Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering taking the leap

Considering taking the leap

Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Warrington_Wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering taking the leap

I'm currently considering escaping the UK to Oz and I would like some advice.
My Situation at the moment.
I live at home with my parents as I can't afford to move out.
I earn £12.500 a year as an optical mechanic and I've being doing that for 8 years, 3 of those are as the Assistant Lab Manager. My manager has said that there is no chance of a payrise in the forseeable future, the jobs market in my area is just as grim.
The company I work for has branched out into Australia and they are crying out for optical mechanics with my experience, they are starting them on a basic pay of about $46.000 a year.
The main facility where I would be working is in Port Melbourne.
I am 25 years old, no wife / Girlfriend or kids. I have a British JAA pilot's licence (financed by lots of overtime and saving) and I have no criminal record. I've also found out that I have more than enough points to get a visa.

My Questions
How did your relatives react when you told them that you were emigrating? I'm concerned about telling my parents that I'm thinking of emigrating.

What is the cost of living in Melbourne? I'm aware that the rent can be quite expensive but what about things like electricity, gas, water, council tax and food?

My Dad has a conviction for Drink Driving, would he still be able to get a visa, so he can come visit me if I do decide to emigrate?

I'm worried that I will get homesick if I go, what tips do you hve for combatting it?

Is Australia all that is is cracked up to be?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Dills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant futureDills has a brilliant future
Default Re: Considering taking the leap

I would go for it, you are young with no dependants. You could soften the blow for your parents by saying that you are going on a working holiday for a few years. As you say, your living at home, not earning much etc, this could be a very exciting time in your life....go for it, home will always be where you left it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:02 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Warrington_Wolf
I earn £12.500 a year as an optical mechanic and I've being doing that for 8 years, 3 of those are as the Assistant Lab Manager. My manager has said that there is no chance of a payrise in the forseeable future, the jobs market in my area is just as grim.
The company I work for has branched out into Australia and they are crying out for optical mechanics with my experience, they are starting them on a basic pay of about $46.000 a year.
I am 25 years old, no wife / Girlfriend or kids. I have a British JAA pilot's licence (financed by lots of overtime and saving) and I have no criminal record. I've also found out that I have more than enough points to get a visa.

My Questions
How did your relatives react when you told them that you were emigrating? I'm concerned about telling my parents that I'm thinking of emigrating.

What is the cost of living in Melbourne? I'm aware that the rent can be quite expensive but what about things like electricity, gas, water, council tax and food?

My Dad has a conviction for Drink Driving, would he still be able to get a visa, so he can come visit me if I do decide to emigrate?

I'm worried that I will get homesick if I go, what tips do you hve for combatting it?

What you're leaving just as you finally start winning?
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:06 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE

Your dad shouldn't have a problem getting a visa to visit you in Australia provided he declares it in his visa application and landing card (I'm assuming he didnt receive a custodial sentence).
Old Mar 21st 2010, 7:23 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

My Questions

You are young, free and single. What have you got to lose? If you can get work then go for it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

I would defo say go for it. You have no ties at the moment and at the end of the day if you go and dont like it or it doesnt work out you can come back and start again. Life is too short...... I am 35 with two little ones and it has been our dream for so long and now we are heading over in a couple of months time. I am so anxious about how things will turn out and how the kids will be but we have got to go and seeif its for us as i am sure we will regret not going when we had the chance. Go for it.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

joydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the roughjoydot is a jewel in the rough

you are in the ideal situation and have much to gain. unless of course you dearly love living with your parents in their house (incid, they make horror movies about this subject). your parents/ family arent losing a child but gaining a wonderful place to go in uk winter months...
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

My Questions

Given your young and free go for it, share a flat, work, see if you enjoy it. Your not the age, nor have the commitments where you will end up stuck in OZ if you dont like it. You dont have the complications of kids in education, your life savings to punt on the currency market fluctuations, blah blah.

Go for a couple of years, tell your parents its just that, and only if you like it will you be staying.

Many would envy your position

And no OZ is not all its cracked up to be, just another country with its ups and downs, if you dont build it up to be what its not, you will enjoy it for what it is - a new experience for a while.
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:49 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulry
Welcome to BE

Your dad shouldn't have a problem getting a visa to visit you in Australia provided he declares it in his visa application and landing card (I'm assuming he didnt receive a custodial sentence).
True, although it should be pointed out that with a conviction he would have to apply for a different tourist visa. The regular tourist one has a question regarding convictions and he would have to answer it truthfully.

So, he would have to play it safe and apply for the proper one. which is a bit more money and it takes longer. My dad's took about 4 weeks, which was very stressful as he hadn't planned on that. Just make sure to factor that in and apply several months before just to be on the safe side. They actually recommend 6 months before I think!
Old Mar 21st 2010, 10:52 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My Questions

Yeh, go for it ... the word 'escape' is always an alarm-bell-ringer though ... consider the fact that Oz ain't always like it is on the telly and you'll be alright, just reign in the expectations.

Hold on, actually it IS mostly like it is on the telly ... get gone ya eeeejit!
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Given your young and free go for it, share a flat, work, see if you enjoy it. Your not the age, nor have the commitments where you will end up stuck in OZ if you dont like it. You dont have the complications of kids in education, your life savings to punt on the currency market fluctuations, blah blah.

Go for a couple of years, tell your parents its just that, and only if you like it will you be staying.

Many would envy your position

And no OZ is not all its cracked up to be, just another country with its ups and downs, if you dont build it up to be what its not, you will enjoy it for what it is - a new experience for a while.
I agree completely. It's the perfect time and set of circumstances to give it a go .
Old Mar 22nd 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
I agree completely. It's the perfect time and set of circumstances to give it a go .
Yup me too. It will never be easier for you to try it out than it is now.