Reload this Page >

Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

Cost of 20' container Shipped to OZ

Old Dec 12th 2003, 11:33 am
Just Joined

vanriet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: bout 'alf I'd say innit!

Originally posted by piers_morgan
I reckon that would be a 10' container...but not sure....

Another question I have at this late hour - is it possible to share a container? We're just planning to take our suitcases on the flight and then ship the few possessions we have later....but have been thinking if there are containers going to Oz with space then would it theoretically be possible to put items in there too? Of course you'd pay your fair share, but not sure if it's legal or whether customs would be happy with that? You'd also have to show the other emigres that you're not moving an assignment of WMD or AK47s!!!

Off to now
Hi! We are sharing a container as we don't have enough stuff to fill one - basically if you use a shipping company that's quite busy they should easily find someone else to share with. I go quotes from John Mason, Anglo Pacific and PSS International - For about 170 cubic feet they all quoted approx the same i.e. £950 plus between 2.5 and 3% insurance (depending on the company) plus 5% of the premium for insurance premium tax. If your stuff arrives before you're quite ready for it, they all offer storage facilities. PSS charges a one off AUD 25.00 fee and the first 4 weeks free, then AUD 22 per week. Anglo Pacific charges AUD 144 for the first month then AUD 64 per month. All prices exclusive of GST and also remember you will need to extend your insurence (appx 0.30% per month). Above prices include packing. Once everything arrives in their warehouse, they remeasure the volume and revise the quote up or downwards depending on whether you got more or less than was planned - I was warned agaist this as a ploy by removal companies to make you pay more than planned but they all seem to do this.

Hope this helps

annemarie
Old Dec 12th 2003, 2:03 pm
Purveyor of Beaches

DavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura aboutDavidT has a spectacular aura about

Pickfords will price match, I think they will have to, quite thorough though. Said the difference between filling the container or 1/2 filling it is only around £600 so it could be to take everything & maybe buy a few things extra in the sales. Any suggestions as to what is worth considering, an extra toaster, fridge whatever