Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contents Insurance

Contents Insurance

Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:49 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contents Insurance

I have to renew my contents insurance - I am presently with AMMI but they are charging a fortune to cover my jewellery outside the home - puts the policy up to $1,300 a year (if we don't cover it it is $490) I don't have a great deal - about $30,000 worth, and obviously it is not all out at the same time. Its a really long process getting quotes and I realise that they vary with areas but has anyone else got jewellery cover on their contents insurance and paying less than this? Your recommendations would be gratefully received.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contents Insurance

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I have to renew my contents insurance - I am presently with AMMI but they are charging a fortune to cover my jewellery outside the home - puts the policy up to $1,300 a year (if we don't cover it it is $490) I don't have a great deal - about $30,000 worth, and obviously it is not all out at the same time. Its a really long process getting quotes and I realise that they vary with areas but has anyone else got jewellery cover on their contents insurance and paying less than this? Your recommendations would be gratefully received.
$30k sounds a lot to me!
We've just taken out contents insurance with CGU and I've just covered my engagement ring away from the home (only bit of half decent jewellery I've got lol). That is covered for $2500 and it put up our premium by $70 to $530 so I can see why yours is so much. Think you might be struggling to reduce it very much
Old Jun 27th 2006, 10:43 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

We have our buildings and contents, with accidental damage and extra for taking engagement ring, digital camera and camcorder away from the house, the contents are for about 60K. This is with RACQ and costs us under $800 a year - can't be exact because we only added the contents a short while ago.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:27 am
Just Joined

tax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the roughtax_bloke is a jewel in the rough
Cool Re: Contents Insurance

I've just signed up with the RAA - heaps cheaper than my last insurer with (I believe) cover for goods outside the house.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:29 am

Thanks for your replies. Been doing some further research today and all pretty much a muchness. Got until the 27th to see if I can find cheaper.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:48 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies. Been doing some further research today and all pretty much a muchness. Got until the 27th to see if I can find cheaper.
We are also with AAMI and ours came in around $1100 including $A75K of jewellery.

Kiwi
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

just taken a joint policy with Commonwealth Bank (I don't bank with them) for buildings ($350k rebuild) and $75k contents, includes accidental damage and my engagement ring $2k and mens and womens TAG watches at $2500 and $2000 covered separately. Cost $776 per year and no extra charge to pay by installments. As this was my first policy I got quotes from the world and his wife and this was the cheapest.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by thebears
We are also with AAMI and ours came in around $1100 including $A75K of jewellery.

Kiwi
Is that for loss outside the home as well? Seems pretty cheap. How much contents are you covering for? Our total is $115,000.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

We used Australian Unity for high value contents.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 8:45 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Is that for loss outside the home as well? Seems pretty cheap. How much contents are you covering for? Our total is $115,000.
$135,000 - Think the deal might be cheap because it was offered through my bank as a package.

Not sure about the loss outside home - this is what we had as standard in the UK. But for this coming year we do not intend flashing $10K watches and rings around the street. Rather sitting out the year recouping all the migration costs

By the way Vanessa you are only just up the road - do you want to meet up when the family come down from Sydney? Giving them my details to catch up Monday or Tuesday next week for friendly cuppa. PM me.