Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Convert UK gas BBQ to use Oz gas bottles ...

Convert UK gas BBQ to use Oz gas bottles ...

Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

highlander1478 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convert UK gas BBQ to use Oz gas bottles ...

We took our gas BBQ (Homebase) over from the UK as it has hardly been used, however I am having a difficulty finding a compatible regulator and hose.

The current hose on the BBQ has push on fittings secured with jubilee clips. I took the regulator and hose to Bunnings but they don't have any fittings or hoses which could join a new regulator to the push-on connectuion on my BBQ.

Has anyone else brought a gas BBQ over from the UK and got it working successfully here?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all
Default Re: Convert UK gas BBQ to use Oz gas bottles ...

hi my friend got one for his at the weekend

all you have to do is take your one off completely and get a new hose/ regulator with a 1/2 male thread on it and screw it into your bbq
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Ah, but my BBQ doesn't have a thread on it - it's a push-on fitting secured with jubilee clips
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

hi

the main part that goes into the bbq ?

if that is secured with a jubilee clip then i would just buy one with the hose and 1/2 male thread cut it off and secure it to your bbq with the jubilee clip . make sure it is the same thickness hose before cutting though
Old Dec 19th 2010, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Aha - that's a good idea!
Old Dec 21st 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Just make sure that if it burns your house down, you get rid of it before your insurance company gets a chance to examine it.

Don't want to put doubt in your mind, but it might very well void your policy.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phlanger
Just make sure that if it burns your house down, you get rid of it before your insurance company gets a chance to examine it.

bit of over kill there, me thinks

not going to burn your house down as they sell these with jubilee clips on
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Phlanger

I think they will be using it outside, not in the house
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:26 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Just one question......

are they the same fuel? I vaguely recall you could get butane and propane in the UK. One was the red cylinder, one blue?
They have very different calorific values so jets may also need changing if they don't match.
I might hava the wrong but FWIW I took my Aus BBQ to UK years and used it fine with a new hose.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Phlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant futurePhlanger has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve_kelly_and_boys
bit of over kill there, me thinks

not going to burn your house down as they sell these with jubilee clips on
It probably is overkill - I'm not suggesting there's any real danger - but a converted UK barbie with 'non factory installed' jubilee clips won't meet Australian standards, which will give an insurance compny an out if it causes damage.

The rather inconsistent Aussie approach to certification is hilarious really - when I went into Dick Smiths and bought a batch of plugs for my UK tools and appliances the lad behind the counter handed me a card when I paid. 'What's this?' I asked. 'It's the number of an electrician, He'll fit them for you'.

Poor little bugger nearly had a stroke when I told him I was going to do it myself. I've done it and it all works fine but I've no doubt that if my blender sets fire to my kitchen, the comminsure assessor won't he handing over the cheque without a fight.

I'm not suggesting for a moment the barbie will catch fire - the gas cooker in my kitchen back in the UK was connected to bottled gas via a rubber hose and a jubilee clip and it worked fine - I have no issues with diy plumbing and wiring, from a practical point of view.

My point is that in the event it isn't and whatever part of your house in proximity to it gets a bit scorched, it may have implications for your insurance, that's all. Those guys will look for any excuse not to pay out.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Just one question......

are they the same fuel? I vaguely recall you could get butane and propane in the UK. One was the red cylinder, one blue?
They have very different calorific values so jets may also need changing if they don't match.
I might hava the wrong but FWIW I took my Aus BBQ to UK years and used it fine with a new hose.
I thought this as well - you would need to change the burners also. Barbies are cheap here and massive, I would have though something from B&Q would be weedy compared to an Aussie backyard monster.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
I thought this as well - you would need to change the burners also. Barbies are cheap here and massive, I would have though something from B&Q would be weedy compared to an Aussie backyard monster.
The problem here as well is that Aussie bottle regulators are set at a different pressure than UK ones..Aussie ones are lower so the burners on the UK BBQ may not get enough pressure.

I know people on here have got the BBQ to work, but I just could not get our UK Patio Heater to fire. I even bought quite an expensive adjustable regulator, but it would still not go up to the pressure that we have in the UK. So the heater was bin'ed and a new one bought from Bunny's Whorehouse
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

Bought a hose and regulator kit from Bunnings (less than $30) and it's working fine now.

We only brought it over because it was new (well, used once) and cost around £200 so it seemed a shame to leave it.

Thanks for all the replies - will make sure it's far away from the house when it's on!