Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Construction Industry Slump, BEWARE!

Construction Industry Slump, BEWARE!

Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

ripcantrell will become famous soon enough
Default Construction Industry Slump, BEWARE!

I have not posted for a while but I am based in WA now and have been for a couple of months. If you work in the construction industry and are a plumber, gas fitter, carpenter, bricklayer or any other trade and think you will walk straight into a job over here then think again!! DIAC has announced changes to visas today and not prioritising certain trades anymore.

MY point is if you have a job lined up before leave and can start work then great but if you are leaving a stable job in the UK as I did and expecting to get the same standard here you are in for a shock. I would seriously consider your ptions before coming to AU at the moment and if all you have to do is validate your visa, then it might be best to do this before you start selling your house and moving all your gear out here. I would definately suggest doing this and doing a reccy first before jumping straight in.

Obviously everyones circumstances are different and I would tell anyone to do anything but I just thought you oughta know the facts and trash those rose tinted specs big style.

There are plenty of out of work migrant tradesmen already and its driving the labour rates down. Do not believe everything you see on TV or read in the UK as it does NOT paint a true picture. Trouble with shows like 'Wanted Down Under' is they were recorded way before things started getting badand it really is so prosperous right now.

It seems that if you have the funds to set up for yourself and can carry yourself financially for some time through the trade courses and waiting for work to come in then you should be ok. Bear in mind though every tradesmen here feels the same way and they are also snapping up the trades courses so they can work for themselves.

Be very, very careful and do your research first!!

Last edited by ripcantrell; Mar 16th 2009 at 11:32 am. Reason: crap spelling
Old Mar 16th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of
Default Re: Construction Industry Slump, BEWARE!

Originally Posted by ripcantrell
Amen to that.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 1:32 pm
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

WE did loads of research had 2 visits one to validate, I couldn't research anymore.

I knew what to expect but no amount of research can prepare you for being here for 3 months and not finding work and licensing requirements are a total mind field, many govt offices don't know their arse from their elbows.

TAFE dont return phone calls no matter how much you ring.

We are not the only ones in this situation, we have looked and applied for jobs in Brisbane, Perth, nSW but no one is prepared to give us a go.

Dont really want to move and kids are dead set against it but needs must.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

I have not posted for a while but I am based in WA now and have been for a couple of months. If you work in the construction industry and are a plumber, gas fitter, carpenter, bricklayer or any other trade and think you will walk straight into a job over here then think again!! DIAC has announced changes to visas today and not prioritising certain trades anymore.

MY point is if you have a job lined up before leave and can start work then great but if you are leaving a stable job in the UK as I did and expecting to get the same standard here you are in for a shock. I would seriously consider your ptions before coming to AU at the moment and if all you have to do is validate your visa, then it might be best to do this before you start selling your house and moving all your gear out here. I would definately suggest doing this and doing a reccy first before jumping straight in.

Obviously everyones circumstances are different and I would tell anyone to do anything but I just thought you oughta know the facts and trash those rose tinted specs big style.

There are plenty of out of work migrant tradesmen already and its driving the labour rates down. Do not believe everything you see on TV or read in the UK as it does NOT paint a true picture. Trouble with shows like 'Wanted Down Under' is they were recorded way before things started getting badand it really is so prosperous right now.

It seems that if you have the funds to set up for yourself and can carry yourself financially for some time through the trade courses and waiting for work to come in then you should be ok. Bear in mind though every tradesmen here feels the same way and they are also snapping up the trades courses so they can work for themselves.

Spot on post! Sadly I would guess that your advice will fall on deaf ears unfortunately. I answered a thread a few months ago advising someone that the work was drying up and that new migrants were going to find it very tough with no local experience and few if any contacts and that if I were them leaving a secure job for the unknown would be foolish unless they had significant savings. They decided to go for it anyway and a couple of others chipped in saying they would be doing the same. Of course thats their decision and thats how it should be which I also commented on then.

