Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The cost of 'E's.

The cost of 'E's.

Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:26 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The cost of 'E's.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Actual quote from the article I read: One in five young men admit they are '"ripped" on marijuana, speed, cocaine or ecstasy when they get behind the wheel of a car.

Young was defined as men aged 18-34.

Wonder how many didnt admit it

Anyway the good news is 86% of queenslanders agree there should be random drug testing and NSW plans to introduce drug testing next year with a saliva test, lets hope all other states follow soon. That would make the roads a lot safer than the police spending their time hiding behind wheelie bins booking those doing 3klm an hour over the limit.
NSW is bringing in a random drugs test for a trial period of a year. Initially there will be a 24 hour ban however after the year is up other sentences are planned. Police will target dance clubbers and truckies.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
Yes, sadly, there's stacks of the stuff everywhere, it seems. I couldn't believe how much of it there was (along with cocaine) being used quite openly round the City of London when I was working there. Am about to start work in the Melbourne CBD, so will report later on how it compares to the UK drugwise.

Luckily, my own personal 'poison' is the Vodka - perfectly legal and very easy to get hold of, thank God!

Anya.
Having worked in both Melbourne and Sydney CBDs, I can assure you that drugs are freely available.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 7:06 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Having worked in both Melbourne and Sydney CBDs, I can assure you that drugs are freely available.
City types everywhere seem to snort the coke. Was amazed when in Singapore to find the stuff freely available amongst the banking types that I stayed with.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:26 am
Banned

sado is an unknown quantity at this point

have to say though , i smoked some of the best weed ever in oz
Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Drugs are a worldwide problem - you will never escape them.

In my opinion you have to bring your kids up well to know what is right and wrong, warn them of the dangers of the bad stuff, and give them enough confidence to 'no' even in a peer pressure situation.
Old Nov 17th 2004, 11:49 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

The identity of the first human being to take MDMA/Ecstasy isn't known. The drug first gained prominence only in the late 1970s. Tipped off by Merrie Kleinman, a graduate student in the medicinal chemistry group he advised at San Francisco State University, the legendary Californian psychedelic chemist Alexander ("Sasha") Shulgin synthesized and taste-tested MDMA at incrementally ascending doses. Ironically, Dr Shulgin had himself synthesized MDMA in 1965, but hadn't tried it, an error of omission he later did much to repair. The effects of a 120mg dose of MDMA are recorded in Dr Shulgin's lab-notes (Sept 1976):

"I feel absolutely clean inside, and there is nothing but pure euphoria. I have never felt so great or believed this to be possible. The cleanliness, clarity, and marvelous feeling of solid inner strength continued throughout the rest of the day and evening. I am overcome by the profundity of the experience..."

Kids will experiment with altered / expanded states of conciousness what ever you do - from running around and screaming 'til they go silly to making themselves dizzy to sniffing petrol or gas to sampling your port to smoking your cigars to slurping your cough syrup to trying your sleeping pills to pot to magic mushrooms to peyote to MDMA to LSD to cocain. The more you rail, the more they will rebel. To be inquisitive about conciousness is natural and healthy. To be immoderate is not.

Parents should provide guidance not drug illiteracy?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 3:15 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Parents should provide guidance not drug illiteracy?
Yes.

Btw, people: warning!

A friend of a friend (!) had er drink spiked with probably liquid ecstasy on the weekend while going out in Northbridge, Perth.
She was sick for hours, and was put on a drip in hospital to get fluids back.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Yes.

Btw, people: warning!

A friend of a friend (!) had er drink spiked with probably liquid ecstasy on the weekend while going out in Northbridge, Perth.
She was sick for hours, and was put on a drip in hospital to get fluids back.
a couple of guys got charged with this in Sydney earlier this week too (spiking women's drinks and then sexually attacking them).

Hope your friend recovers OK

I also read this week that 1 in 6 Australians in the 15-24 age group die from alcohol-related causes. Quite a shocking statistic really.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:07 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
a couple of guys got charged with this in Sydney earlier this week too (spiking women's drinks and then sexually attacking them).

Hope your friend recovers OK

I also read this week that 1 in 6 Australians in the 15-24 age group die from alcohol-related causes. Quite a shocking statistic really.
Might be best to quote your source - sounds like a typo or innumerate journo.

"Although the death rate in 2000 among teenagers (43 per 100,000) was low compared with the total population (670 per 100,000), this still represented 804 teenage deaths in that year. Of those deaths, over two-thirds were older teenagers (aged 17-19 years) and 69% were male, again reflecting in part the male predilection to risk taking behaviour. Accidents were by far the most common cause of death among teenagers, particularly for males. In 2000, accidents accounted for 50% of deaths among younger male teenagers (aged 13-16 years) and 51% of deaths among older male teenagers (aged 17-19 years). Among female teenagers, accidents accounted for 39% of deaths among younger teenagers and 45% among older teenagers."

Selected risks faced by teenagers - Australian Bureau of Statistics
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This is one of the things I find strange about this whole debate.

The most dangerous drug we have available is alcohol (and Nicotine). It causes more death and destruction by far than any of the others.
Why do we have this blind spot?

Reading through the threads this morning :

Good news = get pissed. Have a drink.

Bored=get pissed,have a drink

bad news=get pissed have a drink

We even have a smilie for it

This is the real danger. :scared:

G
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Might be best to quote your source - sounds like a typo or innumerate journo.

"Although the death rate in 2000 among teenagers (43 per 100,000) was low compared with the total population (670 per 100,000), this still represented 804 teenage deaths in that year. Of those deaths, over two-thirds were older teenagers (aged 17-19 years) and 69% were male, again reflecting in part the male predilection to risk taking behaviour. Accidents were by far the most common cause of death among teenagers, particularly for males. In 2000, accidents accounted for 50% of deaths among younger male teenagers (aged 13-16 years) and 51% of deaths among older male teenagers (aged 17-19 years). Among female teenagers, accidents accounted for 39% of deaths among younger teenagers and 45% among older teenagers."
[/URL]
Source? Statistics supplied by the NDRI - National Drugs Research Unit

Story was in this week's papers:
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=2233470
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:38 am
Banned

Source? Statistics supplied by the NDRI - National Drugs Research Unit

Story was in this week's papers:
http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/st...toryid=2233470
"ALMOST one in six deaths amongst young Australians can be attributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol, research by the National Drug Research Institute (NDRI) has revealed."

"In figures released today, the study shows that 2,643 people aged between 15 and 24 died from alcohol-attributable injury and disease between 1993 and 2002 – around 15 per cent of all deaths in the age group."

You wrote:
So 1 in 6 of the deaths as against 1 in 6 die.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

"ALMOST one in six deaths amongst young Australians can be attributed to the irresponsible consumption of alcohol, research by the National Drug Research Institute (NDRI) has revealed."

"In figures released today, the study shows that 2,643 people aged between 15 and 24 died from alcohol-attributable injury and disease between 1993 and 2002 – around 15 per cent of all deaths in the age group."

You wrote:

So 1 in 6 of the deaths as against 1 in 6 die.
oops! yes, that's what I had intended to convey - For all deaths in the 15-24 age group, 1 in 6 is alcohol-related. .
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:38 pm
Flatwhite

Originally Posted by sado
have to say though , i smoked some of the best weed ever in oz
Well that explains a lot Shaun! Please remember to roll it in some paper next time or it will damage your other brain cell as well.