Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contributory parent visa medicare refund??

Contributory parent visa medicare refund??

Old Mar 21st 2014, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough
Default Contributory parent visa medicare refund??

Please help. My parents emigrated to Australia back in 2009. However after a few years in Oz they decided to return to the UK for good. In order to emigrate to Australia on a Contributory Parent Visa they had to pay something like $64,000 into Medicare. Is it possible to have some of this money refunded to them???? Can Medicare look into how much of that was used by my parents while in Australia and then refund them the difference? Obviously this is a huge amount of money and it was a very expensive mistake to make.

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, if not please can you point me in the right direction.

Many thanks for your help
Janine
Old Mar 21st 2014, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory parent visa medicare refund??

Unfortunately the large second VAC is non refundable.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:07 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The $64,000 question is a little ambiguous - was this the sum of the CPV PLUS the $10k and $4k bonds? If so (and like my own case) the $14k should be refunded after 10 years. (We are currently waiting for ours to come back)
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

No its the Medicare contribution. We know we can get the $14,000 back from Centre Link after 10 years, its the buying into Medicare bit they had to do for the visa. It was a long shot I didn't think they would be able to get a portion of it back, but I was hoping. I though it would be easy for Medicare to see exactly how much of that money was used, maybe deduct that and a same fee and then return the rest. I guess I was being hopeful lol.

Thanks guys
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ninijon
No its the Medicare contribution. We know we can get the $14,000 back from Centre Link after 10 years, its the buying into Medicare bit they had to do for the visa. It was a long shot I didn't think they would be able to get a portion of it back, but I was hoping. I though it would be easy for Medicare to see exactly how much of that money was used, maybe deduct that and a same fee and then return the rest. I guess I was being hopeful lol.

Thanks guys
Well it isn't specifically called a Medicare contribution, it is just a second visa application charge and visa application charges are not refundable because the applicant decides they don't like Australia.

It is certainly a cautionary tale, that parent visa is a massive investment and fact is Australia is not for everyone.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:23 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I tried repeatedly to find the page where it says what the CPV "contribution" is, and what it represents, but cannot locate it. Not surprising....
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 10:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I tried repeatedly to find the page where it says what the CPV "contribution" is, and what it represents, but cannot locate it. Not surprising....
The contribution is a visa application charge paid for faster processing of the visa - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx

Current costs are here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fe...rges/visa.aspx
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well it isn't specifically called a Medicare contribution, it is just a second visa application charge and visa application charges are not refundable because the applicant decides they don't like Australia.

It is certainly a cautionary tale, that parent visa is a massive investment and fact is Australia is not for everyone.
Thanks for all the comments, appreciate the information. My parents didn't decide they didn't like Australia, just for clarification. They moved to OZ to be with family, the family then relocated due to work and they were made homeless. Unable to afford the huge cost of living they returned. Yes it is a cautionary tale, that nothing in life is forever or certain. Some times you have to take risks and they don't always work out. I don't think they regret what they did. I just thought it would be worth exploring the chance of some of the money being returned. Never hurts to ask.

Thanks again everyone
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 2:58 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
The contribution is a visa application charge paid for faster processing of the visa - http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/143.aspx

Current costs are here - http://www.immi.gov.au/Help/Pages/fe...rges/visa.aspx
I've been looking at those pages but nowhere can I find the costs - only the *visa* application prices.
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 4:42 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I've been looking at those pages but nowhere can I find the costs - only the *visa* application prices.
What costs are you looking for other than visa application charges?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 5:47 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What costs are you looking for other than visa application charges?
We paid the $25,000 each on top of the application charges. I can't find the current amount anywhere.

Then there was the $14k bond....
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Wol
We paid the $25,000 each on top of the application charges. I can't find the current amount anywhere.

Then there was the $14k bond....
Did you look at the notes under the parent visas - the second application charge of the different visas is given there with varying amounts up to $43600
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:04 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Did you look at the notes under the parent visas - the second application charge of the different visas is given there with varying amounts up to $43600
No - too simple for me! Having scrolled down now, I see the costs and have lost the will to live. Aussies just LOVE to make everything complicated, don't they?
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Wol
No - too simple for me! Having scrolled down now, I see the costs and have lost the will to live. Aussies just LOVE to make everything complicated, don't they?
It's not the easiest to follow is it
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:18 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Aussies just LOVE to make everything complicated, don't they?
Not us ordinary Aussies Wol, just the bureaucrats Sends us troppo as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.