Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

container thread

container thread

Old Nov 13th 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice
Default container thread

This is my container thread thought I would share all the quotes and stuff for future reference.

Our journey is from Edinburgh SCO to Perth WA and for the sole use of a 20ft container.

20 Ft. Standard Container = 1197.25 cu. ft. = 33.9 m3 our total space is somewhere in the region of 900 cu. ft.

Also must point out that we stay in a 2 bedroom house and we are not taking much furniture. Mostly paintings will be the bulk of our stuff.

1 Bed, 2 couches (2 and 3 seater), 1 TV, 2 computer's, about 30 paintings (some are huge at 7 foot tall) and clothes and 3 chest of drawers, basic kitchen ware, no white goods at all, few mirrors and lamps, 1 large book shelf about 300 books, and various small items which I think we are getting extra boxes for anything else we want to take.

travel time estimated 6-8 weeks for all companies.

We have about 6 quotes and I will update the prices as we get them.

GBLiners = £3710 and 3.5% insurance on the value of goods.
Anglo Pacific = £3480 and 3%

Other stuff = most of the agents said that the price is negotiable and if the price was the issue just phone them and they weill see what they can do.

Also we will require wooden boxes made up for some paintings and this will come in at additional costs above the quote which are in the £100 area for the box which will hold 6 large fragile paintings.

The usual no plants, ect but we do have bamboo baskets that they said may cause hold ups in customs.

We are also taking garden furniture and this would have to be cleaned perfectly as well as shoes and just to throw walking boots out. If the customs need to clean your stuff you will get charged additional for the privilege to clean them.

Also you must be in Oz at time of arrival of container other wise it goes into holding and you pay for the storage fees and penalties for and eventually your container will be sent back, so make sure they can contact you in Oz in case you need to go down to customs.

There is a cost at customs that you pay for them to check your goods which is about $400.

will up date this thread as I get more quotes and any info that may be usefull.

Thanks, lee.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all
Default Re: container thread

Hi Lee
We moved with white and co in June from Morayshire to Adelaide 20ft sole use ctnr... and I have to say there service was brilliant from start to finish.

The price quoted, included everything (no hidden costs) and the service from their sister company this side was also exemplary. They kept us constantly informed of its whereabouts, what was happening etc. All our furniture arrived intact, including paintings. There was even lots of smiles and banter from the delivery men (we live on a hill, thought they would go spare!)

White and co also gave us 12 weeks free storage, so we could de-clutter our flat before selling it

Hope this helps
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

billybaba is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee

We used http://www.gerardremovers.co.uk/inte...l_removers.asp cant fault them one bit all stuff arrived last month in tact. I have sent you a pm.

Janette
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

lee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nicelee28 is just really nice

Originally Posted by linloo
Hi Lee
We moved with white and co in June from Morayshire to Adelaide 20ft sole use ctnr... and I have to say there service was brilliant from start to finish.

The price quoted, included everything (no hidden costs) and the service from their sister company this side was also exemplary. They kept us constantly informed of its whereabouts, what was happening etc. All our furniture arrived intact, including paintings. There was even lots of smiles and banter from the delivery men (we live on a hill, thought they would go spare!)

White and co also gave us 12 weeks free storage, so we could de-clutter our flat before selling it

Hope this helps
I have mailed them for a Quote, thanks for the Info, can I ask how much they quoted you?

Thanks, Lee.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by billybaba
Hi Lee

We used http://www.gerardremovers.co.uk/inte...l_removers.asp cant fault them one bit all stuff arrived last month in tact. I have sent you a pm.

Janette
also getting a quote from them as well.

Thanks, Lee.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

linloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to alllinloo is a name known to all

Hi Lee, we paid £3466 plus 2.5% the value. The Edingburgh no. is 0131 225 6603. They initially came to the flat to do an assessment and were really good with their advice.

We took garden furniture, a fantastic shoe collection and a lot of tools from the shed, and the cleaning wasnt to much trouble.

I had heard some nightmare stories about removals and this was one area I was dreading, but I had a contact all the way through, so that one on one service reassured me. This was all arranged in Feb 07, so hopefully prices havent gone overboard