Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Considering the ACT

Considering the ACT

Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:46 am
Just Joined

ACT anyone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Considering the ACT

Is anyone on here based in the ACT or has friends/knows people that love there - Aussie or immigrants?

We have 3 small kids, 2 girls and a boy, only one is is school at the moment, in reception.

We have researched the ACT online but have found few people who have emigrated there....

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Considering the ACT

Originally Posted by ACT anyone
Is anyone on here based in the ACT or has friends/knows people that love there - Aussie or immigrants?

We have 3 small kids, 2 girls and a boy, only one is is school at the moment, in reception.

We have researched the ACT online but have found few people who have emigrated there....

Thanks
I meant 'live' there - though if they 'love' it too then even better!!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:56 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Many jobs in ACT require Aussie citizenship. That's why not many go there as their first stop.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:06 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Considering the ACT

Originally Posted by Paul2O
Many jobs in ACT require Aussie citizenship. That's why not many go there as their first stop.
Really? That is interesting. What about if you are on a 176 visa and therefore a permanent resident?

We will investigate further...thank you.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:10 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ACT anyone
Really? That is interesting. What about if you are on a 176 visa and therefore a permanent resident?

We will investigate further...thank you.
I find ACT 176 visa to be self-contradictory. I mean you are giving visa to a foreigner to live and work in ACT, but most jobs in ACT require Aussie citizenship. So, what's the point?
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul2O
I find ACT 176 visa to be self-contradictory. I mean you are giving visa to a foreigner to live and work in ACT, but most jobs in ACT require Aussie citizenship. So, what's the point?
I am assuming that because Canberra is the capital and predominantly the jobs are public sector/government depts. the citizenship issue arrises for security reasons?

That said as a functioning city it must have other industries which do not have the same restrictions such as accountants/law firms/banks/insurance....

Thanks for the heads up. We will be sure to ask the right questions of the employment agencies we have been in touch with.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 1:12 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There are plenty of people living and working in ACT who don't have citizenship. There are a few on here who live or lived there - relatively happily. Paulry is there, Quoll has lived there for years, currently back in the UK are the only two who come immediately to mind.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 3:08 pm
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There are plenty of people living and working in ACT who don't have citizenship. There are a few on here who live or lived there - relatively happily. Paulry is there, Quoll has lived there for years, currently back in the UK are the only two who come immediately to mind.
It depends on occupation also I guess. As an IT person, I feel that the chance is pretty slim for me.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 7:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

It's a fine place to live even though there will be those who say it is dull as ditch water. Lots of excellent facilities, clean, accessible, reasonable housing and education (housing can be expen$ive though). Close enough to snow fields, beach, Sydney and anything else you are likely to want. Weather is nicely seasonal which is also a plus.

However, jobs (especially in IT) can be very hard to find as the largest employer only employs citizens. Local government employs permanent residents so on a 176 you should be fine. Watch out if you are on a 457 as you can incur massive fees for education if your occupation is not in demand.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by quoll
It's a fine place to live even though there will be those who say it is dull as ditch water. Lots of excellent facilities, clean, accessible, reasonable housing and education (housing can be expen$ive though). Close enough to snow fields, beach, Sydney and anything else you are likely to want. Weather is nicely seasonal which is also a plus.

However, jobs (especially in IT) can be very hard to find as the largest employer only employs citizens. Local government employs permanent residents so on a 176 you should be fine. Watch out if you are on a 457 as you can incur massive fees for education if your occupation is not in demand.
OH is in IT and on a 457 visa and worked in Canberra over the last 3 months as a contractor (for a Government dept) so it can be done.

I fully agree both on the dull bit and on the excellent facilities bit. Canberra is like a sprawling green suburb; could be great to raise a family there but not for the night-life oriented (unless you like Bridge)
Old Apr 13th 2012, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

I think the citizenship requirement applies to permanent federal public service jobs and not so much to IT contracting or local government jobs. There has been a critical shortage of IT contractors and still is I think. However, everyone is talking about big budget cuts next financial year (starts 1 July), so there may well be a downturn then.

Otherwise Canberra is a good place to bring up a family and, in my opinion, probably provides a better quality of life for the average punter with a family than the bigger cities.