Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Congrats to the Woods

Congrats to the Woods

Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Congrats to the Woods

I'm suprised at the lack of a Douglas Woods thread tonight

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15623959-2,00.html

But then, I suppose he's not a young attractive girl from the Gold coast, so its not worth wasting any thought over him

Well I for one am happy to see him freed. I read the letter he wrote to his daughter a few months ago, and it was heartbreaking.

Great bit of news,

JTL
Old Jun 15th 2005, 12:55 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Congrats to the Woods

Dagboy told me just a short while ago, I think its excellent news especially after the horrible things that have happened in the last 12 months to hostages over there.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:09 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Yep have to say its the best new ever glad it will be the end of suffering for his family and friends and him.But it is also a hard decision to make i have to say i would not think of going out there to work knowing what could happen,At the end of the day you know the risks when you go out there so you should be prepared to pay the price as so many before him did and our thoughts are still with the family's that still suffer.But as you say congrats to the woods.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 2:08 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, great stuff. I hadn't expected it!

First I thought they said he had been freed(so it sounded like they let him go), but then when I heard it properly, it is that American and Iraqi troops rescued him.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simone
Yep, great stuff. I hadn't expected it!

First I thought they said he had been freed(so it sounded like they let him go), but then when I heard it properly, it is that American and Iraqi troops rescued him.

It sounds like a mixture of both. According to the australian muslim spokesman on lifeline tonite, the captors moved him to a safe house to be collected. The americans thought 'ha ha safe house, heard that before ' so burst in with all guns blazing.

But it will all become clear in the next few days.

Main thing is, he's safe and well, great result. And his family carried themselves with amazing dignity during the ordeal. I think this is one sad incident where nearly everyone has come out smelling of roses. Apart from the kidnapping scum of course

JTL
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:23 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Pleased for his family but WTF was he doing there in the first place?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
The americans thought 'ha ha safe house, heard that before ' so burst in with all guns blazing.
Let's hope they killed the *****s.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bridiej
Pleased for his family but WTF was he doing there in the first place?

Earning a wage? Rebuilding the country. Helping them? Taking a risk, and being paid triple as danger money? Tempting, but it can go belly up some times.

Still doesn't make him as guilty as Ms Corby, But he's not as pretty

JTL
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:05 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

He'd better lock his suitcase on the way back.

It was a bit strange the way that the news broke , but confusion abounds when everyone struggles to tell the same story 1st. If the Troops did rescue him without the Mullah's help then that puts the Mullah in an awkward position and compromises future intervention by religious leaders.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 1:29 am
Scottish Aussie ©

Scossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond reputeScossie has a reputation beyond repute

Yup....
Excellent news.

I must say I didn't think we'd see him again after what's happened to previous hostages.

He looked really well on TV considering what he's been through.
Apparently, the first questions he asked were, "Does anybody have any beer?"
and, "Does anybody know where Geelong are on the AFL Ladder?"....

You can take the boy out of Australia, but.............
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:11 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Scossie
Yup....
Excellent news.

I must say I didn't think we'd see him again after what's happened to previous hostages.

He looked really well on TV considering what he's been through.
Apparently, the first questions he asked were, "Does anybody have any beer?"
and, "Does anybody know where Geelong are on the AFL Ladder?"....

You can take the boy out of Australia, but.............

Thank God he wasn't a Carlton man, he might have wanted to stay in custody.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of praise should also go to the Australian Mufti who went through every effort to keep him alive as long as possible. Without his intervention Douglas Wood may not be with us today.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bondipom
A lot of praise should also go to the Australian Mufti who went through every effort to keep him alive as long as possible. Without his intervention Douglas Wood may not be with us today.

Absolutely.

The media are debating exactly how useful he was, or whether it was him who secured the release, but the fact is, he went out of his way, put alot of effort in, and got the wished for result. So a big pat on the back, hopefully might lead to some sort of recognition too.

Still can't believe this story had a happy ending

JTL
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Absolutely.

The media are debating exactly how useful he was, or whether it was him who secured the release, but the fact is, he went out of his way, put alot of effort in, and got the wished for result. So a big pat on the back, hopefully might lead to some sort of recognition too.

Still can't believe this story had a happy ending

JTL
I don't think the truth of the matter will come out and I am pleasantly suprised at the eventual outcome. Lets hope he can make it through death alley on the way to the airport.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
I hate to think what would have happened with out him. And it looks like big Johnny H is going to try to play down his part in it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.