Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering a move, any advice appreciated!

Considering a move, any advice appreciated!

Old Jan 30th 2013, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

amylou82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering a move, any advice appreciated!

I am 30 years old and I'm considering a move to either Oz or NZ with my 8 year old son in the next couple of years.

What has OZ got to offer us is what I'm wondering???

Apart from spiders and snakes of course, which is a HUGE put off for me!!! Are these a problem and do they really get into your house??

I'll be a qualified Psychotherapist very soon and do have valuable experience behind me. I'm planning to complete a Masters degree before moving too and while doing this I'll be working as a Psychotherapist. I have experience working in schools, with domestic abuse victims and drug and alcohol recovery.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering a move, any advice appreciated!

I must admit I am a bit confused. You are considering a move to Australia but don't know what it might offer you? So what is it that is makng you consider the move in the first place? You need to examine that, because nobody else can really say what might be in it for you.

I moved for an adventure, to base myself this side of the world so I can explore it over time. That is just me though, it might not apply to you.

Never seen a snake and see no more spiders than I ever did in the UK. Although I see webs more on the outside of the house when it needs spraying again.
Old Jan 30th 2013, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. Basically what I mean is that NZ appeals to me more for numerous reasons, but I'm wondering if Oz can offer me and my son anything NZ can't... Is the life style any different for example? And what is the education system like?
Old Jan 30th 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by amylou82
I am 30 years old and I'm considering a move to either Oz or NZ with my 8 year old son in the next couple of years.
Just another thing to be aware of, and obviously I dont know your situation, but if your sons other parent has any parental rights, you will need their permission to take their offspring to another country.

With regards to the Aus or NZ thing....... I couldnt say for sure. From what I understand, NZ is similar to the UK with better views, and many kiwis are leaving NZ and heading for Aus on a weekly basis. However I have looked both the same as you have, and it does appear to be easier to gain a NZ visa than a Aussie visa, but Im sure someone with a far better understanding will be able to give you better info than I......

Old Jan 30th 2013, 11:56 pm
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I emigrated to NZ (Christchurch) lived there for 7 years and we recently moved over to OZ (qld) in Dec 2012. Our NZ experience was great and it was the earthquakes that made our decision to move more than anything as I personally wasn't copying and with a few other factors we thought we would try OZ, as we have been on holiday here before in the past. I think OZ is like NZ but obviously with better weather, and different bugs! Whichever you choose I'm sure you will enjoy.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 12:02 am
UK to NZ to OZ

sarahinnz is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. Basically what I mean is that NZ appeals to me more for numerous reasons, but I'm wondering if Oz can offer me and my son anything NZ can't... Is the life style any different for example? And what is the education system like?
I think OZ can offer more in the long run, as NZ is great but I think more opportunities are in OZ, but then I was told (by my kiwi friends) that NZ education is better than OZ but I've only been in OZ for 2 months so its too early make that decision. As someone else stated kiwis are leaving NZ every week but all for different reasons!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:53 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

More importantly, what can you offer Australia? I think that's what you'll need to convince DIAC of before you get a visa. Do/will you qualify for a visa to move here? www.immi.gov.au is where to start before getting hopes of moving up. Also, as has been pointed out you're going to need to prove you can move your son, so perhaps getting the wheels in motion for that might be a good idea.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. Basically what I mean is that NZ appeals to me more for numerous reasons, but I'm wondering if Oz can offer me and my son anything NZ can't... Is the life style any different for example? And what is the education system likeI?
There are a few people on the forum that have lived in both, but not that many and if they are reading in the Australia forum then the probability is they prefer Australia and would be biased.

I have only been to NZ on holiday, thought it was beautiful and the locals very very friendly indeed. There were clouds in the sky every day virtually though, I missed Australia's blue skies (but make no mistake they are not blue every day!). I think I do like the warmer climate in Australia, even though it can be punishing at times and there are more extremes. Often people report that the job situation is pretty tough in New Zealand.

I have no idea what the education system in either country is like and you are not handed your new lifestyle when you land in the country. That is all down to you.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

What has OZ got to offer us is what I'm wondering???

Apart from spiders and snakes of course, which is a HUGE put off for me!!! Are these a problem and do they really get into your house??

