Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Converting qualifications

Converting qualifications

Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future
Question Converting qualifications

Hi people,

Anyone know what the equivalent over here would be for A-levels and then college courses after that??? I finished 6th form with 3 A-levels and then went on to do a diploma course at college. Obviously no-one out here in the sticks really knows what A-levels are and they keep asking me if I completed yr 11. I'm confused!!!!
Help me if you can please!!

PS - What was all the fuss about the Melbourne cup for?? There weren't even any fences - I think I offended a coupla blokes by mentioning that the Grand National was a lot tougher...

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:11 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm told that the equivalent of A levels is "Senior" level exams - mind you he left school a few years ago, so I hope that still applies!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Hmmm not heard of senior qualifications at all.

Even more confused now
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:45 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting qualifications

The Year 11 and Year 12 exams vary between the States. For example in VIC they're called VCE's (Victorian Certificate of Education).

Best regards.

Originally posted by annalooby
Hi people,

Anyone know what the equivalent over here would be for A-levels and then college courses after that??? I finished 6th form with 3 A-levels and then went on to do a diploma course at college. Obviously no-one out here in the sticks really knows what A-levels are and they keep asking me if I completed yr 11. I'm confused!!!!

PS - What was all the fuss about the Melbourne cup for?? There weren't even any fences - I think I offended a coupla blokes by mentioning that the Grand National was a lot tougher...

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

rrrright - but I'm in WA and how old are you at year 11 anyway!??!

Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:53 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I think you would be aged 17 at the end of Year 11.

Not sure what the equivalent of VCEs are called in WA ... maybe have a look here?
http://www.eddept.wa.edu.au/

Best regards.

rrrright - but I'm in WA and how old are you at year 11 anyway!??!

Old Nov 5th 2003, 6:43 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting qualifications

Hi people,

Hi
Are you planning to go to uni? like you our daughter has three A levels and has been excepted without any problem into uni. All the universities that she has applied to have been very helpful and she now has a place at Notre Dame in Freo.

Sarah