Coppers

Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:39 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Coppers

British cops fit bill for skills shortage

TAKE a big pay cut, learn to carry a gun and stop saying "you're nicked, Sunshine".

This might not have been exactly how South Australian police began to train their new "cadets" yesterday, but it will be the reality for 82 male and female former members of the British constabulary who have joined the state's police force after an extensive recruiting campaign.
"I haven't been called Guv' yet," joked one, referring to the usual nickname for police chiefs in British TV dramas.

The former bobbies on the beat were enthusiastic about starting a new life and career, even if many are losing pay and seniority to do so.

Michael Tuckerman was a detective-sergeant in the Central Scotland Police, based in Stirling. Now the 17-year veteran has jumped at the chance of a career on the other side of the world.

"I'm really excited about putting a uniform back on, and I'm really, really excited about getting in a patrol car and meeting the locals," he said.

Tuckerman has gone from veteran to cadet, and when he graduates, his work as a probationary constable will pay just over $33,000 compared with his old salary, which was equivalent to more than $100,000.

So why has he done it?

"Look at what you have got to offer," he said.

"Everybody is so friendly, it's such a relaxed pace. Very, very Mediterranean. I want my children to grow up here, I want my kids' kids to grow up here, I want to grow old here, it's just a beautiful state."

The recruits are confident that policing in South Australia will not be much different from the job they were doing in England, Scotland and Wales, even if British police don't carry guns like their Australian counterparts.

They have already been made welcome in Adelaide - one moved into an unfurnished unit near the Fort Largs police academy in Adelaide's northwest, only for locals to furnish the flat for him.

There has been criticism of the state Government for looking overseas to fill gaps, but Police Minister Kevin Foley and Commissioner Mal Hyde defended the move.

"What it's saying is we have the strongest economy this state has ever seen, we have skills shortages, and we have people coming from interstate and overseas in any workplace in our state - the public service is no different," Mr Foley said.

Mr Hyde said he would prefer to take more recruits from South Australia, but the skills shortage dictated otherwise. "I would rather have overseas recruits than none at all," he said.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Coppers

Originally Posted by Megalania
British cops fit bill for skills shortage

Tuckerman has gone from veteran to cadet, and when he graduates, his work as a probationary constable will pay just over $33,000.
Hey - I've already spotted one crime!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:08 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I thought one had to have citizenship to be a copper.....

Must vary from state to state I guess, depending on skills shortages, any takers on this one?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:13 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walla1
I thought one had to have citizenship to be a copper.....

Must vary from state to state I guess, depending on skills shortages, any takers on this one?
Believe NSW ask for PR.
So thats SA and NSW answered
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:19 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seang
Believe NSW ask for PR.
So thats SA and NSW answered
WA citizenship I think...