Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contributary Parent Visa

Contributary Parent Visa

Old Feb 20th 2005, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of
Default Contributary Parent Visa

I have contacted a couple of agents, including the one who handled my daughters visa application..and got varying results.
It seems the main drawback is the 2 year wait after our daughter apparently lands in Oz with her visa before we can apply and then it takes nearly anotheryear to process out application!
We have enough money to pay the contribution - but not enough to pay A$870k for the Retirement visa which would only take 4 - 6 months to process or so we have been told.

Is there anybody who can speak from experience on this or suggest any other options.

Arthur & Karen
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributary Parent Visa

Originally Posted by Vinny van Gogh
I have contacted a couple of agents, including the one who handled my daughters visa application..and got varying results.
It seems the main drawback is the 2 year wait after our daughter apparently lands in Oz with her visa before we can apply and then it takes nearly anotheryear to process out application!
We have enough money to pay the contribution - but not enough to pay A$870k for the Retirement visa which would only take 4 - 6 months to process or so we have been told.

Is there anybody who can speak from experience on this or suggest any other options.

Arthur & Karen
Contributory Parent is the usual route for parents to join children in Australia, as long as you meet the requirements.

Jeremy
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:16 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Arthur & Karen
My Parents obtained a Contributory Parent Visa at the end of last year, The process took just under 6 months and was relativley straight forward.
Do a search on here and you'll find various old threads which should provide usefull info and peoples experiences of applying/obtaining this type of visa.
Steve
Old Feb 21st 2005, 12:41 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Arthur and Karen.

Have you considered all of the options under the Retirement visa category:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/tempo...irement%20Visa

Note that for the lower amounts where one has children in Australia the child doesn't have to be "settled" (at least not in the same context as applies to the Parent visa categories).

If you'd like to talk through your situation and retirement visa options feel able to call my colleague Helen O'Hare on 023 80 488777.

Best regards.

Arthur & Karen
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Does anyone know what the medicals entail for a parent contributory visa? My mum is in great shape but my dad is less so (he recently had an operation for spinal arthritis and is much better now and does work but he is also on blood pressure medication). I am concerned that my dad's health will affect not only his chances but also my mums.

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2005, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Vinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud ofVinny van Gogh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Hello Arthur and Karen.

Have you considered all of the options under the Retirement visa category:
http://www.gomatilda.com/visas/tempo...irement%20Visa

Note that for the lower amounts where one has children in Australia the child doesn't have to be "settled" (at least not in the same context as applies to the Parent visa categories).

If you'd like to talk through your situation and retirement visa options feel able to call my colleague Helen O'Hare on 023 80 488777.

Best regards.

Thanks for that Alan, already spoken with lorraine who is very helpful...itsthe two year wait we are trying to circumvent...or in plain English..we wanna get there ASAP!
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by steve99
My Parents obtained a Contributory Parent Visa at the end of last year, The process took just under 6 months and was relativley straight forward.
Do a search on here and you'll find various old threads which should provide usefull info and peoples experiences of applying/obtaining this type of visa.
Steve
Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments... our problem is that our daughter flies out to Sydney 1/6/2005, it seems we then have to wait at least two years before we can apply for the Contributary Parent Visa. We are trying to determine just how "rigid" the qualifying 2 year period is - or are there exceptions.
The 410 visa is out because we do not have "capital investment or pensions" paying in effect GBP£20k PA. but using idiot logic..its a 4 year visa..and we could show easily A$350k plus4 x A$52k....not acceptable! ( A$870k = A$350k = 10 x A$52K !!

A & K
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:19 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Does anyone know what the medicals entail for a parent contributory visa? My mum is in great shape but my dad is less so (he recently had an operation for spinal arthritis and is much better now and does work but he is also on blood pressure medication). I am concerned that my dad's health will affect not only his chances but also my mums.

Thanks
We would also be interested to hear what the medicals are like. My in-laws are proceeding with a 410 retirement visa at the moment but hope to be able to convert it to a parent contributory visa if they get out there (brother in law will have been in Australia for two years in August 2006). There have been issues with the medical for the 410 so it would be interesting to have a comparison.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this..........

Binbird
Old Feb 21st 2005, 3:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binbird
We would also be interested to hear what the medicals are like. My in-laws are proceeding with a 410 retirement visa at the moment but hope to be able to convert it to a parent contributory visa if they get out there (brother in law will have been in Australia for two years in August 2006). There have been issues with the medical for the 410 so it would be interesting to have a comparison.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this..........

Binbird
I have done the medical for a parent contributory visa.

It is not particularly extensive but as medicare is a right with this visa it is very similar to a medical for any PR visa and the same criteria are used.

As far as the period before a person can sponsor it states in the 'Parent migration' booklet on the DIMIA website that a person should be resident for 2 years before they can sponsor.
Apart from this they would also need 2 years tax returns or other proof of earnings to act as Assurer.

G
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 7:38 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Steve,
Thanks for your comments... our problem is that our daughter flies out to Sydney 1/6/2005, it seems we then have to wait at least two years before we can apply for the Contributary Parent Visa. We are trying to determine just how "rigid" the qualifying 2 year period is - or are there exceptions.
The 410 visa is out because we do not have "capital investment or pensions" paying in effect GBP£20k PA. but using idiot logic..its a 4 year visa..and we could show easily A$350k plus4 x A$52k....not acceptable! ( A$870k = A$350k = 10 x A$52K !!

