Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Container arrived. Loads of damage

Container arrived. Loads of damage

Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Container arrived. Loads of damage

Container arrived in Brisbane and unloaded for inspection on Saturday. Loads of damage has been noted to our stuff and items with some not being packed properly for international shipping.This is a company that are frequently recommended on here and we went with them after careful consideration, a number of quotes (they came in between the lowest and highest) and the fact that the pride themselves on having a good international packing team! The damage is to big items so far, so dreading the smaller more delicate items. Not feeling good at the moment due to the just arrived blues and and was looking forward to out stuff coming. Not looking forward to the insurance forms and all the hassle of claiming. Sat here now just needing to vent a bit with a screaming 2 year old who just wants her bed and toys back in one piece:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:14 am
Just Joined

jan63 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Container arrived. Loads of damage

Cheer up mate, we had the same thing about a year ago when we arrived- quite alot of damage to furniture and small items. My advice to you is to photograph everything that is damaged as it is unpacked and also make the people who deliver your stuff write down on their delivery notes that its damaged, I did this then got quoted for it to be replaced locally then made a claim against them. We got $4600 worth of damage
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:41 am
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of

hi
we had some damages (mainly due to custom inspection) as paper and packaging had been ripped off certain items, and some loss. Insurance paid out promptly. Is a pain but worth the hassle.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Please tell me it wasn't Allied Pickfords as we have just booked them!
Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TMRE
Container arrived in Brisbane and unloaded for inspection on Saturday. Loads of damage has been noted to our stuff and items with some not being packed properly for international shipping.This is a company that are frequently recommended on here and we went with them after careful consideration, a number of quotes (they came in between the lowest and highest) and the fact that the pride themselves on having a good international packing team! The damage is to big items so far, so dreading the smaller more delicate items. Not feeling good at the moment due to the just arrived blues and and was looking forward to out stuff coming. Not looking forward to the insurance forms and all the hassle of claiming. Sat here now just needing to vent a bit with a screaming 2 year old who just wants her bed and toys back in one piece:curse::curse::curse::curse::curse:
As Jan63 said, keep a note and photos of everything and check the insurance details as to how long you have upon receipt of the goods to claim as their is probably a timeline you need to adhere to. And given you know you will be making a claim, the biggest thing you have to do, although an almighty pain is unpack EVERYTHING and check it all, since you only get one claim so it should all be soon and together.

It's a major hassle and not what you need but that is why you purchased insurance. And good luck...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:21 am
SNH
BE Enthusiast

SNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud ofSNH has much to be proud of

I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am you - and apparently so many other people - have problems like this.

I have never had things damaged when shipping between the various countries I have lived in.

I wonder if any of it got damaged after customs inspections or something?

For some crazy reason I cannot comprehend, customs didn't inspect any of our stuff when we moved back to Australia from India (they really should have with a truckload of stuff from India).
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SNH
I have nothing worthwhile to add, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am you - and apparently so many other people - have problems like this.

I have never had things damaged when shipping between the various countries I have lived in.

I wonder if any of it got damaged after customs inspections or something?

For some crazy reason I cannot comprehend, customs didn't inspect any of our stuff when we moved back to Australia from India (they really should have with a truckload of stuff from India).
Thank for all the replies, feel better today as had other news to deal with the last week and this just added to it. The damage was caused by the sofa's not being packaged properly in the UK and they packed heavy items on top of them as well. Not happy and will be in contact with UK side to start a claim against their insurance as it has been stated "not packed to international shipping standard, packing not suitable for purpose". Plus there is a lot of stuff not listed on the inventory. Customs will now be going through it with a fine tooth comb so delays delivery (not that we have anything to hide)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:44 am
Just Joined

jan63 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi mate,

If you have goods that are damaged and are not on the inventory list then you cannot claim for them, we had that problem with a few plates and glasses, but our tables and sofas were all covered, on one sofa we had oil marks so I made a claim to have them cleaned.
Your best to list everything because somewhere they will find a way not to pay you the 100% of the value.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Nikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud ofNikki.P has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TMRE
I'm really sorry to hear that some of your belongings have been damaged, it really is disheartening when you;ve been waiting with anticipation to get your own stuff back. We had several items damaged, we were insured through Letton Percival and they were great. We just got quotes and they paid up very quickly with no problems. Keep your chin up.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

hantorro is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Nikki.P
I'm really sorry to hear that some of your belongings have been damaged, it really is disheartening when you;ve been waiting with anticipation to get your own stuff back. We had several items damaged, we were insured through Letton Percival and they were great. We just got quotes and they paid up very quickly with no problems. Keep your chin up.
My friends used Pickfords, they came to their home and packed everything, then unpacked at the other end, only 2 glass ornaments were damaged and she had wrapped those in tissue herself.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:20 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

As said before, photograph all damage. Make out a spreadsheet referencing each photo, with original price (if known) and replacement/repair costs. We had to drive hundreds of miles and make many phone calls to get estimates for replacements, many of which just weren't available.

In the end we collected roughly what the insurance premiums were, less excess - and still had the damaged goods.

We also found there were items which never arrived - it takes years to discover you don't have things you should have!

The clever ones just take the odd thing, knowing you won't miss it until way after the event.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

MattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really niceMattW82 is just really nice

Sorry to hear that, hope you manage to get the insurance sorted with as little hassle as possible.