I'll be a qualified Psychotherapist very soon and do have valuable experience behind me. I'm planning to complete a Masters degree before moving too and while doing this I'll be working as a Psychotherapist. I have experience working in schools, with domestic abuse victims and drug and alcohol recovery.

Any info or advice greatly appreciated
Hi there, all of those that migrated a while ago were in the same boat umpteen years ago and had the same thoughts and questions I'm sure. My advice would be to research, resarch and research as much as you can on both Aus and NZ.

Write a list of what it is you want, we wrote down all the things we wanted with regards to a close by town, city, suburbs or regional, near a certain school, lifestyle, hospital for work, clubs, climate varies hugely dep where you settle etc, etc as we all want something different depending on our family/life situation.

Do friends at work know someone that has migrated, can you email them, do the friends know how they found work ie maybe magazines advertising working in NZ or Aus. Maybe attend one of the expo that are held in the UK and speaking to the agents there. Again research it

I'm sure in your career there is a call for your skills and you could land a job before you came over so maybe that would be a factor in where you apply etc

We researched all the areas that appealed and then came for a holiday to validate our visa first we did find that all the areas were as we thought and loved all of them but you do get a feel for a few more than others

Personally it's the best thing we've done, should have come 20 years ago - I don't have children but I have noticed, certainly where we are the children are children longer and have so much to look forward to here with the lifestyle.

Good luck with your adventure
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Probably good for your son, but I can't adjust and want to get back to our home near Alicante, Spain, as soon as possible. There are lots of things that really annoy me, but the worst is the continual 'Brain Washing' that Australia is the best country in the world (every other word seems to be 'Australia'),believe me it isn't, it can be very boring, especially if you are retired and we've had two attempts at it (our family live here).
Wait to get back to
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Probably good for your son, but I can't adjust and want to get back to our home near Alicante, Spain, as soon as possible. There are lots of things that really annoy me, but the worst is the continual 'Brain Washing' that Australia is the best country in the world (every other word seems to be 'Australia'),believe me it isn't, it can be very boring, especially if you are retired and we've had two attempts at it (our family live here).
Wait to get back to
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Wow thanks guys! I know I've got a lot to think about before making any hard and fast decisions.
My sons father is not an issue, he is happy for us to make the move and very supportive.
I don't like the sound of earthquakes! I suppose I'll have to way up the pros and cons for both countries and see how I feel about them both. I'd love to go out on holiday and visit the areas of interest but unfortunately finances won't allow that.

Wendy66, your post gives me some confidence! I understand I have lots to research, and I have started making contact with friends in Oz for information etc. I do like your suggestion of making a list of what we want and researching it from there.

Thank you everyone!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you Saxy. It's good to hear both sides of the story and I understand it's not for everyone. :-)
Old Jan 31st 2013, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry it hasn't worked out for you Saxy. It's good to hear both sides of the story and I understand it's not for everyone. :-)
Hi again,
No need to be sorry because life in Spain is fantastic (if you are retired), with lots of history/culture. Visiting places like Saville with its wonderful historic buildings (sadly, something Australia doesn't have and this is what I miss most!)
I think that the reason that OZ is so sport orientated, is that there is very little else to do, especially if you are retired, except the exciting trips to the Westfield shopping malls.
I play tenor sax, and when we arrived, I hired one, expecting to travelling around 'jamming' with R&B/Blues bands, as advertised in the 'Gig Guides'. Only to find that the dates were wrong, the gigs had been cancelled or double booked
(They couldn't organise an event at a brewery!!!!!!!). So far I have had only one 'sit in' and that was with the excellent 'Muma Janes Blues Band' .
All of these things, along with the terrible OZ TV (lots of them 30 year old U.S. & U.K program's) and dangerous lack of lane discipline on the roads, are what turned me against O.Z. but the people are generally GREAT!

Rant Over

P.S. Sorry about my last double post, it's this blasted iPad. It has a mind of it's own
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
Hi again,
No need to be sorry because life in Spain is fantastic (if you are retired), with lots of history/culture. Visiting places like Saville with its wonderful historic buildings (sadly, something Australia doesn't have and this is what I miss most!)
Wow .... whenever I visit Spain I bypass the history, churches, and museums which I find incredibly boring and head straight for the beach or the vinyards.

Luckily we are all different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.