A & K
From being the Sponsor and Assuror the 2 year part seemed to mainly be applicable to the role of the Assuror, its basically you need to have 2 years worth of Tax returns which exceed the earnings threshold.
From the sponsor side we hadnt been here as Permenant Residents for 2 years but had been here over 2 years when taking into account time as Temporary residents. So if your daughter has been here for any amount of time temporarily you should be able to use this (from a sponsor perspective) to count towards the 2 years, I think there really looking to see that you've(she's) made a commitment to come and Stay in Australia, ie sold property in the UK, bought one in OZ got a job, bank accounts etc etc

If she can meet this do you(or she) have any other relatives/friends etc already in OZ that can assist on the 2 years income for the Assuror requirement?

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 9:55 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, there is a Contributory Parent pathway that doesn't involve an Assurer initially - this involves applying for the temporary CP visa initially, and then applying for the permanent CP visa two years later (when an Assurer IS required) ... however it is a relatively risky strategy in that there could be material problems if you can't locate an Assurer when the time comes during the AoS process while the permanent visa is being processed.

Best regards.

From being the Sponsor and Assuror the 2 year part seemed to mainly be applicable to the role of the Assuror, its basically you need to have 2 years worth of Tax returns which exceed the earnings threshold.
From the sponsor side we hadnt been here as Permenant Residents for 2 years but had been here over 2 years when taking into account time as Temporary residents. So if your daughter has been here for any amount of time temporarily you should be able to use this (from a sponsor perspective) to count towards the 2 years, I think there really looking to see that you've(she's) made a commitment to come and Stay in Australia, ie sold property in the UK, bought one in OZ got a job, bank accounts etc etc

If she can meet this do you(or she) have any other relatives/friends etc already in OZ that can assist on the 2 years income for the Assuror requirement?

Steve
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:38 am
Account Closed

Steve
The facts are..daughter and partner have booked flights to Sydney 1/06/2005 at this stage their visa's are due for completion ( is this the correct term?) according to their agents, within the next 6-8 weeks.
Daughters partner has uncle/family in Adeladia who are Oz citizens.
We want to join them ASAP..we fail on the Retirement Visa..dont have A$870K upfront and no pension or investments etc,. for option 2 & 3.

Daughter and partner are sellling their house here and intend to buy when jobs etc,. sorted.

We can afford to pay the CB visa fee,s in one or two payments as required by CP visa terms. Thats the lot basically, except I have a cousin in Melbourne who moved when my uncle joined the £10 assisted passage scheme that operated ( how times have changed!) 50 years ago and is obviously an Oz citizen...however, he seems to have "forgotten" his Brit background and has made o contact since my uncle died in the 1970's. In fact he could not even be bothered, after not seeing each other for over 50 years..and after his last night in the UK was at my mothers, to come to Melbourne airport last year when we transferred from Hobart to Perth..so I doubt it worth asking him for any help with emigration requirements. Unless by default his actual residency would help us.

So although I seem to be pestering everyone for info...I am trying to find a way where my wife and I can setup a new life with our daughter and her partner in Australia. I accept that "the rules are the rules" but the experiences of others may help with hitherto unknown or untried or options.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:47 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Thanks
We have friends who came over on a retirement visa. One has emphysema (sp?) - she qualifies for a disabled car sticker here, and the other has had a heart op. I know they had to provide refs from their specialists but they did get through. Not sure whether the meds for the parents visa are the same, perhaps they were only allowed in because persons on a retirement visa are required to have private health cover.
A cautionary tale, this couple previously lived in Oz for 25 years, and all their children and grandchildren are here, BUT they never took Oz citizenship, returned to the UK for 10 years to care for their own parents, and were then unable to re-enter on their original visa.
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 10:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the lot basically, except I have a cousin in Melbourne who moved when my uncle joined the £10 assisted passage scheme that operated ( how times have changed!) 50 years ago and is obviously an Oz citizen...however, he seems to have "forgotten" his Brit background and has made o contact since my uncle died in the 1970's. In fact he could not even be bothered, after not seeing each other for over 50 years..and after his last night in the UK was at my mothers, to come to Melbourne airport last year when we transferred from Hobart to Perth..so I doubt it worth asking him for any help with emigration requirements. Unless by default his actual residency would help us.
First cousins can only sponsor for skilled designated area sponsored (and they do have to sponsor - nothing happens by default), but this visa category has a non-negotiable age limit of 45.

So although I seem to be pestering everyone for info...I am trying to find a way where my wife and I can setup a new life with our daughter and her partner in Australia. I accept that "the rules are the rules" but the experiences of others may help with hitherto unknown or untried or options.
All the visas available are explained on the DIMIA website. Occasionally another visa may suit a parent, such as a state sponsored business or investor visa, but this really covers only the most exceptional circumstances. Contributory Parent is the standard route, with Retirement a temporary alternative.

Jeremy
Old Feb 22nd 2005, 11:15 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Hello

We did ours in August last year (applied for CP PR visa in June 04, visa granted Dec 04)

We are now waiting for the house to sell (2nd time - long story!)

Rest assured - there was nothing untoward in the medical itself - the Xray took a few minutes and then it was along to the doctor for the examination. This consisted of the usual eyeyes, ears, nose, throat, nerve reaction (small hammer jobby) and a bit of stretching - nothing horrendous. Blood and urine samples were also taken and tested.

Your parents will, presumably, have noted their medical situation on the application form which DIMIA already holds. When the medical results and Xray forms are received at DIMIA and passed to the relevant department for assessment they will either give your parents a "clean bill of health" or possibly ask for a further examination on the specific medical condition which your father had/has.

Whatever, there has always been an assurance in this forum that the medical conditions which may bar entry are, as well as the well-advertised ones ie TB, those which are liable to cost the Australian government a great deal of money in ongoing treatment, which I take to mean cancers etc.

The whole ethos of the PR Contributory Parent 2nd visa charge (Aus$26K+) is that it represents "a contribution to their future health costs" (exact quote from DIMIA blurb) which the visa holder may require in their later life. As a PR they will of course also have full access to Medicare.

Hope that has been of some help?

Regards

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.