Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

convicted criminals

convicted criminals

Old Feb 10th 2004, 4:35 pm
earlswood

Originally posted by WBB
the convictions are all spent but as you know they all have to be disclosed in the application.

am i the only crim here or has anyone got any other examples of people who got in with a record?

Sorry WBB, can't help

I only got my first ever parking ticket last week and I'm contesting that!!

Sure there are more crims browsing here than you

You're just a big brave boy for admitting it

Old Feb 10th 2004, 5:02 pm
WBB

well i'm popping out for a few beers now, lets hope i dont get too drunk and start abusing anyone...the last thing i need is another conviction.

PS if i'm on here talking kak later you know why.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: convicted criminals

Originally posted by WBB
as i am the resident wrong do-er and worrying that my past sins may put a spanner in the works, i was wondering what kind of things you may know others (or yourself) have done and still got a visa.

Everyone keeps saying " it will be fine, don't worry" but I also have a few things in the closet which may crop up.
I have a drink drive and 2 theft convictions as (one when i was 16 and stupidly got roped into a petrol garage fiddle and the other for using a friends credit card) also another 2 charges which i was not convicted for. My migration agent stated the following

"This will certainly be something that DIMIA will look at closely and there is the possibility of a rejection because of the number of convictions and offences. In your favour is the fact that the convictions and offences took place a number of years ago and all appear to be relatively minor.

I would certainly suggest that you write a short account in regard to the offences and explain in your opinion why they occurred eg. were you going through a difficult period in your life, had you fallen in with a bad crowd etc? Also it might be advisable to confirm how your life has changed since then and mention that you have not committed any offences for a number of years, plus are happily married settled and if possible confirm anything else that demonstrates that you are not a respectable part of the community.

Finally it would be helpful if you could obtain any references confirming your good character eg. do you know anyone who can say that they have known you for a number of years and that they see that you play a positive role in the community. Preferably and if possible (but this may not be the case as not everyone has friends who are magistrates, doctors, etc) the reference should come from someone who is seen as a respectable figure in the community. "

Not exactly reassuring, but I will do as they suggest and keep my fingers crossed.

Dave
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:13 pm
WBB

Default Re: convicted criminals

Originally posted by jarv
Everyone keeps saying " it will be fine, don't worry" but I also have a few things in the closet which may crop up.
I have a drink drive and 2 theft convictions as (one when i was 16 and stupidly got roped into a petrol garage fiddle and the other for using a friends credit card) also another 2 charges which i was not convicted for. My migration agent stated the following

"This will certainly be something that DIMIA will look at closely and there is the possibility of a rejection because of the number of convictions and offences. In your favour is the fact that the convictions and offences took place a number of years ago and all appear to be relatively minor.

I would certainly suggest that you write a short account in regard to the offences and explain in your opinion why they occurred eg. were you going through a difficult period in your life, had you fallen in with a bad crowd etc? Also it might be advisable to confirm how your life has changed since then and mention that you have not committed any offences for a number of years, plus are happily married settled and if possible confirm anything else that demonstrates that you are not a respectable part of the community.

Finally it would be helpful if you could obtain any references confirming your good character eg. do you know anyone who can say that they have known you for a number of years and that they see that you play a positive role in the community. Preferably and if possible (but this may not be the case as not everyone has friends who are magistrates, doctors, etc) the reference should come from someone who is seen as a respectable figure in the community. "

Not exactly reassuring, but I will do as they suggest and keep my fingers crossed.

Dave
cheers for your reply, i have done all of the above, i had half a dozen references from friends (one of which is a copper) and the usual statements confirming that the crimes i committed were isolated incidents and out of character etc.

i am half expecting a visa refusal under section 501 but i will appeal any refusal and i am 90% confident that i would be accepted on appeal after looking at some of the cases on the appeals website.

like you say, fingers crossed.

Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya wbb
Perhaps they're taking a while for some other reason- e.g. you've got an inexperienced case officer? Or maybe they need to ring the person who did your character ref and can't get hold of them? Just a thought... Chill out matey...
Old Feb 10th 2004, 8:47 pm
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

hi wbb

My hubby had one conviction from when he was 21 for criminal damage- he got £125 fine and 100hours community service. I know that this is different to yours but we successfully received our spouse visa last year.

His convictions didn't show up on his police check but we declared them anyway.

Good luck and hope you hear soon

Sally
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I am almost certain WBBs past is causing the delay in processing. My thinking is that DIMIA would have a process for considering all those points that were posted before. My theory is they have a separate section that considers the WBBs of this world. Being DIMIA I doubt these cogs turn very quickly
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by WBB
it's all there mate, as i am ex military and had a discharge for misconduct i had to apply to CCRIO RMP for a military conduct certificate.

i was discharged from the army after a test came back positive for cannabis, i also have a car theft conviction and a burglary (non dwelling) from when i was 13.
They sound like stupid Kid stuff to me. After they read the References that will be they end of it. There not Daft Bill they can tell the difference your ok........
Old Feb 11th 2004, 2:53 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

...and to think 200 years ago they would have actually sent you here with free one way tickets