buyer, earn the average adult male weelky gross earnings? If not, these multiples are fairly meaningless.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:44 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bcworld
Does the average first home buyer, earn the average adult male weelky gross earnings? If not, these multiples are fairly meaningless.
from a (skilled) migrant point of view you should be earning way more than the stated average wage anyhow, so I think ABC is right to make the statement in reference.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Meanwhile in the parallel universe of Melbourne, houses tend to be around the $500,000 mark and I'd say that the mean wage isn't that much different from that in Tasmania.

A pokey (sorry cosy using agentspeak) 1 bed flat on the outskirts around $200,000
And a 1bed room apartment in South Yarra advertised with a price range $380k-$450k was sold for $675k. Madness
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coolshadows
from a (skilled) migrant point of view you should be earning way more than the stated average wage anyhow, so I think ABC is right to make the statement in reference.
Only if you are also a first home buyer.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:51 am
Pie Eater

Originally Posted by IndieG
And a 1bed room apartment in South Yarra advertised with a price range $380k-$450k was sold for $675k. Madness

yep, it's 'what you get for your money' that concerns me. Especially when compared to rentals.

It feels like the property market is purely built on speculation, rather than any real value for money.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:52 am
Pie Eater

Only if you are also a first home buyer.
aren't most (skilled) migrants?
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty low for Australia. I wonder what they are buying?
I've wondered that. That the average mortgage is lower than you might expect. I am forced to concede that people always have more money to put down on a house than you realise - they've inherited it, they've been down the mines, or in Europe amassing a deposit - they've moved up the property ladder a step at a time starting 15+ years ago etc....
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by IndieG
There is nothing rational about the property market in Melbourne at the moment that's for sure.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

aren't most (skilled) migrants?
Buying their first Australian home yes, but most seem to bring equity from a previous house sale with them...that's why there are threads thousands of posts long with people agonising over the exchange rate.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 12:58 am
Pie Eater

Buying their first Australianmost seem to bring equity from a previous house sale with them.
IF they manage to sell, and IF they have any equity left.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:04 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

yep, it's 'what you get for your money' that concerns me. Especially when compared to rentals.

It feels like the property market is purely built on speculation, rather than any real value for money.
So-called "negative gearing", which allows an investor to offset a passive income loss (eg a rental loss) against earned income, is almost unique to the Australian tax system these days.

It rewards those who take on high levels of debt to fund investment, and penalizes those who take a more conservative/responsible approach to their finances.

It is clear that the existence of negative gearing - compared to a situation where negative gearing did not exist - means lower rentals, but higher purchase prices.

Unlikely that this will change unless there is a real tax reform, ie one that could bring income tax rates down substantially, like what happened in the United States in 1986 (which substantially ended negative gearing in the US).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1986
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, it's such good value for money in Aus and cheap relative to income, people are dropping out of the housing market like flies. So your income multiples must be flawed somehow?

From today's Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/pr...0412-s47w.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.