Reload this Page >

Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Wikiposts

Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by cresta57
What's the deal with scrip. safety specs here? I've been promising Debs a pair for ages as she uses the angle grinder a lot for cutting tiles and finds the goggles squash her normal glasses painfully against her face.
None of the net sites I've looked at show any.
Does this link help ?
http://www.msrx.com.au/

Old Jun 12th 2005, 1:42 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
What's the deal with scrip. safety specs here? I've been promising Debs a pair for ages as she uses the angle grinder a lot for cutting tiles and finds the goggles squash her normal glasses painfully against her face.
None of the net sites I've looked at show any.
Cresta,

Knew a bloke once that did scuba diving and had a several pairs of specially made face masks that had normal lenses built in but I think it cost him a bomb. Your Optician should be able to tell you how to get on to them.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 3:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.budgeteyewear.com.au/main.html is supposed to be a cheaper chain of optometrists.
Old Jun 12th 2005, 9:00 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Talking Re: Cost of glasses in UK vs Oz

Originally Posted by Kevhaze
Childrens' glasses are free if they have the National Health ones, which aren't as bad as you would expect :scared:

My daughter, however, didn't want the National Health ones and decided on the designer ones, (Red or Dead) and these only cost me £40.

Childrens eye tests are free.

Thanks everyone for your comments, I will get mine at Specsavers before moving to Oz.

Hazel
While we are in danger of sounding like that awful advert - you "SHOULD'VE GONE TO SPECSAVERS" for your daughter's glasses too - they have a huge range of children's frames (far more than we found anywhere else) and they are ALL free.... not just NHS styles like other opticians. If, like mine, your daughter is adult sized, they simply apply the voucher to adult glasses - so they have the choice of the entire shop and you just have to pay the difference between the voucher and the final price. My daughter got some groovy designer ones and we paid £27.00!!
Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:49 am
blossom

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Get them in the UK. Definitely.
One free eye test a year with Medicare, and they don't care if you work with VDUs - I use one all day for the Govt and they laughed when I suggested help with glasses!
I never wore glasses in the UK, but am assured they are dirt cheap compared to here. I have something called graduated lenses, with the cheapest possible frames; paid $500 !!! Ouch! And when I suggested sunglasses the optician said if I had to ask the price, to forget having them.
I have to whinge about that - they tell you never to go out in the sun here without eye protection, but prescription sunnies are v v expensive! I have had to virtually give up marshalling at motor races - need sun protection for one thing, and secondly if I break the ordinary ones running onto the track, I can't afford to replace them at $500 a go. Wearing ordinary sunnies proved useless - my vision isn;t clear enough by the end of a long day.

If you can round up some two-for-one offers in the UK, make sure you come equipped.
I have a question in return - being new to glasses - when I come over in October on holiday, what will it cost me for an eye test over there? I would be looking at Boots or somewhere with a two-for-one. to get some sunnies if possible. Still have my NHS card if that helps!!

Our local ASDA store now has an optical shop and they charge £10 for an eye test which is more thorough than when I had eye tests at Specsavers. Also, remember you don't have to buy your glasses from wherever you get your eye test done, just ask them for your prescription and take it to a shop that has the frames you like at the right price!

I bought mine off ebay, as I was fed up with Specsaver frames continually breaking - got a really snazzy pair for £60 and the lenses cost me £60 (I have to have bifocals) so for £120 got a really good pair of specs they didn't make any additional charges for putting lenses into my own frames, Specsavers wanted an additional £39 plus £85 for the lenses. Visionexpress wanted £110 for lenses and £85 for putting lenses into my own frames so ASDA are the winners by far for me - I'm well happy. Employer pays for the eye test.

Have to agree, specs are cheaper here than Oz.

Blossom

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

I bought my glasses from OPSM cost around $350 for frames and lenses, which is the equivalent of what I would have expected to pay in the UK.

Katie
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
With Private medical care eye tests and glases are pretty much free over here POlly.

However whilst in the UK go for it, an eye test si about 26 quid but can be free on the right day ( just look fot eh signoutside the optitions) ans see how it goes.

Kala
I paid £24 for a test on Saturday at a local optician. It was the most thorough eye test I have ever had. I would avoid doing it at Specsavers, Boots etc, as I don't think they do a proper job. I'm planning on getting glasses in Singapore.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 11:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I paid £24 for a test on Saturday at a local optician. It was the most thorough eye test I have ever had.
Eye tests seem very thorough here aswell, I think they last about 30 minutes ? (I didn't time the last one, but it felt like that, (or longer) And it's free

From the replies on here, it seems that it could be cheaper in either country, just depending on the shop you buy the glasses in. Obviously "local" experience in knowing where to go helps