Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Consumer Rights in NSW

Consumer Rights in NSW

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 2:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consumer Rights in NSW

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
In Victoria you can be fined for a lot of those things - only a licensed plumber is legally allowed to do rewasher a tap, for example - domestic tap in your own hbome!! :scared: (Unless the law has changed in the last 5 yrs?)
Ditto in Qld
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ditto in Qld
I got into trouble last time I posted for sounding patronising so I will say no more than I must beg to differ on this (you wouldn't be trying to bait me would you Pollyana?) I am a Qld lic plumber by the way.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bramptonbrian
I got into trouble last time I posted for sounding patronising so I will say no more than I must beg to differ on this (you wouldn't be trying to bait me would you Pollyana?) I am a Qld lic plumber by the way.
I wouldn't try to bait you. Can't see where/why you would have that idea.
I'm married to a Qlder who tells me that we have to get a plumber in by law if a washer needs replacing, and who nearly had a blue fit when i wanted to replace a UK plug with an Aussie one People at work are the same - scared of their own shadows and won't cross the road without a licence to do so
The subjects have been debated on here many times. The plumbing stuff was harder to find, but I'm now going to war with the other half on it - looks like its ok to change a washer, but illegal to install a washing machine! I'm impressed though - this could be something involving Vic having worse licensing regs than Qld!!!
http://www.lgp.qld.gov.au/Docs/build...d_draining.pdf
For the electrical stuff there a fab thread somewhere with info posted by Cresta57, I'll see if I can track it down.

I'm fast learning that just cos he's lived here all his life The Bloke doesn't always know the law (but I'll whisper that bit so I don't upset him )

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 3rd 2006 at 11:22 am. Reason: found the link!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

bramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of lightbramptonbrian is a glorious beacon of light

I wouldn't try to bait you. Can't see where/why you would have that idea.
I'm married to a Qlder who tells me that we have to get a plumber in by law if a washer needs replacing, and who nearly had a blue fit when i wanted to replace a UK plug with an Aussie one People at work are the same - scared of their own shadows and won't cross the road without a licence to do so
The subjects have been debated on here many times. For the electrical stuff there a fab thread somewhere with info posted by Cresta57, I'll see if I can track it down.
Sorry for being paranoid, I got embroiled in a episode reminiscent of Blackadder last week.
The plumbing info is accurate but, as I mentioned, please confirm with the council inspector before you tackle any jobs. The electrics are another issue, I'm currently (no pun intended) on a 2 nights/week for 12 weeks course to allow me to fit 3 pin plugs.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

The subjects have been debated on here many times. The plumbing stuff was harder to find, but I'm now going to war with the other half on it - looks like its ok to change a washer, but illegal to install a washing machine! I'm impressed though - this could be something involving Vic having worse licensing regs than Qld!!!
For the electrical stuff there a fab thread somewhere with info posted by Cresta57, I'll see if I can track it down.

I'm fast learning that just cos he's lived here all his life The Bloke doesn't always know the law (but I'll whisper that bit so I don't upset him )[/QUOTE]

Please don't give him a hard time, the population seems to be divided into folk who don't dare do anything for fear of breaking a law and the others who don't care two twts about anything (I know which I prefer)
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm fast learning that just cos he's lived here all his life The Bloke doesn't always know the law (but I'll whisper that bit so I don't upset him )
Please don't give him a hard time, the population seems to be divided into folk who don't dare do anything for fear of breaking a law and the others who don't care two twts about anything (I know which I prefer)[/QUOTE]
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Please don't give him a hard time, the population seems to be divided into folk who don't dare do anything for fear of breaking a law and the others who don't care two twts about anything (I know which I prefer)
[/QUOTE]
mmmmmmmm this gets better and better !!!! cant plumb a washer in ,now cant change a plug without hassle is it ok to spend your money without needing a licence ?
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

mmmmmmmm this gets better and better !!!! cant plumb a washer in ,now cant change a plug without hassle is it ok to spend your money without needing a licence ?[/QUOTE]

Thats the only thing you can do (otherwise how would you pay for the licence?)
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:21 pm
Chloe (and/or Steven)

chloe will become famous soon enough

Sorry for being paranoid, I got embroiled in a episode reminiscent of Blackadder last week.
The plumbing info is accurate but, as I mentioned, please confirm with the council inspector before you tackle any jobs. The electrics are another issue, I'm currently (no pun intended) on a 2 nights/week for 12 weeks course to allow me to fit 3 pin plugs.

This might sound stupid, but I'm very curious - what are the filling the classes with?

How do they take up 2 nights of your week for twelve weeks teaching you how to fit 3 pin plugs?

Can ordinary people do things like rewire a lamp?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 2:34 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by chloe
This might sound stupid, but I'm very curious - what are the filling the classes with?

How do they take up 2 nights of your week for twelve weeks teaching you how to fit 3 pin plugs?

Can ordinary people do things like rewire a lamp?
:scared: :scared:
Have a read of the link I posted earlier
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:05 am
Chloe (and/or Steven)

:scared: :scared:
Have a read of the link I posted earlier

I did, even the PDF blows up my old computer. I'm amazed that they have to tell you specifically that you're allowed to change a shower head.

But I'm just really wondering how they can drag wiring a three-pin plug out for twelve weeks.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:06 am
Chloe (and/or Steven)

I did, even the PDF blows up my old computer. I'm amazed that they have to tell you specifically that you're allowed to change a shower head.

But I'm just really wondering how they can drag wiring a three-pin plug out for twelve weeks.
... even *though* PDF...
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Yes 12 x 4 hour sessions are required. Also you have to be able to demonstrate a calling to be invited on the course so trades like motor mechanics and joiners aren't allowed on the premises. A permit to train must be obtained from the Electrical Licencing Board. Full cost of around $1,200.
I'm sure you'd get bored if I went into detail but starts off with a history lesson (Farraday and crew), structure (atoms etc), generation etc etc.
Numerous assignments and an end exams.
If the course is completed to TAFEs satisfaction then a period of on site supervision is required and log book entrys filed, the next step is to apply to the Board for a Restricted Licence.
Once granted a licence, 3 pin plugs (and a few other minor items) can be swapped legally.
This isn't just a one off, quite a number of tasks which UK plumbers carry out as part of the job also require a long stint at school to gain the necessary endorsements and then refreshers at intervals too.
At least it gives this humble immigrant a way of meeting the local plumbers (that's about the only positive comment I can think off!)
Old Sep 4th 2006, 10:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just out of curiosity what does one do if one suffers a burst pipe in the house for some reason.Will i have to borrow 232bars diving equipment till i can get a licenced plumber to fix it or are you allowed to fix it being it's an emergency then contact a proper plumber.I'm very interested to know if anyone has come across this problem
ps POLLYANA have you managed to come across that thread by cresta57 about the electrical side of things please?
Old Sep 4th 2006, 11:00 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by bobbyftm
Just out of curiosity what does one do if one suffers a burst pipe in the house for some reason.Will i have to borrow 232bars diving equipment till i can get a licenced plumber to fix it or are you allowed to fix it being it's an emergency then contact a proper plumber.I'm very interested to know if anyone has come across this problem
ps POLLYANA have you managed to come across that thread by cresta57 about the electrical side of things please?
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=plugs

Lots of useful links

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.