Container share

Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

leemg78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Container share

I have had a couple of quotes for shipping out some bits form our house. Mainly bits like sofa / TV / some personal belongings. The costs are adding up quite significantly. Approx £700 + packaging + insurance + import duty etc

We do not have much really as we have a small 2 bed terrace in the UK and are only looking at shipping a few bits. The sofa is only a small 2 seater - but it did cost us about £700 when we bought it.

Has anyone ever done a container share, or have some spare space in a container they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price heading to Sydney?

Or are we just better off starting again
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Container share

Originally Posted by leemg78
I have had a couple of quotes for shipping out some bits form our house. Mainly bits like sofa / TV / some personal belongings. The costs are adding up quite significantly. Approx £700 + packaging + insurance + import duty etc

We do not have much really as we have a small 2 bed terrace in the UK and are only looking at shipping a few bits. The sofa is only a small 2 seater - but it did cost us about £700 when we bought it.

Has anyone ever done a container share, or have some spare space in a container they would be willing to sell at a reasonable price heading to Sydney?

You'd struggle to get much cheaper than that- for £700 that must already be in a shared container.

You can of course self pack and insure separately from the shipping company (though you may find you're not covered for damage if you self pack).

Have you got any door to door quotes including all the bits you mention here- it may well work out cheaper all in.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 12:07 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Hi
To be honest we have decided that we will start again with the big stuff i.e. beds, sofas and bikes etc. We have found a company who will send out tea chests which are £99 for the first one then £30 each thereafter. They are called airfreight uk. We weren't going to bother taking anything at all but at that price it's worth thinking about.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=leemg78;5984854]I have had a couple of quotes for shipping out some bits form our house. Mainly bits like sofa / TV / some personal belongings. The costs are adding up quite significantly. Approx £700 + packaging + insurance + import duty etc

Or are we just better off starting again[/QUOTE
Please can you say which company this is with as it is far cheaper than what we have been priced. And for £700 i would consider shipping as at the moment we were just going to send some packing cases
Old Feb 26th 2008, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

leemg78 is an unknown quantity at this point

The company was called excess-international who quoted me that price. They were quite helpfull, give them a call and they will go through it with you on the phone.

I like the sound of £99 pound for a tea chest. I am going to look in to that one
Thanks!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ittakesages
Hi
To be honest we have decided that we will start again with the big stuff i.e. beds, sofas and bikes etc. We have found a company who will send out tea chests which are £99 for the first one then £30 each thereafter. They are called airfreight uk. We weren't going to bother taking anything at all but at that price it's worth thinking about.
hi can you tell me which company that was with i like the sound of this, as we will start again with the big stuff but things like photos, cds, and kids toys need to go as they ether cant be replaced or it would take us ages to replace them. do you know how big a tea chest is.

cheryl
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:29 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

ittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really niceittakesages is just really nice

Originally Posted by lyndhurst
hi can you tell me which company that was with i like the sound of this, as we will start again with the big stuff but things like photos, cds, and kids toys need to go as they ether cant be replaced or it would take us ages to replace them. do you know how big a tea chest is.

cheryl
This is the website address:

http://www.allfreight.co.uk/excess_b...king_Boxes.asp

Sorry, not clever enough to put the proper link on - that's why my husband is the IT expert and I'm not!!!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:30 pm
Finally in Melbourne!

Sorry, not clever enough to put the proper link on - that's why my husband is the IT expert and I'm not!!!!
Oh wow it works. I'll have to tell my OH he will be soooo impressed with me
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:27 pm
Banned

andrew4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh wow it works. I'll have to tell my OH he will be soooo impressed with me
Doree Bonner do a groupage service as well...could call them
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant futurelyndhurst has a brilliant future

thanks thats great.

cheryl
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

Hi Lee. Have you checked out whether your TV will work in Oz? We have been advised that they won't work properly unless you get something done to them which apparently is quite expensive. Not the expert but just wondered if you know something I don't!!!!

Jo
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

jdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud ofjdraper has much to be proud of

BTW, we are sending our stuff groupage too. We have a quote from Doree Bonner for £2591 plus AQIS fees and one from Crown for £2900 including AQIS fees. That is for 600 something???? Did have some other quotes but they were more expensive.

Jo
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I havent come across a TV yet that doesnt work in Oz.

You may need a STB to convert the signal.. and at about $50 I wouldnt class that as expensive, if you do intend to bring your TV.

Ste
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Might bring mine too then!!! Had heard from shippers etc that they weren't worth taking. Will reinvestigate.

Might p*** off Paul's mum now as she wanted it!!!!

Thanks very much.

Jo