Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of household goods

Cost of household goods

Old Feb 20th 2003, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of
Default Cost of household goods

Hi guys,
As the almighty pound is currently plummiting to the floor,
do the wise folk in oz think it would be cheaper for us to buy
new household items(computer,multiband tv, etc) in the uk and have them shipped over ???
eg:uk 220mhz Pentium 4 with 160 Gb hard drive & 256mb memory @£700 x $AU 2.68 = $AU1876 ?????
What would a good equivalent p4 be over there ???
What with the rise in the cost of oz houses and the falling pound,looks like we might have to get a shack in the outback somewhere!!!
Any suggestions?
CUL8TR

Dave & Yve
Old Feb 20th 2003, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of household goods

I've looked at graphs and if there is an annual trend with the exchange rate, it seems to improve in September!!! (I'm sure this will raise an argument)

We are having the same thoughts as you, wondering whether to by a new widescreen tv and all the trimmings here or there.

No idea really.
Mash...

Originally posted by abergas
Hi guys,
new household items(computer,multiband tv, etc) in the uk and have them shipped over ???
eg:uk 220mhz Pentium 4 with 160 Gb hard drive & 256mb memory @£700 x $AU 2.68 = $AU1876 ?????
What with the rise in the cost of oz houses and the falling pound,looks like we might have to get a shack in the outback somewhere!!!
Any suggestions?
CUL8TR

Dave & Yve
Old Feb 20th 2003, 11:35 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by abergas
Hi guys,
Any suggestions?
CUL8TR

Dave & Yve
If it helps we just bought a pc here fitting that description and cost us $1,800. No difference really. I have found electrical goods here cost about the same as in the UK (which of course means about double relative to income, but thats another issue). I would'nt bother if I was you - wait till you get here.
Old Feb 21st 2003, 8:58 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Herman
If it helps we just bought a pc here fitting that description and cost us $1,800. No difference really. I have found electrical goods here cost about the same as in the UK (which of course means about double relative to income, but thats another issue). I would'nt bother if I was you - wait till you get here.

The australaian government foms advise that any items for the home that are not at last one year old have to be itemised priced and then they will charge you import duty or the like. You will find it difficult to win on the £ against $ stakes but is it worth taking the risk
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Thanks for the help guys,- think we'll leave it till we get there
Old Feb 25th 2003, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I've just bought a second hand sooper dooper computer for $450 here. (Our one died on he journey over). For the other things, we bought a new fridge freezer 400 ltr for $780 and a flatscreen tv for $570. (not a massive one but big enough). There is a company in Perth called the Good Guys where you get discount for Cash and if you find the Sales Assistant called William he forgets what price he tells you and ends up chrging you less!!

All the best
Diane
Old Feb 25th 2003, 8:24 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by DianeOZ
I've just bought a second hand sooper dooper computer for $450 here. (Our one died on he journey over). For the other things, we bought a new fridge freezer 400 ltr for $780 and a flatscreen tv for $570. (not a massive one but big enough). There is a company in Perth called the Good Guys where you get discount for Cash and if you find the Sales Assistant called William he forgets what price he tells you and ends up chrging you less!!

All the best
Diane

www.goodguys.com.au

They are throughout australia