Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Container Shipping???

Container Shipping???

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future
Default Container Shipping???

can anyone give me any advice re. a reliable company to ship our goods over from uk to oz and also the prices quoted, if you don't mind me asking!

can't remember the name of the company advertised at the 'migration open day' at york race course, so any info or help would be really appreciated...

bob...
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:31 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Container Shipping???

Everything I have heard recently points out Crown and PSS as being fairly safe at the moment - ie more positive comments than negative.

How are plans going?
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

NealMartin will become famous soon enough

Hi Honeybob,

We used PSS and they were great - charged about 2200 pounds for a shared 20' container - we used about 700 cubic ft I think. The guys took a day to wrap and the next morning to load and remove. Overall the time from pack to arrival at Brisbane was about 9 weeks.

I would recommend them. No hassles.

NealMartin
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

JohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of lightJohnoBronco is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by honeybob
can anyone give me any advice re. a reliable company to ship our goods over from uk to oz and also the prices quoted, if you don't mind me asking!

can't remember the name of the company advertised at the 'migration open day' at york race course, so any info or help would be really appreciated...

bob...
I've used Excess baggage - my goods arrive on 5th February in Brisbane - UK end was excellant service - will let u know what OZ end is like
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

honeybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant futurehoneybob has a brilliant future

thanks everyone for the responses... really helped...

can't sleep thinking about everything that has to be done in the next eight weeks or so, which is why i am sitting here at 02.30 instead of snoozing in bed...

moneypen will PM you

bob...
Old Jan 24th 2005, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

teagg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there
Newbie on this site - have been posting on gomatilda before now. Came out in November 04 permanently (validated visa on three week trip in May 03).

We have a friend who came out to the Gold Coast in 03 with PSS and her recommendation to us was definitely NOT to go with them. When doing the research for our move, I got about a dozen moving companies round for quotes (and to extract advice!). This was early 03 (pre validation trip). In 04 as we were gearing up to go - I got requotes from Allied Pickfords and
Anglo Pacific - we then went with Anglo Pacific. I have to say, hand on heart, that they have been utterly brilliant. I talk too much, am too enthusiastic, ask too many questions, am too detailed (etc etc etc)... well Anglo Pacific have dealt with ALL of my questions brilliantly, they managed to arrange the shipment to suit us down to the ground (we wanted it to take longer as we were concerned about arranging accommodation this end) and they've managed to do this, without extra charges. The office staff, and the moving chaps were all extremely professional and also very friendly. Their quotes for the move (both times around!) were competitive and realistic - some companies will quote less for the volume and then once you've signed up, you suddenly find that they didn't estimate the volume accurately!
Also their booklet on moving abroad (ie. checklist thing) was brilliant (one of the better ones).

Sorry re the length of this post - I hope someone finds it useful!
regards
teagg
(Sydney based!)
Old Jan 24th 2005, 4:15 am
BE Enthusiast

thanks teagg, really informative and useful...

hope to hear from you again, welcome to the forum...

bob...
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

slightly off topic I know but - wow! a reply! thank you! - am sitting in a flat with DH on a business trip - with a nine month old - and it's grey and raining outside (this is summer in Sydney!?!?) - so thank you again - it's given me a really good grin!

back on topic - we had a 40 ft container (and this was *after* six months of decluttering - and maternity leave!!) though it wasn't completely full.

Actually I was thinking - we were very lucky as we were given some airfreight space to use - and despite my/others advice, my DH decided that all our daughter's toys and kit and caboodle would be the best items to take (along with, would you believe, a tyre pressure gauge!).... in retrospect, taking things like a knife, pan, couple of plates, some cutlery, and a kettle - ie. the basic sorts of things, as if one was camping, would have been better than purchasing it all again here. Granted not the cheapest way of doing it (airfreight being more expensive than the Ikea homestart kit) BUT it would have meant a few less things (I already have oodles of saucepans, knives, plates etc etc!).
Anyway, hope that helps someone else when they come to pack their suitcases!
regards
teagg
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Costs - something else that has just occurred to me - and whether this is of use/benefit will depend on individual circumstances... nevertheless, it may be of use...
we decided to 'front end' as much of our costs as possible - so that we had/will have little or nothing to pay upon delivery of goods... ie. we've alreay prepaid the AQIS/customs inspection and any extra delivery costs (the ones needed as we're in a flat not a house!) to the UK company, who have then transferred the funds to the Aus company. It's meant that we have a better handle on things.
HTH