Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering Brisbane??

Considering Brisbane??

Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Considering Brisbane??

Originally Posted by heilel
I recently (about 2 months ago) moved to Brisbane from the UK with my wife and 2 young kids and work in Toowong.
I settled on living in Taringa, which is fairly pricey, but seeing as I can walk to to work I haven't bothered buying a car yet and when I DO get a car, I won't be using it for commuting, so will save lots of money that way.
Taringa, Indooropilly and their surrounding areas are lovely and loads of facilities and very good schools as well.
That and there's loads of public transport to wherever you want to get to as well. The city centre is very close and accessible.
I agree. The train, citycat, busses and major bikeway from Toowong make the city very accessible. The area also has some of the cities best schools, some great streets with lovely old character homes, the university, mt coot-tha, pubs, cafes, shops etc. It is a great area of Brisbane imo but would need more info to know if it was right for you...note that Brisbane is a river city, not a beach city, so if you love the beach I wouldn't recommend it, except maybe redcliffe.

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 4th 2012 at 2:52 am.
Old Nov 4th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Dominich1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,I'm also new to the forum
Me an my husband are trying to make our way out there we are finding it difficult to settle on a place to go. we originally was settling on Perth until we got told it's not good at the moment for bricklayers so I'm just wondering if this is the case all over Australia,iv read the above and noticed brisbane is looking quite promising,we also have children to think about so good parks and schools so we can settle in and make new friends and meet other families
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2012, 2:57 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dominich1981
Hi,I'm also new to the forum
Me an my husband are trying to make our way out there we are finding it difficult to settle on a place to go. we originally was settling on Perth until we got told it's not good at the moment for bricklayers so I'm just wondering if this is the case all over Australia,iv read the above and noticed brisbane is looking quite promising,we also have children to think about so good parks and schools so we can settle in and make new friends and meet other families
Any suggestions would be great
Thanks
Hi Dominich1981 and welcome to the forum.

I hate to put a downer on things but do you have a visa or do you know if you entitled to one?

Have a look here, which will give you a start. Apologies if you have the visa side of things sorted. If you do, if you let us know what sort of visa you have / are applying for, we can help you further.

See how you go. If you get stuck you can ask question in this forum. Good luck.

Enjoy B.E.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Dominich1981 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,we have passed the point scheme,we are wanting to start the process soon as but my wife is wanting to find a suitable place to go first where's there work an also schools,
With the visa side would you suggest going with a company or doing it yourself ?