Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Contact lenses & glasses

Contact lenses & glasses

Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of
Question Contact lenses & glasses

Does anyone know what daily disposable lenses cost in Australia? Also specs? I need a new pair and am wondering if I should wait and get them out here before I go, or get them out there?
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Contact lenses & glasses

Originally Posted by Brisbane bound
Does anyone know what daily disposable lenses cost in Australia? Also specs? I need a new pair and am wondering if I should wait and get them out here before I go, or get them out there?
http://www.contactlensshop.com.au/
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea about UK prices, as I never needed glasses before, but the pair of specs I had to order this week - fairly strong, and graduated lenses - is costing $500, that includes frames at $179, the cheapest in the shop! The eye test itself is free through Medicare.
I asked if they do the sort of offer I've seen in the UK, buy a pair and get second half price, and the optician burst out laughing
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud ofBrisbane bound has much to be proud of

Thank you!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:12 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

If your eye(s) are not particularly astigmatic then $5 to $10 for eyeglasses at a discount store.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:23 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
If your eye(s) are not particularly astigmatic then $5 to $10 for eyeglasses at a discount store.
I've got some of those to tide me over - they are fine while looking at a screen, or reading a book, but I have the sort of job where I am getting up and down and moving around all day, and I now have really sore ears because I have to spend all day taking them on and off, forgot one day last week and was so disorientated when I started walking that I went smack into a filing cabinet!!! (and I was SOBER!!!!)
Old Feb 20th 2005, 1:57 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've got some of those to tide me over - they are fine while looking at a screen, or reading a book, but I have the sort of job where I am getting up and down and moving around all day, and I now have really sore ears because I have to spend all day taking them on and off, forgot one day last week and was so disorientated when I started walking that I went smack into a filing cabinet!!! (and I was SOBER!!!!)
AS someone who is minus 9 in the eyesight dept I`m sending you some karma for that one!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 2:06 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
AS someone who is minus 9 in the eyesight dept I`m sending you some karma for that one!!
AH! So it was you!! I don;t know any figures for mine, they won;t give me any until they have finished poking me about and issuing me with eyedrops I have no UK experience to draw on, but the optician here was brilliant, I was with him for nearly an hour, just booked as an eyetest on Medicare. Eye Quack not quite so impressive, but it seems he knows his job - cost of him, if anyone is interested - was $115 for an initial consultation, its a private clinic but I can claim about half back because I was referred; the followup visits are $70 each, again partially claimable from Medicare.

(and OT, but I must say a big thank you to people on here who have followed the saga, and esp to The Bloke, who has put up with more than any husband should have to! )
Old Feb 20th 2005, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Disposable lenses are cheaper in Australia. You can claim them on health insurance if you sign up for private medical care.