Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cost of Cars - Worth Importing?

Cost of Cars - Worth Importing?

Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

KandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really nice
Default Cost of Cars - Worth Importing?

Having a look at the cost of used cars in australia (especially european ones) is it worth buying a good second hand motor in the UK and getting shipped across? I think a good audi or bmw that you could buy for £20K ish in the UK would be about £30K - £35K in australia (taking into account the poor exchange rate). Anybody got any rough ideas on shipping, duty or any hidden costs?

Its just an idea at the minute
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of Cars - Worth Importing?

I am shipping my bmw over as its worth about $90000 over there shipping cost and duty charges are about 6k all in so worth it for me to do so. The problem you may have if you dont already have the car is you must own it for 12ths or more to export it over Paperwork for the export cert is a pain in the ass they need so much info bank details visa type ect but worth it if the car is worth more over there
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KandR
Having a look at the cost of used cars in australia (especially european ones) is it worth buying a good second hand motor in the UK and getting shipped across? I think a good audi or bmw that you could buy for £20K ish in the UK would be about £30K - £35K in australia (taking into account the poor exchange rate). Anybody got any rough ideas on shipping, duty or any hidden costs?

Simple answer ... usually no. Search for posts by BigApe who covered this expertly some time back.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by KandR

Knowing what I know now......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABSOLUTELY-SUP...item230f2e09bb
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:13 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

A British complianced Car is no way near worth the same out in Australia even if it's the same make, model and year.

Generally the answer is no, It's not worth it. If it was worth it then everyone here would be importing cars to make money.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really niceRobbie37Michelle32 is just really nice

Well with the current costs of buying a car in Australia some cars are worth bring over, All Bmw come from the same factory so i dont see what the difference is between a Uk spec and a Oz spec car if someone would tell me that would be great
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bradfordlad

Knowing what I know now...

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/...seot=1&__N=834 1216 1247 1252 1282 4294963638 4294963765 1557 4294931292&silo=1011
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Worth in UK money £65 625
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Robbie37Michelle32
Worth in UK money £65 625
Knowing what I know now...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ABSOLUTELY-SUP...item230f2e09bb
Old Mar 28th 2011, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

KandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really niceKandR is just really nice

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking of buying a a BMW coupe to take across, but the owning it for a year bit would probably catch me out. I would have to buy now (when i don't really need one). Will probably just have to adjust my aspirations car wise if (hopefully when) we get across. Looks like hondas, toyotas and the local gm and fords are not too badly priced?
Old Mar 28th 2011, 9:12 pm
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on the value of your car in each country and what it's worth to you in terms of reliability, sentimental attachment etc.

I have imported two cars to Australia, one when I first moved here ( Mazda RX7 series 5 in 1994) and two years ago a Lotus Esprit. In both cases importing worked out very well for me. The Mazda I had owned for 3 years in the UK and then a further 4 years in Australia and was a 'personal import'. When I sold it, the price I got was more than I paid for it 7 years before in England.

The Lotus was imported under the pre-89 vehicle scheme in 2009, and cost me UK7000 pounds. Importing costs were UK3500 pounds including taxes, duty etc.. The exchange rate at the time meant the car's total cost was just under AU$21,000 on the road. It is currently insured at an agreed value of AU$32,000. A similar condition Australian Esprit would have cost me well over AU$30k so it was well worth the effort importing it.

Both of these cars had been well cared for, no rust, great condition and low mileage. If you research the market and import a car which can hold it's value here, then it's worth while. I am sure there are horror stories too, but I would certianly do it again if the right car came up.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Luxury European cars and sports cars (think Lamborghini, Ferrari etc) are worth bringing in as they are a rip off here. Even high end Beemers and Audis can be worth it as well.

Anything else is not worth the hassle.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
It really depends on the value of your car in each country and what it's worth to you in terms of reliability, sentimental attachment etc.

I have imported two cars to Australia, one when I first moved here ( Mazda RX7 series 5 in 1994) and two years ago a Lotus Esprit. In both cases importing worked out very well for me. The Mazda I had owned for 3 years in the UK and then a further 4 years in Australia and was a 'personal import'. When I sold it, the price I got was more than I paid for it 7 years before in England.

The Lotus was imported under the pre-89 vehicle scheme in 2009, and cost me UK7000 pounds. Importing costs were UK3500 pounds including taxes, duty etc.. The exchange rate at the time meant the car's total cost was just under AU$21,000 on the road. It is currently insured at an agreed value of AU$32,000. A similar condition Australian Esprit would have cost me well over AU$30k so it was well worth the effort importing it.

Both of these cars had been well cared for, no rust, great condition and low mileage. If you research the market and import a car which can hold it's value here, then it's worth while. I am sure there are horror stories too, but I would certianly do it again if the right car came up.
The rules have changed now and you can only import one car (personal import) every five years.

I imported my car and it was worth it.
Old Mar 29th 2011, 12:08 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great story - I was looking at doing the same with a pre-89 Lotus Esprit myself. I have taken heart in your story and am now thinking about it again.

Did you go for the white Roger Moore 'Spy Who Loved Me' model?

S
Old Mar 29th 2011, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Nice post, good info mate. I assume there is no way around the "owning for 1 year" issue?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.