People will hear and see what they want to, though thats not a criticism its just the way it is; still agree with your post though and hopefully some will take the advice. I would also add that Aussies are starting to look out for their own and that obviously the more of them out of work significantly impacts on an expats chances of finding work.
The fact that the Government has frozen skilled visas in construction I think is a very very bad sign for us expats because in effect it plants the seed in Australian companies and the population in general to look out for your own and that it is acceptable. Of course I have to say that I am not sure it would be any different back home though. I am a Bricklayer by trade and in Sydney; I got laid off last week and just as I was writing this the phone rang and I got another job! This though is probably because I have two and a half years local experience and the company I was working for is well known. The fact that the new job is a pommy owned company may also have helped.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:18 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the bush fires in Vic and the floods in QLD will generate plenty of work when the insurance money comes in.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:50 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
I think the bush fires in Vic and the floods in QLD will generate plenty of work when the insurance money comes in.
agreed. but only for the folks who are prepared to work in those spots (obviously).

With the bushfires occurring relatively close to Melbourne, you would assume that tradies all over the Melbourne area will benefit. Different story up here as the floods occurred a long way from Brisbane.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 3:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Yes, it will generate work but first and foremost Aussies like to employ Aussies.

That does not mean you can't get jobs but there are many factors conspiring against newly arrived immigrants at the moment.

The OP was spot on, please think very carefully if you have job security in the UK this may not be the time to leave your job behind unless you have a concrete (no pun!) offer already in Oz.

We know of too many people that have financially crippled themselves getting here to find they just can't work at an acceptable level/pay over here and it's not just the tradies either.

But saying that, good luck to everyone who is trying to get work

Sam
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:46 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Completely agree with the above. We're near Mandurah and I was chatting with an Aussie builder yesterday who hasn't been able to get work for ages. Also, my brother in law is working on a building site and they are laying people off and reducing work hours - he doesn't know how much longer he'll have work

If I was in the UK now and had a choice I would put off coming for a couple of years.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent advice.

Although it's true you can only do so much research you are someone who is on the ground with up to the minute experience offering advice. Hopefully at least it will enable people back in the UK to come out with their eyes open.

I know of tiler who spent the last 2 years retiling the London Underground and was told that because he didn't have any WA experience he was a no go. So they put tiles up a different way here!! He is still looking, been 2 months now.

Unfortunately that is just the way it and the Aussies will look after their own first. I hope things work out for you.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:15 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stm1971
Excellent advice.

Although it's true you can only do so much research you are someone who is on the ground with up to the minute experience offering advice. Hopefully at least it will enable people back in the UK to come out with their eyes open.

I know of tiler who spent the last 2 years retiling the London Underground and was told that because he didn't have any WA experience he was a no go. So they put tiles up a different way here!! He is still looking, been 2 months now.

Unfortunately that is just the way it and the Aussies will look after their own first. I hope things work out for you.
Great post and hopefully it will open peoples eyes a bit.

However there is still work going on and there are a lot of government backed projects happening, hospitals, schools etc. With a slowdown in the house building sector it will really take off again in 18 months time to make up for lost time.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Can you post the link to the DIAC chnages as I can't find on internet, cheers!
Old Mar 17th 2009, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener.../whats-new.htm
is this the one ?

Last edited by Chris Ball; Mar 17th 2009 at 8:28 am.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
Just seen Gasfitter is STILL on the list,even in the boom times didnt see many jobs for gasfitters.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:21 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Any tradie who takes the trouble to respond to quotes and follows up with a phone call, actually bothers with potential customers at all will be fine.

I am trying to employ tradies at the moment and it is impossible to get them to return phone calls, give me quotes, I have to chase chase chase.

There is clearly far too much work for them to bother having to try very hard.

Buzzy
Old Mar 17th 2009, 9:22 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
Great post and hopefully it will open peoples eyes a bit.

However there is still work going on and there are a lot of government backed projects happening, hospitals, schools etc. With a slowdown in the house building sector it will really take off again in 18 months time to make up for lost time.
call me pessimistic but if anyone is in the uk is clinging to hope,reading the above statement be very cautious.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.