Contract job

Old Oct 13th 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice
Default Contract job

HI Guys,

Been here 3 weeks and got myself a job now just sorting out the rate and paper work, very strange.... the company that got me the interview etc.. Want to pay me way less, which i was not happy about.
Cheeky as i know and maybe very unprofessional i just told my new boss to be that X company has said they will pay me $XXX+ super a day which is not a lot, considering its a contract role and I have applied for permanent jobs paying more, so is there any chance of getting more money.
The New boss said to me said that’s not right as they hold him they will be paying me more!, he asked me what I would be happy with to which I said $XXX + super a day to start with, to which he said seemed fair but could not believe how much cut the other company was taking. when I got home I called Company X and tried to negotiate a higher rate, this is the company that got me the interview to which they said ok we could push it up by an extra $6 a day lol, told them i will need to think about it,
They called me back saying they would also be able to get me LAFHA etc... I’m on a sub 309 spouse visa 2 year temp! (not sure if this can be done )
and that they will take care of all my accounts etc...

option 2 is to go via another recruiter who also do payroll and they will pay me the rate i want + super, however they won’t do any accounts for etc... This was suggested by my new boss

so what I wanted to know is... would I be able to claim my own expenses such as travel, laptop, mobile, home internet etc... after the payroll company has paid me ?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Contract job

Yes. An accountant can sort this out.

Tell the company who are shafting you that yourself and your boss are disgusted that they are doing this and unless they get it sorted asap you will be moving to another company who have promised to pay you right. They will say 'umm ahh, need to speak to my director' but they will come down on their %. Get them to sort your lahfa out on top of that. I've had same experience with these scumbags. They were taking 90 pounds a day off 1 guy till we sorted them out. Your boss is paying however much (say 400 a day for a certain level of applicant) and their giving him a $300 a day guy. He's prob even doubting how good you are. Be firm and threaten to ditch them. They'll realise you're serious and some profit is better than nothing
Old Oct 13th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

HI ITxrd,

not going to bother dealing with them, just going use company B instead, which i should have sorted tomorrow.
until contract is sorted i will keep company A running along.
do you know if i am able to claim LAFHA on a sub 309 visa ?
the only issue with that is we don’t pay rent so not sure how i would go about claiming anything ?

cheers
as they will be paying my Super and tax for me.

Shot
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

how do u live then - you own a place?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

nahh staying in a apartment which is owned by very close family friends who are not in oz at the moment so only paying for bills at the moment, and food
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

This may be helpful? A bit long winded, but it may give you an idea of what LAFHA is about.

http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.ht.../NAT/ATO/00001

Bascially LAFHA is paid where you incur expenses that you wouldn't normally incur. So flights, travel, accommodation, meals etc that you wouldn't normally have to buy are all examples of LAFHA. And it is not reliant on which visa you are on. We pay contractors LAFHA when we fly them in from interstate to work on our job - even if they are Aus Citizens.

More info on the ATO site http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tm&page=14&H14
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

just say your paying rent. chances are they wont ask but cover your tracks. but if you get caught say adios to visa. or be honest and just claim food - about 150 a week. not sure its worth it in your situ
Old Oct 13th 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

would like to stay on the safe side and not do that but will look into the food part,
Will arrange to speak to an accountant, as i can’t seem to get my head around the tax system here.
thanks for all your help guys.

Shot81